Sign in to follow this  
mikemariano

VVVVVV 2.0!

the map shows where they are, with a "S" iirc

You have to speak with your crew member who guards the hold of shiny trinkets first. After you do that the S-es show up.

The most difficult one for me was the one where you have to

make sure not to hit any checkpoints before you dissolve floors, start a moving platform, die intentionally, then respawn at a checkpoint which now has a moving platform to use.

I figured out what I had to do early on, but it was so hard to do!

I finished this the other day (with 20/20 trinkets, of course). It's definitely not the kind of game I would voluntarily sit down to play on my own, but I found that if I kept it in the background at work, I could regularly pop back in and do some more rooms, and then just alt-tab back to real work whenever I felt like it. The only room I got really stuck in was the horrible one where you fall up and down the malevolent corridor of spikes. That probably took me a day to get.

Oh, I also spent too much time looking for the last trinket and had to be told by a coworker (who also played this (which, on account of the competitive aspect, is why I also started playing it (we both bought the humble bundle (I paid 1 dollar more than him, which goes to illustrate the competitiveness)))))))) anyway, he had to tell me that you get a trinket, plus a mother fucking asshole map of all the trinkets just by visiting a stupid room in the ship. So that angered me. But seriously a great, great game.

Oh, also, in the secret lab, the no death mode trophy thing is the best joke thing. I bet there's not even real code for it in the game, it's so ridiculous.

WARNING: FULL GAME SPOILERS

Edited by Noyb

WARNING: FULL GAME SPOILERS

Well that whole thing can fuck right off, because I refuse to believe it. I can't believe it is possible.

I just beat a Flash-based spin on VVVVVV called MMMMMM

It's a bit more direct of a puzzler than VVVVVV and adds a new mechanic: by falling onto a diagonal surface, you have the opportunity to flip against that surface and fall diagonally.

So instead of falling up or down, you can now fall in eight different directions.

And there are still spikes everywhere!

I liked it!

I am still obsessed with takeoffs on VVVVVV. One I played recently is Spin Spin. It uses the movement (and spikes) of VVVVVV, but instead of flipping, it uses rotation.

The developer compares it to And Yet It Moves, but the rotation in Spin Spin is done strictly at 90 degree angles.

I had fun, and the first episode is short enough to burn through quickly. Check it out!

but the rotation in Spin Spin is done strictly at 90 degree angles.

So is And Yet It Moves! (On PC, anyway. Wii has free rotation.)

So awesome, I had my stream running while playing,

edit: link fixed

Your proudest moment was one hour and twenty-four minutes long?

(Joke. Links to specific times don't work with embeds.

),

I'm really excited about VVVVVV version 2.2:

There’s also an unreleased version 2.2, which adds joypad support and a few other small things.

Terry Cavanagh and unknown C++ coder will be updating this game!  It probably won't amount to much more than the joypad and some menu options, but it will be an excuse to play VVVVVV again!

VVVVVV is coming to iPad!

Do you think touchscreen controls aren't precise enough for this game?  Terry Cavanagh made a video for you:

The confidence with which he avoids the checkpoint infuriates me.

VVVVVV 2.2 has been released!  Besides a frightening video effect I don't know what else has been changed for the main game.

BUT there is a new free release! VVVVVV: Make and Play Edition, which is just user levels and the level editor.

Now I have to start re-exploring user levels for this game.  I need to dig deeper into how to create these levels—I couldn't even figure out how to make a level title show up in the selection screen.

I finally bought the 3DS version of VVVVVV.  It's really good!  For some reason I thought there'd be analog controls, but you only move at one speed.

The 3D doesn't do much more than separate the background from the foreground, but it still works well.  I had never noticed that there is a huge background signpost in the autoscrolling level until now.

Only seen this thread now, but why isn't it titled VVVVVV V2

Hmmm, good point.  I believe Cavanaugh refers to it with version numbers only and no version of version for each version.