Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

pV5bH.png

It just hit me how perfectly this models the actual act of going to a library in Venice and looking through all the shelves for something interesting.

No, I look nothing like that. It's Indiana Jones from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, an old LucasArts adventure game.

What is book?

Idle Indexfinger: We're probably all about books :tup:

Hey does anybody here know this adventure game called Grim Fandango? It was made in 1998 by Lucasarts.

Hey does anybody here know this adventure game called Grim Fandango? It was made in 1998 by Lucasarts.

Well, duh. Of course I've heard of it.

I've just never actually played it.

When i was young, i was exposed to Sierra adventure games.

It made me hate adventure games.

I did play Fate of Atlantis though, i loved it to death.

Fate of Atlantis is, to be fair, the best graphical adventure ever made. You should definitely try all the others LucasArts made though, they're all spectacular.

Is this a thinly veiled attempt to brag about visiting Venice?

On that note I visited Venice in 2009 and it looked like nothing I had been promised by people and countless movies like Last Crusade.

I felt cheated. ;(

On that note I visited Venice in 2009 and it looked like nothing I had been promised by people and countless movies like Last Crusade.

I felt cheated. ;(

What? I thought it was magical and wonderful, and almost exactly what I had expected. We're talking about Venice in Italy, right?

Yes, Venice in Italy. I went there by train from Trieste.

My bar was set really high, maybe too high. Many places felt too much like tourist traps.

Points that may have affected my views. A) Way too many tourists and booths selling tourist crap. B) Bad weather. C) Many walkways seemed closed so I couldn't go adventuring where I wanted to. D) I was accompanied by a group of factory workers from my company that got drunk during the Venice trip and spoiled my mood completely.

Not exactly the best starting point for a great trip to Venice, eh? So that polluted my views of seeing Venice as anything I had imagined it. I actually didn't really want to go there with those guys as I had always imagined Venice to be a romantic old place and I didn't want to see it with wrong people.

I did however see some nice places there, one of the walking bridges over one of the biggest canals was awesome. Also when I found the "central area" where the cathedral is, that cathedral was just mesmerizing when I saw it after all the disappointments. It might be that I was stuck for too long in the wrong places there.

I am planning to someday go back to Italy, with better company and by that I mean my wife. Maybe Venice will then show it's true colors, but I really wanted the first time to be that magical one. ;(

So you didn't break through some flooring in a library only to end up on a sundappled terrace a mile further?

I had completely forgot how completely awesome the Castle Brunwald section is. If you're looking for a sweet infiltration sim, this has everything: sneaking around, wearing uniforms, going up stairs, tricking, sweet-talking and bribing nazis...

Also, the dialogue in LucasArts games is so good. You can never reach this level of awesomeness with today's spoken lines.

Also, the dialogue in LucasArts games is so good. You can never reach this level of awesomeness with today's spoken lines.

*Ahem*

You can never reach this level of awesomeness with today's spoken lines.
*Ahem*

Spoken lines. The Ben & Dan games don't have voice acting! :grin:

You're misreading his words. Toblix --and I know this because I live inside his head-- means that spoken dialogue can't pull off the certain contrived charm that old Lucasarts lines can have.

An example of one of the many excellent dialogue tree traversals this game offers:

juxpS.png

The nazi guard demands the proper papers for passing:

Indy: That is out of the question.

Guard: No one passes without authorization!

Indy: Keep it down! This man with me is Gestapo!

Guard: Gestapo? Him? Do you have proof?

Indy: You have my word of honor. Trust me!

Guard: Trust you? I could be shot for letting you pass!

Indy: You spurn my trust? An insult!

Guard: Insult or not, you must have clearance.

Indy: Soldier! Do you realize you are out of uniform?

Guard: Out of uniform? What do you mean?

Indy: New orders have come through concerning uniforms.

Guard: New orders? From where?

Indy: Your superior officer, down the road.

Guard: Don't remember his name? Dummkopf!

(A fight ensues.)

Keep in mind that, for each of Indy's lines, there are three choices. There's a lot of reuse between guards, but there's always variations, and the correct path is always different. Dialogue puzzles truly are the best kind!

I want to play all Lucasarts adventure games chronologically in order from Maniac Mansion to Grim Fandango. It has been quite some time since last playthrough of each. Last Crusade as a game is really great, and very likely is the best movie game ever made, is it actually the only good movie game ever made?