Tanukitsune

I think it's time for me to upgrade my PC... Suggestions?

Looks like I looked up the wrong technology on the internet. Obviously going from 5.1 to stereo is something different altogether.

I don't really have room for a 5.1 speakers, I just have room for 2.1....

Does it sound silly that I want to get an SSD and install Windows on it just to get a near instant boot up?:erm:

I can tell you that CMSS3D stuff works, really helps you locate things to shoot at.

I have two solid state drives, I can heartily recommend them. Definitely get one if you can afford it, to put your OS on.

Rather than googling the internet to check for component conflict etc*, I would put together a system and then post it on Tom's hardware forums. People wil comment on things you should change, possible problems etc etc. There are also some great guides as stickies.

It's not just about conflicts, but about getting a balanced system too i.e a cpu powerful enough to not bottleneck a gpu, a psu suitable for sli or crossfire etc. The posters on Tom's have helped me many times in the past, I would strongly recommend it when building any pc, let alone your first.

*Not to disagree with the mighty 'Blix, but if you are a noob at this kind of thing, I think it might be a bit bewildering/confusing/frustrating (it was for me)

About the stereo/5.1 issue:

As far as my experience goes, faking multichannel surround sound via stereo speakers doesn't work well, if at all. I guess the main reason is the discrete frontal positioning of the speakers. You just can't trick your hearing into perceiving sounds - actually coming from the front - like coming from the opposite direction.

With decent stereo headphones on the other hand it works like a charm. The Creative CMSS3D and the Dolby Headphone solution seem equally effective.

Would posting at Tom's Hardware be a good idea if you live in Europe? I might not be able to find the hardware they recommend?:erm:

Would posting at Tom's Hardware be a good idea if you live in Europe? I might not be able to find the hardware they recommend?:erm:

I live in the UK. The posts are in English, which you clearly have a good grasp of.

I live in the UK. The posts are in English, which you clearly have a good grasp of.

My main concern is that they'll recommend a brand that isn't available in my country, actually... :I

There are people who post from all over Europe so you should be ok. Also, components don't vary very much across the Western world. Posters in India had trouble getting components, but nobody else.

There are people who post from all over Europe so you should be ok. Also, components don't vary very much across the Western world. Posters in India had trouble getting components, but nobody else.

Poor India. They provide all our tech support...why don't they have all our tech?

I don't know, it is sort of cruelly ironic. There was a great thread that showed loads of home grown, diy modifications that Indian PC enthusiasts had made.

I think that the relatively high cost of parts was the main problem, but it seemed that what we would recognise as brands, either didn't exist or were long out of date over there.

It made me feel a bit awful at the time I was pretty active on Tom's (2007-8 ish), there were a couple of guys who would save for months to buy 1 stick of RAM, that cost around £10 in the UK.

What a wonderful world.

EDIT: As always, I think it was available to the better off...

My main concern is that they'll recommend a brand that isn't available in my country, actually... :I

Most UK companies ship to the mainland for a fair price.

Oh-kaaaay... A few days after posting on Tom's Hardware I got the black AND green screen of death on my 360, it's working today, but I just now that it's on it's last leg and the warranty is dead...

Should I even bother to contact Microsoft? I heard the repair fee is 150, but I can get a new 4G 360 for 199?

I guess I should give up on the PC and save up for something even better later....