Nappi

The Cave: Ron Gilbert's Double Fine Game (A Tim Schafer Production) (Not Double Fine Adventure)

Are people really complaining about the animation? I like it. It's humorous enough and conveys an individual sense of movement for each character. (Special mention goes to the Hillbilly's footsteps on the stone floors).

I agree--I love the sound the characters make as they traverse the levels and the animations for how each character physically moves. It kind of makes up for the climbing/jumping deficiencies.

Arrgh.. I was stuck in the time traveler level for 30+ minutes just because

I wasn't holding the boulder when I switched between the characters. Just standing in front of it was not enough for some reason.

Apart from that, I have enjoyed the game a lot so far.

Finished it once, with Adventurer, Twins, Monk. The puzzles are fun, and platforming is ok, except that you are going through the same sections again and again as you try to come up with solutions. I think there's a good reason most platformers have you just go forward all the time, with perhaps a little bit of occasional back-tracking. It just doesn't work that well when the platforming is put between puzzle pieces. Shortcuts that you can unlock would probably have been a good solution, or teleporting to other characters. But other than that, it seems to be a really good game so far! I'll try at least a 2nd playthrough soon.

Anyone figured out the supposed "good" endings?

When the guy who ask for trinkets gives you your reward, you can give it back.

That's way less exciting than I imagined! I thought there was maybe different solutions to the puzzles.

Anyhow, this is still one sweet game. It might actually be my favourite DF game outside of Psychonauts. I don't understand complaints about the narrator or animation (unless there's some glitches I'm not getting on my system). It's a very charming game. Love the graphics and especially the sound. The stories are great and the humour is good, too. (Loved the future's interpretation of simple items like keys.)

Lots of Mi references in this game as well: Getting a monkey to follow you with bananas. Getting a parrot to follow you with crackers. A hermit on a desert island. Although that was more surreal than anything else.

On the bad side, yes there's far too much traipsing around. Exploration is fun, but solving the puzzles shouldn't be a chore. I keep thinking I've missed some teleportation option. Also, having to complete the same three "bridge" puzzles is a chore, too.

The story cards are beautiful, or they would be, but they're partially ruined by the scaling algorithm they've used. It obliterates the artwork and makes it hard on the eyes. I really hope they fix that - why have beautiful artwork and then present it in such a poor way?

In all, this is still a personal fave thanks to the concept and the stories.

The sound? Really? That was my biggest downer, unless my version is glitched all I heard was ambient wind blowing and a few notes in special levels, like I said before my game was way too silent for DF game.

I keep thinking I've missed some teleportation option.

The ability to teleport to certain locations or to other characters would probably have affected the puzzles too much. At least your companions catch up with you once you reach a "checkpoint".

I finished the game two times. I like the character specific puzzles a lot. I have yet to experience the hillbilly story, but I think that will wait a little bit, because 5/6th of the playthrough would be repetition. Have they talked about DLC yet?

The ability to teleport to certain locations or to other characters would probably have affected the puzzles too much. At least your companions catch up with you once you reach a "checkpoint".

I finished the game two times. I like the character specific puzzles a lot. I have yet to experience the hillbilly story, but I think that will wait a little bit, because 5/6th of the playthrough would be repetition. Have they talked about DLC yet?

I wonder if they could have at least allowed you to teleport objects between characters?

It seems like you've completed it using the same characters I have, except I'm currently stuck... Any help?

I'm stuck on the island with The Twins, The Monk and The Adventurer... but I can't find the Femur anywhere. Therefore I can't get Sparky to bark, to record it on Parrot, to make the Hermit leave the boat. Did I miss something? The Femur definitely is not where you find the explosive barrels... :(

Here's an example of what they've done with the artwork, too. I've no idea why they did this. It just ruins the awesome art.

Original artwork on the left, screenshot on the right.

original-cave_zps5e7f56b0.jpg

It seems like you've completed it using the same characters I have, except I'm currently stuck... Any help?

I'm stuck on the island with The Twins, The Monk and The Adventurer... but I can't find the Femur anywhere. Therefore I can't get Sparky to bark, to record it on Parrot, to make the Hermit leave the boat. Did I miss something? The Femur definitely is not where you find the explosive barrels... :(

It was under the explosive barrel closest to the gate on both of my playthroughs. If it is not there and if you are sure you haven't moved it, then that sounds like a nasty game-breaking bug. :(

It was under the explosive barrel closest to the gate on both of my playthroughs. If it is not there and if you are sure you haven't moved it, then that sounds like a nasty game-breaking bug. :(

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Hehe. I played the exact same combo.

