elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

I'm super tempted to record a Pacifist/No Alarm playthrough, as there doesn't seem to be an obvious one on youtube. Im having great fun playing it this way.

I wonder how popular it would be 8 months after release……

Yer, even just a stun gun alternative, instead of openhanded, that would have made narrative sense. Or just any indication that death was not essential for those guards, espically with all the tutorial vids popping around that time.

One thing I did love about that sequence, no HUD.

For the 5 minutes I was like wtf? Where's my ammo meter? Where's my radar? Then I naturally just realised, hot diggidy, I'm not a cyborg yet, so I don't have them. Sweet! Actual realism!

While I agree aggregate endings are far superior to the last room buttom press, I imagine they are horrificly hard to execute. With this game even more so, most of the choice is based on how you feel about augmentation and human behavior, how's a game supposed to pick up on that? It could pick it up from ur conversation choices yes, but the end choices were very nuances, how's it supposed to tell if that stuff you said to that random NPC about Aug being dangerous means you want regulation or and end to Augs? I just don't think you as Jenson get to comment enough on your own opinion to give a system like that enough input data.

Also, in my playthrough, it didn't seem so much like a button press, as a way to choose between 3 integral game characters opinions and their personal quests. I naturally encountered all 3 opinions before I reached the end, so I knew there would be a conflict/crunch time somewhere further along. I can understand how some might have missed that and just seen it as a wall of text ONLY.

True, though Stalker was very much the same: You don't talk much, you just, say, acquire lots of money and equipment then

if you miss the hard to see door in Chrenobyl, get the Wish Granter ending where Strelok wishes to be a rich man. On getting that, I was pretty shocked, then thought "Actually, this character has just killed a lot of people and taken a lot of stuff. He probably deserves that"

. The ending didn't come from dialogue trees or specific narrative points, it really was based on implicit, low level actions that never felt like multiple choice.

You're right, something that low level would be hard to hang off an issue like pro- or anti-augmentation. I didn't miss any of the stuff about clashing opinions in Deus Ex, it just feels strange and tacked on that, in such a complex and bizarre world, the choice itself falls to Jensen. A different writer or writing team working with game designers could build missions with choices that clearly imply what side your Jensen falls on.

Anyway. Putting that issue at the centre of player choices is evidently not the design philosophy they had, but the developers made an excellent game. I enjoyed pretty much everything else about it :tup:

Yes. Good talk.

Damn it, I've missed idle thumbs, random high level video game discussion, without any trolling. The best.

I feel like i had a weird experience with Stalker, in that i kind of lucked into the "true" ending on my first playthrough without reading any spoilers or really even trying.

I've yet to give that game a go, I've heard tons of good things. I feel like I ask this a lot on these forums but, how taxing is it on graphics cards? My PC isn't exactly top of the line.

I don't think it's very taxing at all, it should run fine.

I mean, if you can get it running in the first place.

Those are very finicky games.

Yeah, the further down you whack the settings, the more stable it is. I got lucky and it ran fine. IIRC, the Stalker Complete mod improves graphics and has bug fixes. Also, prepare to feel like the entire game world hates you. It does not hold your hand in anything like the way a US/UK designed FPS does.

Don't worry, I've played Crusader Kings 2, I'm emminently capable of flailing around in a game for the first 10 hours being inexplicably punished until I work it ouy.

So there's three games, Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat.

I've only played Shadow of Chernobyl, though i've heard Call of Pripyat is very good, and that Clear Sky is a train wreck.

Probably doesn't hurt to start with Shadow of Chernobyl?

Just thought I'd mention Metro 2033 as a fantastic game that appears to have very much in common with the Stalker games, even though it's very linear. It's great-looking and super-immersive. You feel like you're about to die throughout the whole game.

I think that was actually developed by a group that broke off from the Stalker devs, and it is a very good game.

Pripyat has a lot more polish than Chernobyl, but to me it also feels a bit friendlier. It didn't absorb me as much (I stopped playing about 2/3 through and keep meaning to go back to it).

The artefacts, and hunting them, are certainly a lot more interesting in Pripyat though. It has some really weird locations.

it also feels a bit friendlier. It didn't absorb me as much (I stopped playing about 2/3 through and keep meaning to go back to it)

(Satisfied sigh)

Ah, video games

I have a premonition of 2033 making my PC bug out and die as its got a bit more polish. And as you say, looks nice.

But, a customer gave me a PC today at work, so who knows? I may have a gem on my hands.

Haha, just found a giant poster in this game advertising…

Final F (writing obscured by anime character) sy XXVII

Well played Edios Montreal, well played…

Haha, just found a giant poster in this game advertising…

Final F (writing obscured by anime character) sy XXVII

Well played Edios Montreal, well played…

Hah yea Just finished the game yesterday, found that as well. Did you also read the emails in the police station, to Alex Murphy talking about among other things Officer Lewis.

In case you missed it:

dxhr+2012-04-09+22-25-59-43.jpg

I'm gonna sound like a dunce now but, what's that in reference too? I found it but, didn't think anything of it.

Also, I'm on the cusp of finishing my no deaths/no alarms/doctorate playthrough and I've just checked the collectibles guide and realised I've missed an ebook back in detroit! Damn it!

It's a reference to Paul Verhoeven's classic movie Robocop.

It's a reference to Paul Verhoeven's classic movie Robocop.

I'd buy that for a Dollar!!

That almost makes it sound like Murphy was having an affair with Lewis!

That was actually the case for one draft of the script. Verhoeven asked for it, but then realised it felt too much like a Euro art movie and got Neumeier to take it out again.

This was my favorite game of last year and I didn't even finish it. I stalled on that boss with all the animatronic bodies, I literally couldn't beat him no matter what I did. And yet - my favorite thing of last year.

When you consider the competition, I think that's pretty telling.

Edit: Thought spurred from a previous post in the thread: Reloading like twenty times to save Malik was probably the best thing I did in a Video game last year.

This was my favorite game of last year and I didn't even finish it. I stalled on that boss with all the animatronic bodies, I literally couldn't beat him no matter what I did.

What difficulty did you play on?

This was my favorite game of last year and I didn't even finish it. I stalled on that boss with all the animatronic bodies, I literally couldn't beat him no matter what I did. And yet - my favorite thing of last year.

Use the instant kill bug where you use the take down move after he jumps over a wall.

In some cases that's the only way to get past that guy without loading a very early savegame.

What difficulty did you play on?

Give Me Deus Ex was the hardest one, right? I played on that one.

Elmeurte: Oddly enough, I played a stealth focused character but never attempted a take-down on him because it didn't work on the second boss. I'll have to replay it sometime and actually finish the game.