Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Is John Romero REALLY dating an 18 year old?

http://www.rome.ro/

To quote Steve from Ron Gilbert's 'Rumour Website' blog entry (although this apparently wasn't actually a rumour at all)... they started 'courting' over the internet when she was 16. Now she's 18. Her name is Rhusalka or something, which Stevan seems to think is an unlikely, fake-sounding name. Oh, and she's from Romania.

True, or a rumour?

Yeah, but you know everything, Marek. It's news to ME.

How old is John Romero?

Yeah, and Romero's got two kids.

Wasn't there a joke sometime in the net that Romero's wife Raluca/Rhaluka is old enough to go to the same school as Romero's kids?

btw, am I the only one who thinks that Romero has a giant head?

small_john_and_raluca.jpg

In that picture, she actually looks exactly like my 15 year old friend, Breda.

And I don't think John Romero is only 36. Wasn't he making games as far back as in 1980?

Well in 28th of October 2004 he is turning 37, according to his own webpage.

And I don't think John Romero is only 36. Wasn't he making games as far back as in 1980?

He probably was, but all those guys started working on games (even professionally) at astonishingly young ages.

He started making games when he was about 13 or 14. I think your friend is called after a city near Rotterdam, by the way. That's a pretty funny name.

Oh, that's not so bad then. I thought he was way older.

But, if Tim Schafer graduated in 1989... how does that make him older than John, if John was making games back in... 1980?

Huh? So, if he was born in 1968... that would make him 22 when he made Keen, and stuff. Oh, okay. It works out. The other games were home projects.

I thought he was about 50...

Also, Breda is a wildly popular Irish name. Everybody over here is called Breda. Except me. According to Stevan, I have some kind of an unlikely, fake-sounding name.

Your name sounds like the name of a Russian double-agent spy scientist or something from a James Bond movie.

Is that Warren Spector?

And is the girl Stevie Case (I think that was her name)?

According to Stevan, I have some kind of an unlikely, fake-sounding name.
Fuck you, darling. I wasn't talking about you.

Man I think Romero has looked really goofy since he grew that moustache. Does anyone else remember when he didn't have it?

Warren Spector? Stevie Case?

Yes and yes.

That picture is fucking hysterical. I hadn't seen it before. Where is it from?

case_spector_romero.jpg

ODFMOG!! Once I sat on a couch that looked EXACTLY like that one! Only it was green and had no legs and the arm rests were sortof more oblong and the back was straight.

Your name sounds like the name of a Russian double-agent spy scientist or something from a James Bond movie.

Aw, gee. Thanks, Chris! Now I feel much better.

Not that there's anything unlikely about Russian double-agent spy scientists from James Bond movies.

Your name sounds like it might be a shortened version of 'Christopher' or 'Christian'. Or 'Christ'. When I think of Chris, I think of crates, but that's pretty much because I just read an article on crates at OMM. I don't think it has anything to do with your name. Before reading that article, I probably associated the name 'Chris' with a guy I once knew called 'Chris', who used to beat me up at summer camp and push me into the lake if I didn't give him my pocket money and/or bait. We used the bait for catching crabs. Chris used to try to make the crabs pinch me. I don't think I liked him very much, but I can't remember because I tried to block all my memories of Summer Camp and forgot a lot of stuff, and also he once hit me on purpose with a rounders bat because our team kept getting home runs. So I got concussion and forgot a lot of stuff then, too. Well, a lot more stuff. That's probably the first thing I think of every single time I hear the name 'Chris'.

Stevan's name sound like he spells it wrong or something. I, personally, have never met a super double agent russian spy called Stevan.

EDIT: John Romero before surger-- I mean, before his moustache? Wasn't that around the time he gave that interview where he said something like, "If they knew who I was, we wouldn't be waiting so long!"?

i always thought that tim is pretty young, but romeros younger age is surprising for me.

anyway, therefor mr spector is pretty old. around 50 if i remind correctly.

[edit]

and rusalka reminds me to russian mermaids, because i heard that from an russian girl around five long years ago. but that's another story... ;)

...and chris reminds me to...me.

...and stevan reminds me to...hmmm...stefan...and i know a lot of people with this name. so i could write millions of stories about stefans. but i won't.

John Romero is a fucking fiend..

That rome.ro website contains the most sickening sycophantic fanboy hero worship bullshit I have ever read in my life - also (imho) mostly unjustified praise (people bigging up daikatana ffs..) when the greatest game he ever worked on is Commander Keen.. (ok and the dark one with the chainsaws.. and teh various extremely brown looking titles)..

hmm..

that website is also the most horrifyingly narcissitic abuse of internet naming protocols I've ever seen..

anyway - read it and be traumatised - also read the OMM article about crates (unless you've read it already because it's kind of old).. it's good..

commander keen was actually really good though. :worship:

The above post came courtesy of Bob productions after he pikey'd my laptop.

Yes, Commander Keen was gold. In fact, in the early days, id Software was ... actually really good. I think they when downhill once they stopped implementing features like "player must be able to eat dog food".