twmac

Christopher V. Flett - time to grow up

It's probably the same person who added it to the thread I created last week and everybody hated?

We could debate on what makes a man mature (this man sure isn't in my book) but apparently this thread needs to die... *shrugs*

Of course, I'm sure we all have our own definition of maturity and what makes a person mature or not... So.. let's just agree that this guy is probably as immature as he thinks we are? :hmph:

Did I sound like I was asking for pity or something?:erm:

I'm pretty sure we all wanted that thread dead, myself included!

It's probably the same person who added it to the thread I created last week and everybody hated?

We could debate on what makes a man mature (this man sure isn't in my book) but apparently this thread needs to die... *shrugs*

I put the "needs to die" tag on both of those threads - and sadly, could have done so on quite a few more - because they are part of a tidal wave of recent threads that bolster the impression that the sense of community on the Idle Forums is built on things we all agree to dislike and even hate, our disdain toward outsider 'who don't get it' and nitpicking about silly rhetorics;

rather than on what we love and champion about video games and a genuine curiosity in hearing other thumbeteers' views on topics we already have a strong opinion about.

At first, I didn't formulate this concern directly because doing so seemed as whiny, self-righteous and unnecessarily negative as those threads I criticize... and looking back at what I wrote here over the years, it's easy to see I'm not safe from that 'behavior' myself; so it also sounded a bit hypocritical.

But since people have now mentioned this directly I thought I'd clarify.

Edited by vimes

I think it's alright in very narrow topics like this and that other one - it's pretty much what they were created for - it's just frustrating and dull when it spills over into 'youtube' and 'plug your shit' threads, especially when people start throwing insults around.

Vimes, start some nice, positive threads!

Tanu, if you want a thread to die, don't keep posting in it!

Now this thread has gotten meta ridiculous because spillover complaints on other threads are surfacing here.

What the hell guys, calm down. You can't seriously expect the forums to follow all of these rules no one agreed upon in the first place over what and what should not be posted as new thread topics or what's appropriate to be posted in long running topics that weren't created by anyone who runs the forum in the first place. Almost everyone here is sensible enough to not hijack a long running thread like Youtube, Books, Music, etc. any longer than they feel it needs to be hijacked because I doubt anyone is interested in killing said threads. It also doesn't make a difference for you to passive aggressively complain mods aren't doing their job in ever third thread either, bbx.

I think it's alright in very narrow topics like this and that other one - it's pretty much what they were created for - it's just frustrating and dull when it spills over into 'youtube' and 'plug your shit' threads, especially when people start throwing insults around.

Vimes, start some nice, positive threads!

Tanu, if you want a thread to die, don't keep posting in it!

It's pretty obvious that you have to stop posting if you want it to die, but...

I'm sorry, I just can't NOT reply to this... If we "misbehave" the moment we stop talking about video games, we ARE just like people this guy is talking about!

It really makes the gaming community look bad when we're only "nice" when talking about games...

Just because you hold your farts in front in your girlfriend doesn't mean you can fart in my face the moment she leaves the room... I have no idea if that's a good analogy... *shrugs*

Now this thread has gotten meta ridiculous because spillover complaints on other threads are surfacing here.

What the hell guys, calm down. You can't seriously expect the forums to follow all of these rules no one agreed upon in the first place over what and what should not be posted as new thread topics or what's appropriate to be posted in long running topics that weren't created by anyone who runs the forum in the first place. Almost everyone here is sensible enough to not hijack a long running thread like Youtube, Books, Music, etc. any longer than they feel it needs to be hijacked because I doubt anyone is interested in killing said threads. It also doesn't make a difference for you to passive aggressively complain mods aren't doing their job in ever third thread either, bbx.

Hey, I'm calm, and I'm saying that this thread is fine and I don't mind it. Yeah, almost everyone here is sensible enough not to hijack threads for too long; I'm just saying it's annoying when a few do.

I did the 'mod complaint' thing twice (EDIT: ages ago), and that was purely a joke, which I'm pretty sure David got. My post here wasn't directed at mods, if you're including that. I like that there's not much need for mod activity on these forums, and the occasional irritation is worth that.

For anyone who missed it, my "banned" comment was a response to a completely different post which said something along the lines of "moving to become a mod?" which has now been removed without trace and replaced with the post quoted above. I thought we were joking around, but obviously not.

