toblix

Unity3D

So everyone knows about Unity3D, but have any of you actually downloaded and installed it? I just did, and it installed in like twenty seconds. I started it, and it just loaded right up into some fancy space base level that looked like an awesome space space only with a bunch of extra game logic stuff in there. I was pretty amazed at how quick and smooth the navigation seemed for this pretty complex thing, but then I hit the play button and I was almost literally blown away. Hitting play I immediately started playing a space marine Alien Infestation type thing with robots and doors and sound and everything. I'm used to debugging web applications and boring enterprise data logging applications, but to actually be able to debug a fancy action game was something I hadn't even considered before, and now I'm able to do it with a free full license!

Now I'm going to read up on this thing and see if I can't make some sort of game. I have this idea: you're a space marine in a space base level, and there are robots. But also there is a room full of lamps!

Yeah it's interesting. I hear the marketplace can be alright as well if you want to write some tools or create assets for other developers.

Oh fuck, I can't wait to play Toblix Presents: Lamp Marine: Armageddon's Origin: A Toblix Game. Please make this happen.

Oh fuck, I can't wait to play Toblix Presents: Lamp Marine: Armageddon's Origin: A Toblix Game. Please make this happen.

Screw that, I'm waiting for the prequel, the game that's going to focus on RPG-lite mechanics and REALLY EXPLORES the origins and, indeed, the mythos of the lamps.

Also, Unity 3d looks like lots of fun.

My friend's been working on an RPG in Unity for a few months, seems like a great platform, but he is starting to run into the boundaries of the free license. Being able to quickly compile builds of the game and send them to people for testing without them even having to install anything is excellent.

Well, amazingly, the pro license isn't that expensive either. I was expecting it to cost hundreds of thousands of some currency, but it's weirdly affordable.

I will do just this.

Well, amazingly, the pro license isn't that expensive either. I was expecting it to cost hundreds of thousands of some currency, but it's weirdly affordable.
If you're targeting mobile or web, it's a decent way to go. But it's hard to beat UDK's license for anything else. Basically free till you make enough money to afford it, and then it only starts charging it's percentage on money made after that initial (fairly high) amount.

Yeah, I haven't really looked into UDK yet, and I'm not too concerned about how to deal with all the money I'll make.

Sign me up for art support! I bet it would be awesome, hehehe.

Game locations should include a fire level, an ice and snow level, a grassy forest level, a wind level, a hated water level, a spooky level and of course a moon level. A level with an ancient/archaeology level would be cool too.

The goal should be to release the Moon from it's Earth orbit and crash it into the Sun.

I demand an "inspired by" credit! At least a special thanks...

Put me down for a "didn't do anything" credit.