Sombre

Dwarf Fortress: Succession Fort!

Still can't get it to work. I'm actually going away all weekend if someone smarter wants to take it over instead. i'll get my dwarf on when i get back.

Hm, really strange.

FatCat, give it a shot and if doesn't work I'll just package up the entire thing.

Im visiting family on a really crappy computer, but I've continue just playing around with it, it'll be really interesting to see where other people will take it and theres a lot of surprises(at least for me) which are interesting an interesting challenge.

But even on my alternative dimension Lungfurnace, it's doing realy well. So this might be a good thing. hehe

How about we all use:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2431

Newest DF version with phoebus tileset installed)

and

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.0

(Dwarf Therapist, very like dwarf manager)

You can still use the tutorial i think. the main button changes i've notices are Esc to leave menus and + and - on the num pad to scroll up and down through meuns.

Just a reminder I was using Dibs suggestion on builds.

Oh and you just need to generate a world, use it, quit the game, then transfer your save over and it will work. Not sure if that makes a different but it's what I do.

Edited by Murdoc

Apologies, didn't get round to downloading the files over the weekend. I'm signed up to the box thing now though so I'll download the stuff as soon as I get back from work and see if I can get it going. Will report back later.

Depending on how fast people take their turns, I probably won't be around for at least one (possibly two) of mine. This Wednesday (21st) to the 8th of August, I'll be without Internet, so you can just skip me if I come up in that time-frame. Argh, godsdamned weddings.

Dibs, do you want to have a go at getting it working again (or someone else)?

I'm about to go on holiday at the end of the week and I don't think I'll have time to take my turn before I go away. Doesn't help that I blew all my spare time on Deathspank the past few days!

Sorry for messing you all about. I'll be able to take my turn the following week though (from 2nd august onwards). It's sod's law; I've had all the time in the world recently and now everything is happening at once!

NP everyone, it's summer so I have a feeling a rythum to get this going might be a little weird until the fall, hehe.

Playing here and there on my alternate version and honestly its the most boring place, everything is going well, the fortress is doing amazingly well(well compared to previous attempts).

I hope the succession playthrough will provide a little craziness in it.

Just tried getting the download to work Murdoc. No luck I'm afraid. I unzipped both files then copied everything into one folder then stuck it in the dwarf fortress /data/save folder but it doesn't let me select it to continue with in the menu.

I might be doing it wrong though...

I put it into the data/save folder then loaded up DF with all my other saves still in there. Then I started with a fresh version of DF and stuck it in there and still no luck. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I remember reading a mini FAQ about swapping saves on the Boatmurdered updates, so I'll dig through and see if I can find anything out.

I put it into the data/save folder then loaded up DF with all my other saves still in there. Then I started with a fresh version of DF and stuck it in there and still no luck. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I remember reading a mini FAQ about swapping saves on the Boatmurdered updates, so I'll dig through and see if I can find anything out.

Really weird. I'll see what the size is like when I zip up the entire game and post it on the box.

Your using DF_31_08_Phoebus_2_1_3 ; right?

edit: Just posted two new files with the game exe; so if that doesn't work, I don't know what would.

Edited by Murdoc

Pretty sure I'm using the same Phoebus version. I'll have to leave it for a couple of weeks now though as I won't be able to get to my computer. I'll be visiting some Welsh fortresses while I'm away so I'll see if I can pick up any tips. :)

Someone else have a go with the new files and I'll take my turn further down the road. Hope it works!

Ah well, I'll take the files with me and try them on my comp at home too. We can pick this up in the fall anyway or just start over later.

Was anyone else interested in doing this? I checked the files on a different, barely functioning computer, and it works fine.

I'd hate this project to stop before it began because the game is really awesome.

I'm deffo still up for this. since you have confirmed it works i'll try it out tonight or tomorrow.

I know, i suck. I'll get around to it, but Desktop Dungeons has become my looks like a roguelike game of choice since the new release of it^^ I'll probably let it simmer down once i pass normal with the last class.

Well, it's good that you didn't start it, since I'm now back, so I can participate once more.

Been away from here for a while but I'm still up for this. It's been a while since I loaded up DF as well to be honest but I'm sure I'll be able to get back into it in no time.

Where are we at now? Is anyone currently taking a turn?

Ok, so strike me down, i'll take over on tuesday if nobody has done so at the weekend.

i'm weak, minecraft isd destroying me.

Yeah, I've just discovered Minecraft...

But! I did pick up DF over the weekend to refresh my memory for this succession thing. You go ahead with it tommorrow though dibs and I'll pick up after your go.

The fort I went back to over the weekend ended in disaster. I picked it back up and realised that I'd not long lost all my miners and mining equipment while trying to defeat a flying serpent-like forgotten beast. After slaughtering many on it's way through the fort, I'd managed to barricade the rest of the population on the entrance level. This flying thing was just hanging around in the sleeping quarters 1 floor below and having no militia and no weapons/armour (or method of making them yet), I'd ordered the Dwarves to dig out and collapsed the roof of the room it was in below. I killed the beast. Also my miners. And possibly a small Dwarven child.

Anyway; after seeing the aftermath and remembering the destruction I got back to repairing the floor, burying the dead and getting things back on track so my dwarves could move on from the horrifying events. I also trapped the entrance to the dangerous caves below from where the beast had come while I thought about a better defence. No sooner had I set the last trap another forgotten beast appeared. One made of vomit and breathing poisonous vapours. She waded through the traps oblivious and after many civilian deaths (some via maddened Dwarven hands) my emergency militia of wrestlers joined the fray. I've never seen anything quite like it to be honest. This thing could vomit the length of the corridors. Every now and again it would explode covering anything near by in poisonous vapour extract. After watching this for about 40 minutes and with only a handful of Dwarfs left rocking back and forth in various corners of the fort I abandoned all hope. Maybe one day I'll reclaim it (I was quite proud of the natural waterfall which I'd built it around) but for now it belongs to the vomit creature.

Love it.

it only took me 3 months, but its up and working! i'll get to reading your log whilest the classical guitar sooths me.

General consensus of Murdoc's rule from the dwarves:

Wheres the beer at?

Murdoc! Never forget the boooze!

Personally I struggle with 'too many bleedin' plump helmets!' syndrome.