toblix

Deus Ex

Trying to finish this for the second time before the sequel, and just finished the first level. I remembered the whole opening level as a huge ordeal, but I probably finished it in under half an hour. It might be less of a desire to explore every nook and cranny (I didn't free Gunther, but I did the little forklift puzzle) and it might be that I'm a lot less careful... the quicksaves are instantaneous now – were they as fast before, or were they annoyingly slow? I'm just wondering if that might be a contributing factor.

Also, experiencing the old school level design of the UNATCO base is pure gold. So many long and winding corridors. I didn't react to it at the time (that I can remember) but what a lame base. It's interesting that this game came out after Half-Life, which I remember (perhaps incorrectly) as noticeable for, among other things, having a realistic and logical level design.

Anyway, next up is Castle Clinton, which I can't remember. I probably won't finish this before Friday, but I intend to soak up what I can before then. Upgrading skills still feels totally sweet. I hope I find some more sniper ammo soon.

I love Deus Ex so much, probably played through it at least a dozen times, i feel like i know it inside and out.

Strange thing about that opening, i've been told by so many people that they tried to play Deus Ex and just couldn't bring themselves to finish that first level, so i push them to keep playing and they end up loving the game.

Something about that Liberty Island stage really scares people off.

It's interesting that this game came out after Half-Life, which I remember (perhaps incorrectly) as noticeable for, among other things, having a realistic and logical level design.

Two years after Half-Life, in fact, a game that you are definitely misremembering.

I heard the same thing on Giant Bomb, Sno and was surprised, because thats exactly what happened to me... twice.

Once when it came out and once when I bought that pack on Steam. Tried it, played it for less than 20 minutes, quite. Now I wonder if I should give it a third try and just run through the first level, on the other hand, I can just play a new one soon.

edit: oh the new one is out tomorrow, neat, I thought it was September or something later.

Edited by Murdoc

I started playing again earlier last week, but I've only just gotten to Hong Kong. I'm debating whether or not to spend the five or six hours until my game unlocks seeing if I can get through it.

The only thing that I really don't like about it looks like it is returning in HR: boss fights. Only one so far, but when your skills are focused on sneaking and hacking, open combat sucks augmented balls. The only reason I got past that fight was because I happened to have held on to a rocket launcher, and it's hard to shoot back when most of your pieces are scattered across the entrance to UNATCO HQ.

I loved Deus Ex when it first came out. I'm almost afraid to play it again in case it doesn't live up to my memories. I don't remember having too much trouble with the first level once it clicked. I probably did a poor job, but hiding in shadows and knocking out guards was so exhilarating once I figured out how to do it.

Hmm. That level was overwhelmingly big, now that I think about it... And you weren't given any direction. Totally unlike the rest of the game.

Also, I'm surprised more isn't made of it's prescience: The world has gone terrorist crazy after a terrorist attack on a New York landmark. Sure the rest is sci-fi, but that part showed keen insight and understanding, I thought.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Also, I'm surprised more isn't made of it's prescience: The world has gone terrorist crazy after a terrorist attack on a New York landmark. Sure the rest is sci-fi, but that part showed keen insight and understanding, I thought.

Ever notice that Deus Ex's New York skyline is missing the Twin Towers, and that Deus Ex came out a year before 9/11?

There's even a paragraph about it on the wikipedia page.

Also, experiencing the old school level design of the UNATCO base is pure gold. So many long and winding corridors. I didn't react to it at the time (that I can remember) but what a lame base. It's interesting that this game came out after Half-Life, which I remember (perhaps incorrectly) as noticeable for, among other things, having a realistic and logical level design.

Something that's notable about Deus Ex: Human Revolution is that it actually does have pretty realistic level design. There are often large sections of facilities that have nothing to do with your goals and don't need to be traversed at all unless you happen to decide to go that way and explore it. You can also often skip huge sections of certain buildings if you find ways in/through that don't involve using the corridors. I had a mission in a sizeable three story hotel that I only ever saw one corridor of because I got in from an adjoining rooftop right near where I had to go.

The only thing that I really don't like about it looks like it is returning in HR: boss fights. Only one so far, but when your skills are focused on sneaking and hacking, open combat sucks augmented balls. The only reason I got past that fight was because I happened to have held on to a rocket launcher, and it's hard to shoot back when most of your pieces are scattered across the entrance to UNATCO HQ.

Yeah, I've played one boss fight in DX:HR so far and it sucked. I was, as you said, sneaking and hacking and social focussed, so I actually died the first time I tried it. It's the only time I've died in the game so far that wasn't my own stupid fault (falling to my death, wandering into poison gas, trying to hide next to an armed security turret). I only finished it myself by using copious frag grenades and spraying and praying using the combat rifle I had saved for such a situation.