Did you try rolling away the TNT barrels? Maybe it was behind one of them, can't remember.

Hehe. I played the exact same combo.

Did you try rolling away the TNT barrels? Maybe it was behind one of them, can't remember.

Yeah, as I said, the boat's on the other side of the island... there's no more barrels to roll :(

Have you tried restarting yet? It seems to reset at least some of the item positions. (Or at least that ones that were in your hands, appear next to you in the ground.)

EDIT: heh.. too slow.

So... Seven characters, seven deadly sins. Co-incidence? :)

Pride: Adventurer. She wants to be more famous than her partners.

Envy: Time Traveler. She's jealous of her collegue.

Wrath: Monk. He's angry that he's not good enough.

Sloth: Knight. He's too lazy to actually take the time to become a real Knight.

Avarice: Scientist. Succumbs to her own greed.

Lust: Hillbilly. Wants the girl.

Gluttony: Twins. Hmm. A tricky one. I guess they want to play outside more than their parents want them to?

So... Seven characters, seven deadly sins. Co-incidence? :)

Pride: Adventurer. She wants to be more famous than her partners.

Envy: Time Traveler. She's jealous of her collegue.

Wrath: Monk. He's angry that he's not good enough.

Sloth: Knight. He's too lazy to actually take the time to become a real Knight.

Avarice: Scientist. Succumbs to her own greed.

Lust: Hillbilly. Wants the girl.

Gluttony: Twins. Hmm. A tricky one. I guess they want to play outside more than their parents want them to?

Gluttony has nothing to with that, but they poison soup, which kills their parents so at least their parent's gluttony were their undoing?

Gluttony has nothing to with that, but they poison soup, which kills their parents so at least their parent's gluttony were their undoing?

That's not really gluttony, either :-/

So has anyone else tried local co-op for this on PC yet? I played a session with my gf for a little over an hour last night and I just have to say neither of us enjoyed the experience.

It feels shoehorned in the same way Tails was when he first was introduced into the Sonic games. A second player could control Tails but there was absolutely no point in doing so as the camera always centered on Sonic (and the first player). The Cave allows for multiple players to control characters but then fails to design the game in such a way as to properly allow for this style of play.

The main problem of course is the camera. It only focuses on one character at a time and there is no split screen. This wouldn't necessarily break the game if the levels were as linear as in Trine or Rayman: Origins. But they're meant to be explored, and the group is meant to split up quite often when solving puzzles. The only other way this wouldn't break multiplayer is if there was online play but there isn't currently, afaik.

The other problem is being forced to have 3 characters even when there are only two human players present. Trine solved this by having one of the characters only teleport in when selected. While it wasn't perfect, it was a whole lot more competent than the way it works in The Cave. While it's true that the third character warps in once you've hit a checkpoint, most of the time you're going to have to select that third character and force them to run to the relavent position to solve a puzzle. And often it's both of you trying to select the third character at once, prompting all kinds of confusion and name calling.

Honestly, the only play style that The Cave seems designed for is single player with one player in control of all three characters. I can't recommend playing any other way, sadly. (unless the WiiU version has split screen which i'm assuming it does)

So has anyone else tried local co-op for this on PC

My wife and I are about 2 hours into the coop, and it is terrible. I thought it would be like Trine's coop, but because of the 'three person to solve' puzzle design, it means we have to babysit three characters the whole way through the game.

We are currently in a section that only allows one character in it at the present moment, so only one of us gets to control a character for large chunks of time, and it is really frustrating and annoying.

Earlier we were completely stuck on a puzzle involving mine carts, because the camera refused to follow the character in the mine cart, and instead showed the other two characters. It took about 20 minutes of experimenting and tedious backtracking to try to work it out, but turns out it wasn't a puzzle, it was just terrible camera design.

I don't think that I would keep playing if I was playing it single player, just because I haven't found it particularly funny, and the amount of backtracking, and character babysitting you need to to do is tedious.

She craves Fame, not Fortune.

But fame and pride don't have to go hand in hand. Fame means you want everybody to know you, pride means you think you have done or are something great and noteworthy, but the Adventurer did something she shouldn't be proud of for fame. Of course since she doesn't talk and all we have about her is what the Cave says and the pictures, we know she doesn't share and not sharing is more greedy than prideful, but we do not know if she did it out of jealousy, hubris or what, all we know is that she wants to be famous, we don't know if she is proud of killing her friends or not.