ysbreker

Meet the Pyro - The last of the meet the team videos

Well, if you're really desperate to play original TF2, you could go and find a copy of the Orange Box on X360 or PS3. I mean, it would be weird if the console multiplayer wasn't thriving, right?

Yeah I actually would kill for a server flag to only allow original items (original TF2 items I mean, not TFC)

Pretty sure that exists, or at least a mod certainly does.

I think it's funny how fitting this old 4chan post was:

DPCV2.jpg

And I have to completely disagree that the competitive game was good at launch. TF2 had one of the most disorganized competition scenes ever. People couldn't agree on formats, maps and modes were extremely unbalanced, and even when things settled down it was clear the game was a Pub server game being shoehorned into a competitive format. Valve has made updates that would make competitive play much more feasible, but now everyone's stuck with the old rules. 6v6 on CP maps is just a completely crazy way to play TF2.

Also I think it's funny whenever TFC fans complain about TF2, because I have friends that were crazy into the original Quake TF mod, and they wouldn't touch TFC with a 10 foot clown pole. Most of them prefer mods like the Enemy Territory TF. It seems everyone's got their version that they consider the best. I'm definitely that way with DoD vs DoD:Source. But TF2 is such a different game, that I don't think it's even worth comparing it to old TF mods.

The one actual criticism I can have of the current TF2 is not allowing an option for classic mode, but they have their reasoning, It would just be nice and maybe an interesting way to introduce new players by going into classic mode then progressively flipping the switch for the new stuff.
Yeah I actually would kill for a server flag to only allow original items (original TF2 items I mean, not TFC)

Though this was a valid criticism for a little while after the new items launched, I recall an update including this setting a very long time ago. I've never seen a public server have it enabled though.

EDIT: You know, if they did add it (I'm sure I saw it way back) then they've hidden it well. All a server needs to do is disconnect itself from the item server to make itself vanilla again though...

I enjoyed the video.

Edit: I wanted to love TF2, but always found it frustrating early on. I just couldn't rack up kills the way I have in other games, and while pretty biased toward Demoman, never found a class that really seemed to suit me.

I wanted to love TF2, but I got Orange Box on Xbox. :( By the time I got my act together nobody I knew was playing TF2, and that was it.

Q3A and CS were the last multiplayer FPS games I seriously got into. I'd love to be as obsessed with another FPS.

I forget how it happened exactly, but I got all games in the Orange Box without getting the OB itself, all for free or cheap on Steam. The one left out was TF2, but then the day came where the game became free to obtain.

I still haven't played it. Not because of lack of interest, but because my current location has bad ping rates (I don't mean that BS "ugh 50 latency WTF" nerd rage, I mean 300 on a good day). Plus there's a fear of jumping into a game so late into its life with a bunch of veterans that are going to be mad at me learning.

. Plus there's a fear of jumping into a game so late into its life with a bunch of veterans that are going to be mad at me learning.

If you pick a random server its more than likely just going to be a free for all for the lulz. People don't really seem to care as long as they are having fun. Your ping might get you auto kicked thouhg:(

I too did miss grenades, but I think there was a sweet spot of TF2 that had a lot of awesome.... I can't think of the word... synergy? between classes and become a really complex system of rock, paper, scissors. It was great.

For me TF2's sweet spot was right after all of the classes had their first big update, but before the Steam Community/MannCo store came out. Each class basically had their default loadout, and one alternate set to tweak them slightly. It wasn't quite as clean as the initial locked-in release, but there were few enough variations that you could easily tell what everyone had, and it gave each class a little bit of offensive/defensive variant so you could have duped classes on the same team serving slightly different purposes. I'm sure everyone has different "sweet spots" for when TF2 was ideal for them, but that was the time for me. It feels way oversaturated with crazy unlocks at this point, but I still enjoy hopping onto a server occasionally and killing guys.

Also I think it's funny whenever TFC fans complain about TF2, because I have friends that were crazy into the original Quake TF mod, and they wouldn't touch TFC with a 10 foot clown pole. Most of them prefer mods like the Enemy Territory TF. It seems everyone's got their version that they consider the best. I'm definitely that way with DoD vs DoD:Source. But TF2 is such a different game, that I don't think it's even worth comparing it to old TF mods.

I played a lot of QWTF and couldn't stand TFC at all. The movement and jumping and reload time and way the netcode worked were all baffling to me. It felt like a completely different, way clunkier game. That probably wasn't actually true, but I couldn't get into it. (This is actually true for all HL1 engine-based multiplayer. TFC, Counter-Strike, and HL1 DM all drove me crazy because the movement just felt crappy to me for some reason.) I played some Q3F when that came out, but the closest thing to capture the feeling and tone for me of my friends old QuakeWorld TF LAN parties is definitely TF2, even if its mechanically very different.

For me TF2's sweet spot was right after all of the classes had their first big update, but before the Steam Community/MannCo store came out. Each class basically had their default loadout, and one alternate set to tweak them slightly. It wasn't quite as clean as the initial locked-in release, but there were few enough variations that you could easily tell what everyone had, and it gave each class a little bit of offensive/defensive variant so you could have duped classes on the same team serving slightly different purposes. I'm sure everyone has different "sweet spots" for when TF2 was ideal for them, but that was the time for me. It feels way oversaturated with crazy unlocks at this point, but I still enjoy hopping onto a server occasionally and killing guys.

Yeah, fully agree, I guess when I refer to "classic" I mean pretty much the time before the store and specifically, somewhere around the scout upgrade. I liked the idea of different load outs and it was hilarious to have to switch back and for just to "outwit" the other guys and it was all pretty manageable to keep track of at one point, but as you said, it's now over saturated.

I should boot it up again since I haven't tried it since getting a new graphics card, I still love the art and still worth checking out just to bounce around and shoot some things.

The only thing I think is tarnishing the game for me right now is the paints. I enjoy the randomness of new items and weapons, and aside from a few exceptions I feel like the insanity masks any balance issues. But the paints... they just make decent items look awful.

I really do enjoy logging on after months of inactivity and being surprised by the items everyone is carrying

G6kT1.jpg