Brannigan

DOTA 2

I'd personally be fine with going back to one ancient camp per team just as a nerf to Sven.

The patch notes are out! http://www.dota2.com/duelingfates/

Patch is out tomorrow!!

There's so much stuff in here. It feels like it's 50/50 between new insane stuff and going back to battle.net lobbies called "dota 6.35b -apem no noobs no dl fast host". It's more like 90/10 but still.

APEM is back! All pick easy mode! With the added benefit of buying items anywhere. Creeps can sleep again after years of tireless vigil. I wonder if they fucked up and made the golems sleep. They used to be narrower ramps about 10 years ago so that's good that they finally changed it back.

All these talents and items are really cool, you can finally upgrade urn, there's so much stuff. There's a hammer that summons a meteor that deals damage to buildings!

Highlights of some of the new hero changes are 

WISP gets autoattacks off tethered ally?!

https://gyazo.com/936f32c10830ad5961a89fc5ba721bf0

Puck lvl 25 can machine gun with dream coil?!

Techies mines can MOVE?!

https://streamable.com/qup5p

Also there's 2 new heroes, they look neat but who cares those.

Join the pangolin fan club in #dota on the slack.

It’s that time of year again! How’s everyone liking the state of the game going into TI8?  I’ve found pro games to be pretty exciting lately, but the low-Ancient meta is kind of killing my personal game enjoyment.

Time for Liquid to be back-to-back champs!

On a different note, I've found the Dotaroyale mode to be pretty underwhelming. It feels very much like cat herding when I'm not with people I know, and I don't think the mode is going to be around long enough for winning strategies, comps, etc. to permeate through the broader playerbase. I do think the increased emphasis on the PvE side is interesting in comparison to other royalelikes, but it's difficult to appreciate when most rounds end up being very short. I wish Valve would let their interesting custom modes linger a bit longer than they usually do.

Did anyone watch TI8? I was actually in the arena for it, and it absolutely exceeded my expectations. Really well run event, and some amazing games played on the main stage.

Spoilers below for who won.

Spoiler

The team that won, OG, was a *huge* underdog. Their captain this past year, S4, has been around the pro scene forever. He is a very good player who has won a lot of major tournaments. However, he bailed on OG to rejoin one of his old teams three months before TI.

Another player from OG, Notail, stepped in to captain and the team's *coach* stepped up to fill the extra player spot. All on just 3 months notice, when the team wasn't exactly top of the season rating-wise in the first place. 

Then they come to TI with these weird, crazy drafts focusing on heroes nobody plays in the current meta like Axe, Underlord, etc. In *so* many of their matches they got totally crushed over and over again in the early game & ended up *so* far behind, only to turn it around at the 11th hour and somehow still pull out win after win.

They were the underdogs for the entire tournament, they were the underdogs game-to-game as they almost always started way behind, and then they consistently won in the most surprising and exciting ways every time it really mattered. It would be like if in basketball the huge favorites were up by 2 points, miss a shot right at the end of the game, and then with 1 second on the clock the underdogs overhand a court-long shot off the rebound and catch the 3 pointer... and they did this series after series. 

It was pretty incredible. When they turned some of the really hard games around people in the arena were absolutely losing their shit. It was really cool to be in the crowd to watch so many intense, surprising games where this (almost) nobody team somehow swept all of the favorites aside & won the whole damn thing.

Super fun. 

This has been the best TI. I only halfheartedly decided to start watching near the end of group stage and ended up being gripped again by the amazing games.

It helps that I've been a huge BigDaddy fan for basically all of his Dotes career. HoNtrash finally made it!

Yeah I agree it was the best TI yet. I hadn't played dota in like a year before the event, but it got me to start playing again this past weekend.

If anyone wants to see some really good games of dota I suggest LGD vs OG game 3 of the second last day, and games 4 and 5 of the same matchup in the grand final. All three were incredible, tense games.

Lost a bit of interest after Liquid dropped, but I'm glad I caught most of the grand finals. That was some great Dota.

The new hero looks kind of nuts. Saw some weird interactions with his ultimate and other abilities, including some that are clearly just outright broken. I'll be interested to see where he ends up getting run once people stop banning him every single game.

What do you think the most outrageous interactions are? Can it target allies? Does it double item abilities?

Obviously high damage single targets like Laguna blade or finger of death can be strong but I'm sure there are better examples. Chain frost could be pretty great.

If you can target allies an agha time laps could be hilarious on your 2 cores. Or shallow grave.

If you can double items then like double dagon or double Euls could be fun. I wonder about alch granting ages...? That'd be broken.

What would happen if you used it with replicate? Sunder? Duel?

I'm sure I'm missing a ton - this is just off the top of my head on the bus.

The Bane pair seems like the one with the most potential to me aside from all the fringe cases. Shadow Shaman too. The problem seems to be that you have almost no saves if you're running two offensive supports like this most of the time, and you risk getting run over pretty hard if you're not winning all your fights convincingly. I saw Waga playing him mid, so that might be an alternative that frees up another support with more... supporting abilities.