Okay, so I'm not going to play this through after all. It's dawning on my how huge it is, and how I'm not going to get the proper experience by rushing through it. I think I've refreshed my memory enough to be even more anxious to play it on Friday.

Does anyone know if Invisible War ended up having, you know... happened in Deus Ex 3?

Does anyone know if Invisible War ended up having, you know... happened in Deus Ex 3?

Who knows if anything in the first game will happen, either?

It's retconnin' time!

Yeah it's a prequel so it's mostly irrelevant, but I can say I've noticed a bunch of nods of the hat to Deus Ex (the original) in HR so far, despite never having finished the first game. I don't know anything about IW so there may or may not be allusions to it, but certainly in the pre-release talk they tended to sort of ignore it.

I actually started to play with it today, I tried to play with it before, but the controls confused me and I it simply didn't "click" with me.

Now I managed to get all the buttons mapped to a controller and I can actually play the game now!

Anyway, I don't know where I am, I just blew a generator and I'm back in New York. It bothers me that I can't kill an enemy with a headshot, maybe my accuracy is just too low? I just feels weird that headshots don't do that much and the shotgun I finally decided to pick can't kill an enemy even when I shoot him while right in front of them. The only stealth item that seems to work is the cattle prod, which is fun! :tup:

This mod is supposed to help accuracy with modern hardware... I can't vouch for it, though:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-enhanced

Also, this looks interesting:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1

And this increases the texture of the world, not the models or characters:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision/downloads/new-vision-version-10

Will it help my "stealthy kills"? I'm still kinda new to this kind of game, but I would really like to know if in these kind of games a stealth kill should be a one hit kill if done right?

That reminds me, when I started the game I stuck to the crossbow and used tranquilizer darts, it was rather hilarious to hit a guard and follow it and see it fall right in front of the alarm button, it was my own little meta game in that level.:grin:

Get yourself a laser sight, and instant kills (and in turn, stealth kills) becomes much easier.

Well the first mod I linked to seemed to suggest that there was a bug in the game when playing in anything but 4:3 (i.e. widescreen monitors), so there may be a genuine issue.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have played the System Shock games?

System Shock 2 = My favorite game.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have played the System Shock games?

System Shock 2 = My favorite game.

I started it somewhere around 2006-7 probably, but for some reason it didn't captivate me enough to make me finish it. I got bored after 10 hours or so. Also, I don't like BioShock much. But I loved Ultima Underworld.

I'd like to give it another try some time, though.

Will it help my "stealthy kills"? I'm still kinda new to this kind of game, but I would really like to know if in these kind of games a stealth kill should be a one hit kill if done right?

The stun prod and most (if not all) melee weapons will one-hit kill if you attack a dude from behind. A headshot will kill in the first few missions, but somehow enemies start being able to take to rounds to the head before dropping. As long as you're quick, it's not too much of a problem.

The stun prod and most (if not all) melee weapons will one-hit kill if you attack a dude from behind. A headshot will kill in the first few missions, but somehow enemies start being able to take to rounds to the head before dropping. As long as you're quick, it's not too much of a problem.

Are you sure? I haven't tried other melee weapons, but I always use the prod which usually needs two hits from behind for me to work?

PS: System Shock 1&2 have been on my list of game to get for ages, I hope GOG or someone else gets them soon!;(

Are you sure? I haven't tried other melee weapons, but I always use the prod which usually needs two hits from behind for me to work?

If you do it right, the enemy will groan briefly and drop forward onto his knees (without any of the electrocution jitter, in the prod's case). I know it can be done with the stun prod and the baton. Not sure about other weapons.

What do you mean by doing it right? From behind and without being noticed? Does it matter which part of the body you hit with a stun prod?

I'd like to give it another try some time, though.

I'd say give it another go.

First time i played Shock 2, i didn't really like it all that much, it wasn't until i came back to it a few years later that it really clicked with me. It's a really unforgiving game, and though it has great tutorials, it kind of just goes 0-60 without any delay. There were a lot of things that i felt like i was just kind of tolerating, but coming back to it second time with foreknowledge of what the game was going to be, i was able to plan out my build in more interesting ways and the game just clicked in a huge way. Ended up loving it for the same reasons i initially hated it.

Just absolutely my favorite game.

I loved SS2, but it took me a while to get into it. I actually used a mod to turn off respawning because 1) I love exploring levels and 2) It was just too scary without it.

I also turned down weapon degradation so I could use a gun more than once.