Erkki

iPad gaming

Yep, I enjoyed The Room, too. Very short, though.

Lately I've been playing Plants vs Zombies (I'm sure everyone else has already played it to death) and Middle Manager of Justice (which probably deserves its own thread - but is very rough around the edges gameplay wise).

Alright I've had an iPad for about a week, and I've not bin following this thread, I've just been downloading whatever's hot.

When I was given the choice to wait 12 hours for this building to build in Clash of Clans, or buy enough gems to make it build faster, I chose the option of quitting out to the home screen and deleting all of my iPad games immeadiately.

Then I bought and played the first section of Sword & Sworcery, and that was cool and weird, so thumbs up on that!

I've been playing nonstop Super Hexagon on the iPhone and I'm sure it's even better on iPad. One of my top 10 GOTYs of 2012.

Yes, everyone get this. I've been playing it on Steam and an iPad mini, and it's easily my game of 2012. Insanely hard, but never feels unfair. After a while you learn to use your peripheral vision and it gets easier.

(Same username on Game Center).

Helsing's Fire is a nice little puzzle game, and I'll second Mington on Punch Quest too.

I have just bought Hundreds, a game by the guys who brought you Canabalt

it has a cool website http://playhundreds.com/

people on the internet seems to like it

http://kotaku.com/59...ame-of-the-year

It is 40% off until 10 Jan

i shall probably never play it

I'm going to give that a try. It reminds me a bit of spaceteam from the promo image.

It's stupid, but I'm impressed by the polish in their audio. iOS can be a bit shitty about layering sounds like that.

Firstly: Plants vs Zombies HD is free this week. GRAB IT NOW

Secondly: Year Walk

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/simogo/id404446783

I spied this game in the top 5 paid apps chart today. what is it?? I think its an adventure/puzzle game? It looks like something Idle Thumbs readers will enjoy

It has glowing reviews across the board

I'm anxious to play Year Walk. It's from one of my fav indie devs, Simogo, who made Beat Sneak Bandit and Bumpy Road. Beatiful artwork every time.  I need to find time to play this, because as you say, it's gotten great reviews.

I'm anxious to play Year Walk. It's from one of my fav indie devs, Simogo, who made Beat Sneak Bandit and Bumpy Road. Beatiful artwork every time.  I need to find time to play this, because as you say, it's gotten great reviews.

It's fantastic. Quite the mind trip, especially as there is a Year Walk Companion app that you really need to get the full experience of the game. Download both but don't worry about which you read or play first. Just jump in and try to figure things out. Shouldn't take but an hourn or two or three but it's worth the ride.

I just got an iPad mini and played The Room. Nicely done. Never finished Sword & Sworcery and should try that again.

I've been playing a lot of Civ Rev which just came out with a multiplayer patch, also a little bit of Ghost Trick which seems unusual and pretty cool.

Side note, what's the best way to browse this forum on an iPad, I'm just using the browser, is there a mobile view I can switch to? Or an app I could use maybe?

you should see in the footer text 'use mobile version' (next to the rss icon) but i find it easier to use the full site on my ipad

It's fantastic. Quite the mind trip, especially as there is a Year Walk Companion app that you really need to get the full experience of the game. Download both but don't worry about which you read or play first. Just jump in and try to figure things out. Shouldn't take but an hourn or two or three but it's worth the ride.

Started playing Year Walk last night... didn't realize there was a companion app. What's the deal with that? I noticed I had to write a bunch of stuff down to solve puzzles (not the worst) but I assume the "companion app" is a themed tool for doing that?

Started playing Year Walk last night... didn't realize there was a companion app. What's the deal with that? I noticed I had to write a bunch of stuff down to solve puzzles (not the worst) but I assume the "companion app" is a themed tool for doing that?

Definitely get the companion. 

It's related to the game.

There's a micro ARG style game for Year Walk that requires the companion to complete. Without the companion you can't finish the game.

I think I'll grab it over the weekend. Ive heard you can play through it in 1-3 hours. The companion app is a mini encylopeia on the myths and creatures you encounter in the game, I've got it downloaded but I think I want to start the game first.

I saw a kotaku article whilst doing research which said:

It's one of most affecting trips your iPad can take you on. Don't let anyone spoil it for you. Play it yourself.

http://kotaku.com/5985989/year-walks-trippy-vision-quest-might-be-the-most-ominous-ipad-adventure-ever-created

So I'm gonna avoid reading anything about it

So been playing year walk

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ping

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ping

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ping

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ping

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ping

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa boo

OH FUCK IT

The problem with the iPad is that most of us only have one, and you're competing with your girlfriend\wife\friend (or boyfriend\husband) about who is to hold it. In the end I always end up buying the games and my wife playing them because I somehow always end up playing on my PC. 

Best games she liked most : Tintin and Harry Potter 1-4.

(definitely not Infinity Blade or Bastion)

Ridiculous Fishing is out now on iOS, so check it out! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ridiculous-fishing-tale-redemption/id601831815?mt=8

It's made by a dream team of iOS developers: Vlambeer (Super Crate Box, Luftrausers), Zach Gage (Spelltower), and Greg Wohlend (Hundreds, Gasketball). Oh yeah and the music was done by Eirik Suhrke (who did the music for Spelunky & Hotline Miami).

I can confirm it's not a Super Black Bass clone.

Ridiculous Fishing is out now on iOS, so check it out! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ridiculous-fishing-tale-redemption/id601831815?mt=8

It's made by a dream team of iOS developers: Vlambeer (Super Crate Box, Luftrausers), Zach Gage (Spelltower), and Greg Wohlend (Hundreds, Gasketball). Oh yeah and the music was done by Eirik Suhrke (who did the music for Spelunky & Hotline Miami).

I can confirm it's not a Super Black Bass clone.

But is it any good?

It's fantastic. I recommend you play it on an iPhone though as it uses tilt controls as one of its gameplay mechanics. Don't let that turn you off, the tilt controls are implemented well. It's got a unique sense of style too that's refreshing to see on the App Store. One review likened it to a "Nintendo level of polish".

I've played a couple of minutes of it. So far, it's fun and ridiculous. Recommended, if only to absorb the art style. It is gorgeous!

Played The Room, Year Walk and The Silent Age this weekend. They are all great. Silent Age is a bit rough on the edges overall, but it is free! The Room is delightful, presentation is great. Year Walk is atmospheric weirdness, that both works for me and doesn't. By the end I was sold, but throughout I almost gave up because it's so weird and random at points.

Also, both The Room and Year Walk had puzzles that required you to

rotate the iPad

which I never ever think to do on my own.. It's a neat thing, but kind of comes out of the blue every time a game does it.

I picked up Ridiculous Fishing and am playing on my ipad mini. Works great with this form factor! Absolutely a fun game, well worth the cash.