Tanu, I NEVER hold my farts in in front of my girlfriend.

As for Christopher V Flett, I think it's telling that his target demographic is women. His gimmick is "Hey, I'm one of those 'alpha male' douchebags you hate, let me tell you how we work so you can beat us'." The women who swallow this shit are just as idiotic as the men who follow "The Game" or whatever.

Edited by bbX1138

See? That's the problem with written comments, you can't tell if we're being sarcastic, upset, depressed, paranoid, etc, etc....

I'm pretty calm too and I don't think any of the recent activity is mod worthy either...

The only time I even needed a mod when was I having site issues... :erm:

I'm just saying it's annoying when a few do.

Again, it's bound to happen with any long running thread or forum where someone is free to clarify, so getting upset about it is not worth it, really. It's obviously annoying enough to you that you are now posting in other threads about it.

If you give those threads enough time, they will have a few more pages added and everyone will have forgot, since I doubt anyone likes to reread the long running threads from page 1 and on, especially new people.

I put the "needs to die" tag on both of those threads - and sadly, could have done so on quite a few more - because they are part of a tidal wave of recent threads that bolster the impression that the sense of community on the Idle Forums is built on things we all agree to dislike and even hate, our disdain toward outsider 'who don't get it' and nitpicking about silly rhetorics; rather than on what we love and champion about video games and a genuine curiosity in hearing other thumbeteers' views on topics we already have a strong opinion about.

The only other thing I can think of is the big discussion about politics. So we're mostly left-leaning here (as it turns out). So there's a lot of anti-right stuff thrown around. I actually tried to get a discussion going about what left and right actually were, so there wouldn't be so much anti-right rhetoric thrown around, but nobody was interested...

Instead of leaving passive aggressive notes around the place, why don't you attempt to be part of a solution? Either a) Leading by example, and create threads that make us bond over something we all love, or B) Make a thread voicing your opinion about what's making you unhappy... Instead of waiting for someone to ask you what your bitter grumblings actually mean.

*looks at tags*

:hah:

Do you guys really think ANY thread here is a potential flame war? While I agree with Vimes and I think there does seem to be a bit of Hatorade in the forums lately, the worst Idle Thumbs has to offer is grumpy sour smartypants, even if we actually did have trolls, they had enough respect, or more likely common sense to not start a flame war!

Sure, there are a few people poking fun at me, but I doubt they'd actually go too far and compare me to a "special needs person"...

When people think a thread is getting "too hot for comfort" they post puppy pictures... when we start posting pictures of dead puppies, then we'll be a forum that is capable of a flame war!

Idle Thumbs: Flame proof but grumpy... could do with a hug!:yep:

Again, it's bound to happen with any long running thread or forum where someone is free to clarify, so getting upset about it is not worth it, really. It's obviously annoying enough to you that you are now posting in other threads about it.

If you give those threads enough time, they will have a few more pages added and everyone will have forgot, since I doubt anyone likes to reread the long running threads from page 1 and on, especially new people.

Yep, that's my policy too. I'm not getting upset, it's not that annoying and I only mentioned it, for one clause in one post in one thread because Vimes did, in what I'd argue was not as strong a stance as his.

I also tried to kill the off-topic debate and get back to CVF. And now I'll take my own advice and stop replying to a debate that has starting going in circles. Please feel free to have the final word!

Good word, but I propose "unexpurgated." My new favorite word, as seen on the cover of a copy of "Tropic of Cancer," and the most pretentious way to say "unedited" that I've ever seen.

*ahem*

UNEXPURGATED.

Okay, apologies for posting this link here in the first place. I didn't mean it to cause the hubbub it did.

Vimes, I agree that simply posting about things that cause grief is not particularly great. I just found the post funny and thought I would share the giggle.

Although I, obviously, disagree with his (Mr Flett's) opinions. I do like to read them, it gives me a moment to go 'hang on, do I fit into his world view? And, if I do, do I care?'

Anyway, everyone should go and get excited about the fact that Earth Defense Force: Insect Aramgeddon is almost out.

Hurrah!

Antidisestablishmentarianism.

The most pretentious way to say "The church isn't a prick, please don't deport us!"