Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

My graphics card melted :(

So I think my graphics cards just fried... My computer apparently boots up normally (from the sounds it makes, and the keyboard response) but my monitor remains blank. Very annoying!

I know some Thumbs are pretty good with their hardware knowledge, so what's the current best bang for buck? I had a GTS 8800 (with 320 MB Ram). It was PCI-E. Any advice?

Thanks guys.

So I think my graphics cards just fried... My computer apparently boots up normally (from the sounds it makes, and the keyboard response) but my monitor remains blank. Very annoying!

I know some Thumbs are pretty good with their hardware knowledge, so what's the current best bang for buck? I had a GTS 8800 (with 320 MB Ram). It was PCI-E. Any advice?

Thanks guys.

first thing: what is your max budget, also are you planning to rebuild in the near future?

first thing: what is your max budget, also are you planning to rebuild in the near future?

I was hoping to not have to rebuild any time soon, but my machine is pretty old now (I'm still running an Intel Core Duo E6600, if memory serves correctly. My motherboard is a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P.

What a pain :(

Not sure what my max budget is. I just want something reasonable :-/

I was hoping to not have to rebuild any time soon, but my machine is pretty old now (I'm still running an Intel Core Duo E6600, if memory serves correctly. My motherboard is a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P.

What a pain :(

Not sure what my max budget is. I just want something reasonable :-/

Ok then I wouldn't go crazy with the GPU then, one other piece of information we need is what PSU do you have?

I'm looking at a 460 or a 6850 and then if/when you rebuild grab another and SLI/CF them.

Ok then I wouldn't go crazy with the GPU then, one other piece of information we need is what PSU do you have?

I'm looking at a 460 or a 6850 and then if/when you rebuild grab another and SLI/CF them.

Ooh, I like your thinking. It's an Antec True Power Trio 550W. I run three hard drives (sometimes four), two DVD drives, and a old Audigy sound card. Plus misc USB devices.

Edit: How is SLI/CF these days? I remember reading about them back in the Voodoo days (remember them?) and it was like having extra cores... Unless the software you were using specially took advantage of them, they did squat. Has the situation/general support improved these days?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Ooh, I like your thinking. It's an Antec True Power Trio 550W. I run three hard drives (sometimes four), two DVD drives, and a sound card. Plus misc USB devices.

Either a 6850 or a 460 would do nicely. Both are roughly £130. If you went the Nvidia route you could have one as a physX card where necessary.

I think AMD Radeon HD 6950 should be a good choice on high-ish end of graphics cards (I ended up buying HD 6970, though). Not sure what is the NVIDIA equivalent.

Anyway, use this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-4.html

I have the 6750 and it's nice. They are affordable as far as graphics cards go at $150.

Thanks for the link that's an interesting review. I stupidly went to PC World on the off chance that they might have something for a good price. Isn't there anywhere in London where you can buy a card at a reasonable price?

Guess I'll have to wait for Scan to deliver.

Eh, with the CPU TP has I think some of these video cards are a little overkill. The 5770 is a great card at about $100 and probably the best bang/buck you can get at the moment.

Yeah, just buy an affordable card and when you upgrade your machine buy a new one that matches your CPU. I wouldn't do the SLI thing, because of how cumbersome having two cards is and because you can't know if even two of those cards are fast enough when you upgrade.

Yeah, just buy an affordable card and when you upgrade your machine buy a new one that matches your CPU. I wouldn't do the SLI thing, because of how cumbersome having two cards is and because you can't know if even two of those cards are fast enough when you upgrade.

Oh balls. Maybe I should cancel my order then... :(

Oh! Uh, I didn't realize this was after the fact. Just my two cents, do what feels best.

It's fine spending dollars on a card at this point anyway, can always use the same card on a future machine. It would be a problem if there was some new interface standard coming, but I don't think there is.

Oh! Uh, I didn't realize this was after the fact. Just my two cents, do what feels best.

It's good to know before it's too late. I could still pick up a 5770 for two thirds of the price. Hmm. What to do... Anyone else want to share/update their opinion? :-/

A good price on a 5770:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-185-XF

Coming atcha through a Radeon HD 6870! Peeow... (and other fast noises).

Yep, wow, GTAIV looks pretty sweet now. Shame it's a bit juddery... I suspect that my CPU is now a major bottleneck, and so causing problems. Damn PC gaming. Ah well. At least my new graphics card has "No explosion" listed as a feature on its box... Weird.

attachment.php?attachmentid=722&stc=1&d=1312320864

I also got free copies of Lara Croft GOL and DiRT3. Pretty nifty.

Now back to playing VVVVVV :tup: Oh, wait :getmecoat

Lack of explosions are a pretty important feature. I'd say it's #2 on my list of criteria, after price.

Lack of explosions are a pretty important feature. I'd say it's #2 on my list of criteria, after price.

It does sounds pretty important, now that you mention it. Makes me wonder why it's not been a standard feature before.

There was also this little nugget:

attachment.php?attachmentid=723&stc=1&d=1312320904

It's nice to know that the next time I'm playing GTA behind enemy lines that graphics card buzzing won't give my position away. Also, seeing how MSI is a Taiwanese company, I assume that my card is build to the Taiwanese Military's standard...? (I'm not sure how good or bad that is?)

post-94-13375603417055_thumb.jpg

post-94-13375603417269_thumb.jpg

Hmph. Sorry to continue this, but I now I think my machine is being held back by the rest of its four year old components. I don't really want to spend a huge amount turning it into a beast of a machine, instead I'd rather just like to cheaply bring it up to date... if at all.

Does anyone here have an idea of what the least amount of components I could replace to bring it closer to the level of my graphics card? Or to put it another way: Is there a bottleneck, and if so, how do I reduce it?

PROC:

Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz

RAM:

4GB (4x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800)

MOBO:

Gigabyte 965P-DS3P (1333MHz FSB)

GFX:

MSI R6870 Hawk (ATI Radeon HD 6870) 1GB

HD:

2x 400 Gb Seagate ST3400620AS Barracuda 7200.10 (RAID 1)

Unfortunately, it's really only worth upgrading at this point if you're going to do the whole chipset at once (Mobo, CPU, RAM). I guess if you really wanted to squeeze as much out without doing that, you could get one of the Intel Core 2 Extreme processors and try them out. Not really a good long term choice, I have to stress.