Tanukitsune

Have you ever played a game based on a franchise you don't really know?

I don't think the Megami Tensei series counts, it might have an anime or manga based on the world, but they came after the games?

Persona 4 was the first one I played too, I don't think many of us even heard of the Megami Tensei series before that unless you were a hardcore JRPG fan?:erm:

Huh? I will recognize them? I thought their design in the game had little to nothing to do with reality?

Yeah this is a case of art influencing art etc

There is an interesting Cracked article on films influencing real life and people's perceptions. I'll track it down at some point.

Dune II

Didn't know it was based on a book (or books... or a movie) until much much later.

The Darkness, while I was playing I had a vague recollection that it's based on a comic book of sort but wasn't sure.

Yeah this is a case of art influencing art etc

There is an interesting Cracked article on films influencing real life and people's perceptions. I'll track it down at some point.

?

Sam and Max hasn't ever made me more interested to go back to the original game or comics, as I'm sure they're different in subtle, but significant, ways from the Sam and Max I know and have played.

You really should reconsider, they're both great. Page 45 in Nottingham had plentiful stocks of Surfin' The Highway when the game was released and I still have my well-thumbed copy that I bought immediately after playing the game and seeing the excerpts of the comics in the manual.

Believe it or not, I played that crappy Michael Jackson game before I even knew who he was. Truth! He shot sparkles out of his feet!

To add a second question to the thread:

Has playing the game made you more interested/seek out the original media?

Yes, most definitely. I'll sign up for STALKER and Metro 2033 (though I have yet to play it), and I would definitely like to get into some of those books. The Witcher I'm not so sure.

I played The Witcher being vaguely aware of books but having no idea if the game was even all that closely related to the books. Does that count?

my list is pretty similar to Chris' list. I'd add Baldur's Gate if that counts. And HOMM(?) -- not sure if Might&Magic was some kind of thing or not.

And possibly some Cthulhu mythos game -- I had only read one short story by Lovecraft until recently. I knew he was very influential though.