Patters

Show me your desk/gaming space

I think I have the same keyboard as well or at least an earlier iteration, if the one you're talking about is the Logitech G15.

Yeah, I have the G15. The case I have is a Xigmatek Asgard, and Raff's looks suspiciously like it from the little I can see.

Here's my desk:

EMC5M.jpg?1

Setup is more elaborate and desk more messy for two reasons. One, my desktop tower fried something, probably the processor, so it's dead for the moment, thus the laptop hooked up to all the desktop stuff. And two, my bachelor thesis is due delivered in two days, thus stack of books and general disorder.

The iPad is usually strewn on my bed somewhere.

That's also a G15, but the generation after you guyses. It glows orange and has an LED screen, because video games.

Here's my TV and playthings, taken from the view of my bed.

gZmBj.jpg?1

I just have to publicly applaud your choice of open tabs for all three screens in that shot. :clap:

I have no plans to return your keyboard, case or spectacles at this time.

The case has two fans at the front which I don't have connected because they glow blue. Maybe they'll shed some light on whether it is the same case.

Keyboard is a G11, the one without the screen but copious extra buttons which I used to use for accents before I gave up studying French. Never really found a use for it for games.

The case has two fans at the front which I don't have connected because they glow blue. Maybe they'll shed some light on whether it is the same case.

I actually had to shake my head at that pun. I don't think it's the same case as mine, then, as mine only has one fan at the front I believe, and it does not have LEDs.

I have no plans to return your keyboard, case or spectacles at this time.

Keyboard is a G11, the one without the screen but copious extra buttons which I used to use for accents before I gave up studying French. Never really found a use for it for games.

Yeah, maybe it's just because I'm not a hardcore MMO player but I've never had any use for macro keys. I wish that Logitech wouldn't dedicate so much space to them. Even media keys or out-of-box shortcuts to My Computer and Calculator might be more useful.

Even media keys or out-of-box shortcuts to My Computer and Calculator might be more useful.

I have some media keys but they often feel like they're the wrong ones (on either Linux or Windows). Mute & Volume buttons are a must, and a Play/Pause key would be nice but I don't have.

We have now learned it really is Toblix in his avatar. Wouldn't have startled otherwise!

No, that's Miffy.

For some reason I find it really strange to see a photo of my desk on another monitor.

Returning to the thrilling subject of multiple-monitor set-ups, I do get the value, and it's an idea I've found appealing for a long time; I'm just surprised with the rapidity with which it's apparently become commonplace (or with the abundance of instances I've recently encountered, anyway). Up until recently I've viewed it as quite an extravagant arrangement (particularly outside of specialized technical contexts), but all of a sudden it would appear I'm the one bozo who missed the extra monitors bus. I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but I do so little productive work on my home computer it'd be a fairly pointless expense, and although people say that I could moan for one at work, I'd have to make a case for why they need to spend that money, and my conviction would be thoroughly undermined by my knowledge that I get along just fine without. It would be cool, though. I'd quite like to have a vertically-aligned second monitor. I can do that with my home monitor, but it'd be a bit silly for my primary display. Besides, as I just said, I don't really do any work at home.

Also, I remapped my stupid non-media keys (website, e-mail and whatever) to volume control, because that's way more useful.

I just decided to go from two monitors back to one, so don't think you're alone.

I sometimes find it useful to have a second screen if I'm working on something and need to be available for interruption. Something about things like IM, browser and email being on one screen, and my main workspace on the other makes it easier for me to not get distracted.

(Usually though, if I'm drafting or something, I prefer to be able to switch everything else off).

It's also insanely useful when learning new software: PDF manual or webpage on one screen, and software on the other cuts out so much time you'd otherwise spend dicking around with your OS.

I don't use the second monitor as much as I'd like, partly because I have no permanent workspace at home, but it was pretty cheap for what it is. Around £100 - £150 for a 21 to 23 inch, 1080p monitor when I bought it about a year ago.

Yeah, at work it's super useful and if they took my second monitor away I would instantly die. It's at home I've decided having a second monitor is too much of a hassle to offset the tiny benefit I get by running a maximised uTorrent window on it.

2 monitors is something which I have grown to need. I use both monitors extensively. From having streams on the left monitor casually. Skype, Xsplit, media players are exclusively run on the left monitor. In addition to this my 360 is connected to the left monitor.

2 monitors is something which I have grown to need. I use both monitors extensively. From having streams on the left monitor casually. Skype, Xsplit, media players are exclusively run on the left monitor. In addition to this my 360 is connected to the left monitor.

I've used two monitors at work for years and I would suck without that, even though I really mainly use the primary one and the secondary one is for when I really feel like I need to see two things at once.

You can present a very clear case to them: if a 2nd monitor only increases productivity for 1% the price of a second monitor will be earned back within months.

The math is easy. e.g. you earn 3000 a month, 1% is 30. So it takes 10 months to earn back the investment of a monitor that costs 300. If you look it from the employers side, it's even better, because you probably cost the company 6000 a month, so the 300 is earned back in 5 months.

Just ordered this guy for delivery at the end of this week/beginning of next week - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033J90N8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I could really use a desk with drawers and a concealed cabinet for the computer, considering I have two very nosy cats... one of which loves chewing on wires and the other which likes stealing small objects off countertops. Next up, a new monitor. I think I'm going to get the Dell U2412 24" 1920x1200 monitor, but I'm not 100% sure. After that, peripherals including a new keyboard (the old one is at least 3 years old and quite gross) and probably a new mousepad.

Anyone have suggestions on a mousepad? There's way too much selection for a seemingly minor accessory.

I've never really liked having two monitors, the divide bothers me. I much prefer to have a larger monitor (24 inches or above) and I kind of just throw my windows all over the place, never maximising anything. Suits my chaotic working style, anyway.

computer.jpg

for a chaotic workstyle you have a really organized desk

Haha, yes it seems that my OCD doesn't extend into my virtual world for some reason.

Oh, just realised this thread is for gaming areas too. Haven't got a fresh shot so this one from Christmas will have to do (both taken from roughly the same spot coincidentally):

christmas-tree.jpg

That looks lovely.

I wish I had room here for my

That looks lovely.

I wish I had room here for my

Hah, my poor keyboard has been shoved into numerous spots before I finally shoved my shelves along a bit to make room for where it is in the first photo.

One of these days I'll sort out the big box o' crap that contains numerous books, films, games, etc. Anyone else have tasks that should be done right after moving that just linger for... years?