Tanukitsune

Weirdness in games... isn't it normal?

Is there anything you don't exaggerate? :)

I had to read the entire thread to find out who thought Yahtzee was as bad as the weird game reviewer or "SO MUCH worse" than AVGN, and who was giving an impression of not liking anything. Still can't figure it out.

Most posts on this thread are saying how terrible they are, with one or two exceptions, how am I exaggerating? :erm:

By putting words into people's mouths. Like I said, I couldn't figure out who said Yahtzee was so much worse than AVGN for example.

Anyway, moving along..

To me Moonwalker feels a lot weirder than Super Mario Brothers (although, I have always been aware of how bizarre the mechanics of the series are) because it is at least set in the same universe as we are. For the same reason Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter don't seem that strange to me but the setting of the upcoming Driver game is fucking bizarre.

Brooker writes an angry column (or used to), also has a tv show about the news (Newswipe) where he points fingers and rants. He treats TV to similar (Screenwipe) and also did a one-off about games (Gameswipe). He's also a gamer, so it's not too much of a leap to see that he could write quality angry video reviews should he wish. I'd wish it, but he has better things to do I guess!

Brooker writes an angry column (or used to), also has a tv show about the news (Newswipe) where he points fingers and rants. He treats TV to similar (Screenwipe) and also did a one-off about games (Gameswipe). He's also a gamer, so it's not too much of a leap to see that he could write quality angry video reviews should he wish. I'd wish it, but he has better things to do I guess!

It's worth noting that Brooker got sick of the forced nastiness required to write the regular column and packed it in (similar sentiment to Rab Florence and Ryan Mcleod on Consolevania).

He is fantastic though, and the things I like most about screenwipe/newswipe (2010 wipe) is that it is insightful and educational as well as snarky.

I got bored by Yahtzee eventually and forgot about him. But I rediscovered him last week and after the break found him entertaining again. I think he might have mellowed somewhat over time as well - or at least admits more games he actually likes. There are a number of his recent reviews that are actually spot-on (I was reminded of him by someone who had seen Epic Micky prior to release and said Yahtzee's take on it was "uncomfortably accurate").

I think the only person to carry it off long term, should he choose, would be Charlie Brooker. Yahtzee was good initially, but became a victim of his own success to some extent, and became dull.

Totally agree. Brooker has progressed away from his guise as the "angry reviewer" into something much more substantial. Even his angry rants are usually extremely accurate and balanced (which just makes them funnier). Plus he's not afraid to write about how much he loves something.

He's also a gamer, so it's not too much of a leap to see that he could write quality angry video reviews should he wish. I'd wish it, but he has better things to do I guess!

Of course... that's how he began his career, writing for PC Zone. (Although I think he was just angry about everything back then. I never found him to be particularly insightful or interesting in PC Zone.)

Most posts on this thread are saying how terrible they are, with one or two exceptions, how am I exaggerating? :erm:

I never said that Yahztee's reviews were better or worse than anyone else's specifically, let alone the two reviewers you mention that I've never even read/watched/listened to.

By putting words into people's mouths. Like I said, I couldn't figure out who said Yahtzee was so much worse than AVGN for example.

Anyway, moving along..

To me Moonwalker feels a lot weirder than Super Mario Brothers (although, I have always been aware of how bizarre the mechanics of the series are) because it is at least set in the same universe as we are. For the same reason Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter don't seem that strange to me but the setting of the upcoming Driver game is fucking bizarre.

And you're putting words into my mouth! I only said that AVGN is much cruder that Yathzee, so how come he isn't much worse... to which a few people replied "Well actually, I think he is worse"...

Anyway.... I'm moving along too... XP

I guess we don't recognize Mario as weird because Mario is the standard platform game, it's what is "normal" for platform games?

Hmm, I think I remember seeing Gameswipe once? He does seem like he'd a do a good job at angry reviewing.

PS:Just because I said someone said something, doesn't mean YOU said it!

People have said they disliked or even hated AVGN or Yahtzee on this thread, but for some strange reason the people who didn't think I'm talking about them... How on Earth did this happen? :eek:

And you're putting words into my mouth! I only said that AVGN is much cruder that Yathzee, so how come he isn't much worse... to which a few people replied "Well actually, I think he is worse"...

What? You could at least read what you and others have posted. The first time AVGN was even mentioned was this post:

AVGN takes fake dumps on video games, how is this SO MUCH worse?:erm:

This implies that someone has actually said that Yahtzee is much worse than AVGN, which quite simply isn't the case.

