Tanukitsune

Can someone help me identify this strange hard drive?

I wish this thread... would... die... a horrible... and painful death... preferably involving... knives.

Stop it.

If you can somehow find out the GMR read-head thin film stack structure of that fucker, I could maybe point out some basic features from it. Other than that, I don't really think I can help you here.

Tanu,

With regards to thieves stealing your identity, you should be fine. Unless you're a high-profile guy with bodyguards, etc. the odds of ID thieves taking the time to reassemble the disk in order to retrieve what will probably turn out to be hundreds of save games from JRPGs are very, very small. If you just throw it in the garbage (i.e. not computer parts recycling), you'll not only damage the environment, but also lower those odds even further. Seriously, don't worry about it.

With regards to thieves stealing your identity, you should be fine. Unless you're a high-profile guy with bodyguards, etc. the odds of ID thieves taking the time to reassemble the disk in order to retrieve what will probably turn out to be hundreds of save games from JRPGs are very, very small. If you just throw it in the garbage (i.e. not computer parts recycling), you'll not only damage the environment, but also lower those odds even further. Seriously, don't worry about it.

Or you could hit it with a big sledgehammer before you take it to the point blanc. That's what I would do. Will they still take it?

Do what the Australian government does, have it ground into dust, run through magnets and then put in cement.

No, seriously.

I think this hard disk has too much metacultural caché now. We must get the data off it somehow, to discover what it holds. This needs to be a full blown internet cause. Start blogs, chain-mails, celebrity endorsements, whatever it takes.

I'm only half joking; I think it would be a cool Dave Gormanesque project.