Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Jupiter's Folly

Too bad bugs can't accept treaties.

Pretty sure I'm gone.

AH man, thats sucks, I'm about to get pretty banged up soon by the bastards.

There are still two slots left; maybe you can just join again?

Ugh, made a damned bad call I think. Looks like I lost my first Black Guard unit because I expected the mechanics to work differently. The card disappeared when some bugs walked into my mine :/

I might be pretty well fucked here. I somehow got no money this payday (not sure what may have affected that), leaving me with full mines and an encroaching bugforce of some 40 or so with a couple levels each.

The bugs are surprisingly vicious, aren't they? I'm constantly shifting security forces around my territory to try to make sure there are no weak spots for the bugs to get in.

The love of a woman has led my mining empire to ruin! The one weekend in months we get to spend time together and it's the one after starting an Iron Helmet game. Ah well, I will rebuild!

If only my phone could display flash content I might stand a chance at these games. They really should make a mobile app, but only if they make it for my WP7 which every popular mobile dev seems to forget to do. Sigh.

F@#$ing bugs. Im just waiting desperately for a cyber/black guard card. I don't really know how to play the game, but I know once I get one of those, these bugs are gonna pay.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.... you can only put mines near the little blue mineral things. I was trying to figure out why I could put them on some nodes and not others.

Wished the art were more like crystals then dots.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.... you can only put mines near the little blue mineral things. I was trying to figure out why I could put them on some nodes and not others.

Wished the art were more like crystals then dots.

Also, the more patches of blue dots around a node, the faster the mine mines. Took me a while to realise this...

Also, the more patches of blue dots around a node, the faster the mine mines. Took me a while to realise this...

Damn, I was trying to figure out that too early, why some mines mine faster.

It's all coming together!

Too bad all my money is going into troops. Getting creamed and they get stronger all the time!

On one hand these later games don't seem to have much of the tension of Neptune's Pride (judging from the podcasts). On the other, I don't really want to play Neptune's Pride. Maybe these aren't for me.

Yeah I'm kind of with you on that. I wasn't particularly invested by the end, as all I was doing was containing bug infestations and making sure at least most of my mines were actually mining. That said, I was right next to Murdoc and could have betrayed and attacked him at any time and didn't really feel any desire to do that either.

I'm not sure the Iron Helmet games are my thing. Maybe they're one more activity (like professional StarCraft, for instance) that I enjoy hearing about from a talented communicator, but doesn't thrill me all that much for myself.

Yeah, I dont know how I feel about Jupiters Folly. I really enjoyed Neptunes Pride in the beginning, but it's just not something that I would regularly play.

Jupiter's Folly felt more like a coop game than pitting us against each other. Granted, if Gwar and I didn't make peace it may have had a more war element to it, but even then, I think the bugs were a bigger threat and we would have eventually either died or made peace. I never even met another player on the board because travelling was too dangerous.

The game just felt a bit flat, no tension, no escalation, and no real progression. I really liked the scope Neptune's gave players where you start off very tiny and slow, but by the end of it your juggling multiple fronts, with large numbers, at longer distances.

I guess it really comes down to that Jupiter feels more PVE(much like Blight) and Neptune was PVP. Also, I think there were some minor aesthetic reasons why I enjoy Neptune more.

I like the Ironhelms creative side, but after Neptune's their design choices are interesting/good and I want to like playing these more than I actually do.

edit: And that's a good point Gwar, I would like to see a professional match of this played, it might give some insight if it can be played differently and would be pretty aspirational. I'd just like to know if there isn't much to the game or I just dont know how to play.

And the thing is, even though I was doing OK I was never in a position to beat the bugs. So there's no way I could ever have, say, expanded into foreign territory to try to mine faster. Couldn't afford the mines to begin with.