Dropping the subject now.

You misread what I wrote... or perhaps I miswrote? I just mentioned AVGN and that he was cruder than Yathzee (taking fake dumps on games) as an example, because people saying they were fed up with Yathzee crudeness, so I then asked how come AVGN isn't worse?:erm:

You misread what I wrote... or perhaps I miswrote? I just mentioned AVGN and that he was cruder than Yathzee (taking fake dumps on games) as an example, because people saying they were fed up with Yathzee crudeness, so I then asked how come AVGN isn't worse?:erm:

Thing A exhibits flaw C

Thing B exhibits flaw C though to a lower ratio than thing A

Is thing B not flawed because thing A is more flawed? No.

Yay logic guy! Thank you for saying that before I did.

Anyway, I used to quite like Yahtzee, but he wore out his welcome rather quickly through false/forced anger. Those that imitate him are worse by virtue of what they're doing already being played out before they started. As for That Guy With The Glasses, you're the first person I've heard bring it up aside from a particularly horrible coworker who is horribly misanthropic and sexist who constantly talks about them. The association with him has made me never want to seek them out. If they do the same shtick as the others, they're probably not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean they're the worst thing ever or that I hate them, but I'm pretty tired of that trend in general. I'm much more into the Giant Bomb type of commentary, where they make fun of what is legitimately bad but are also bombastically (unintentional, but on re-reading, see what I did there?) enthusiastic about what is good. They're also far less mean-spirited and shocking just for the sake of being shocking. Even if I don't agree, I appreciate they're unbridled love for games. To all the Yahtzee-alikes, I just wonder why they play these things at all if they're so set on hating them?

Anyway, weirdness. I find weirdness far more appealing than otherwise. The bizare mindfuck mythological stuff in Cryostasis made it one of the best games that I played last year. I honestly wish that more than silly cartoon weirdness, more games would go for the Lynchian head trip kind. I know the new Driver won't go for that, so much as just ridiculous (I'm thinking Just Cause 2 style would be nice) but I can dream.

I really hate Guy with Glasses, but that's not really the point.

I guess I was more annoyed with the amateur angry game reviewers or guys with a shtick that pop up on Youtube more than the professional guys, even though they can just be as grating. I lump somewhat amateur looking game sites with similar reviews in the same category. I guess that's all pretty unclear. Yahtzee also wore himself pretty thin as well to the point where I could almost feel he did like a game but had to instead find insignificant points to bash anyway it just for his audience.

Overall though, I don't see the point of everyone being continuously snarky or trying to do some stand up bit for everything in game journalism in the first place. I guess because we are all introverted men for the most part and that's what introverted men like/do best? Someone being sincere or not trying to generate a bunch of jokes is a breath of fresh air now.

I don't even like the word snarky.

It's strange and also a bit sad that you need a cartoon or a skit so people will listen to your opinion on a game or movie nowadays...

Although not all of them are "snarky", for example, JewWario, despite the name is nice and doesn't swear or even use special effects in this videos...

I quite like The Spoony Experiment. his skits are lame, poorly edited, and badly acted (even more so than AVGN's or that guy with the glasses), but his love of classic games really shine through. His Ultima retrospective reviews, I thought, were fantastic.

Yes, Spoony is cool, I think the issue is whether we think they do this for hits or out of love for the subject? I'm pretty sure most of us here love games that have been made with love! :tup:

Yeah, it's really starting to get ridiculous how many there are. My description of Rocky Rodent above made me kind of nostalgic for it, so I looked it up on youtube. Only videos I could find were of some jerk getting unnecessarily angry about the plot and trying to be funny about it. Man is that shit played out. I just wanted to watch the first level to reminisce...
It's the annnngyyy! Nintennddooo! Neerrr--

*turns off video*

To post an actual reply, though, it's interesting how weirded out we are when a video game is so... normal. Whenever something believable happens in a video game, we're all shocked, call it "emergent", and storm the internet and tell everyone about. It's an interesting phenomenon.

There really should be an :emergent: emote.

I too agree that the "snarky" shtick is getting way played out. Whenever I write my amateurish news and articles, I always find it very easy to be cynical whenever a money-grabbing sequel to Warfight: Return of the Bald Space Marine is announced, but in the end, it's always a better feeling to be friggin' stoked about video games. It also usually makes it easier to write/talk about them.