Sombre

Dwarf Fortress: Succession Fort!

I'm so glad you guys are really getting into this, I really hold dear how intrinsically deep every system in the game is. You guys should look up "Adamantine".

You wouldn't happen to have a version of the phoebus tile set that works with the version the tutorial works on? There are just little key commands and stuff that seemed more improved over the version I have with phoebus.

I only discovered that tile set as it was packaged with the 2010 version I downloaded. If it's just a hot key thing, you should be able to change them to whatever you want somehow. What version do you have btw? If it's the 2010 version that might be where your problems are, that tutorial is for the older 40d one and there's some significant changes to how some stuff works and more than likely what hot keys do.

Checkout the Dwarf Fortress Wiki . I can't remember if it's been mentioned already but it's an essential bookmark for anything DF related.

Sombre: I'm still reeling from how deep I had to go for farming. I've kept mining as a purely architectural activity so far!

We should do this succession fort soon. Anyone willing to start? I'd be tempted to if no-one else takes it up.

Well I'm learning from the tutorial, whatever version that is, but then tried a version with the good tile set, but it seems weird if the good tile set is the "new version" since the option and hotkeys seem more basic and not as good.

If I had the time to join in the succession I believe I would be in(mia in july) so put me down as half because I'm really digging whatever the hell this game is about.

But be aware, I don't have many goals yet for it and whatever I came up with would mostly be a cluster fuck for someone to fix afterwards.

How about we all use:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2431

Newest DF version with phoebus tileset installed)

and

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.0

(Dwarf Therapist, very like dwarf manager)

You can still use the tutorial i think. the main button changes i've notices are Esc to leave menus and + and - on the num pad to scroll up and down through meuns.

How about we all use:

Newest DF version with phoebus tileset installed)

and

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39229.0

(Dwarf Therapist, very like dwarf manager)

You can still use the tutorial i think. the main button changes i've notices are Esc to leave menus and + and - on the num pad to scroll up and down through meuns.

Yeah that was the version where it felt all screwy, I'll give it another go, but it seemed like it had less options and less logical control scheme so I assumed it was an older version.

Whatever is going on in that Dwarf Therapist scares me.

Its really more of an analyist and a therapist. Its a Dwarf Analrapist.

I suggested it because dwarf manager has been crashing a lot on me:(

Can it explain why one of my dwarves has the classification of "whore" and why there is a wedding reception going on in my only meeting room with a muskox?

I didn't even notice I had any whores until I got the invitation to the wedding. This makes me wonder if she will stick with her career because if she does I better build a brothel somehow.

edit: I can't find the whore on the unit list, maybe I was mistaken, I'm sure I read whore.

I now have three flavors of DF sitting on my desktop. I love this game.

Further thoughts on when/how we're going to get going?

Ok, just give me a yea or a neigh and i'll bold your name.

Using Phoebus tileset with newest DF DL:

(Should be pretty compatible with the tutorial learned).

Say 1 year per turn, i'll randomise order (unless there are special timing requests). 1 day after handover to acknowlege that you have started. 3 days to play your turn and get your save uploaded.

The following excuses cannot be used to shrike out of playing:

1) I'm afraid i'll ruin the fortress (we have saves, ruination = fun)

2) Whores took over my wedding

1) Sombre

2) Toblix

3) dibs

4) F4T C4T

5) Orvidos

6) SGP?

7) Wurtsi?

F4T C4T, you should be able to DL everything and just park the saves into your install folder.

Edited by dibs

I'm in. Sorry about the lack of input, been hell of busy in real life. I couldn't be more in for this game.

I would like to be in, but I haven't even tried the tutorial yet. I'll give it a whirl when I get home.

How did those Boatmurder people get dwarves named after them? I used to love that in Simcity is become some crazed mayor that would build a giant park around his house and bulldoze any trailer parks within eye distance of my mansion.

hehe.

edit:

I still see the word whore pop up, I don't know if it's a glitch when Im scrolling through levels too fast, I'll try to take a screenshot though. Maybe I've just gone crazy.

Anyway, it was around the time this morning when my gem setter went mad and goblins were stealing the children that I pretty much thing this is one of the best game systems ever realized.

I would honestly love to be on a project and try to turn this into a sellable product (Sorry to use a crappy term like that and I by no means suggest dumbing it down or making it more of a game, just make it playable to more people, have a an easier time for entry level players and making it look better)

Anyway, my friends think I'm crazy now since I've been diving into the littler games and this one by far is the toughest sell ever just based on how it looks.

Amazing though and I haven't even scratched the surface or figured out anything.

You can give nicknames to dwarves (u -> select dwarf -> v -> y -> n) :)

Can i count you as in "in" then Murdoc?:P

Would, but I will be MIA after this month until august. I'll try to get on this in the fall if you guys are still going.

I'm all in. *Pushes a pile of skelk bones onto the table*

Question: I'm guessing as the fortress gets bigger the classification does too? Like village, town, city, metropolis in SimCity? Because this miner from day one just started to be everything, like broker, etc... and just named himself the first Mayor and now all the admin roles have different titles.

What just happened here?

edit: Also, what am I if not Mayor? Can I have this guy arrested?

The admin roles appear as you become more successful and bigger. Eventually snotty nobles move in.

Ah, neat, it just suddenly happened. Well after a mishap with magma my self proclaimed mayor and everything else went all depressed then, as I suspect, committed suicide.

He went way off into the woods to "conduct a meeting" with himself and the god damn fish in the river and BAM! goblins.

He's dead now.

I still trying to figure out channeling because I have people stuck in holes now and my kitchen is flooded with magma, lol.

edit: They're all dead now. Basically during the winter without a leader it turned into the shining. No one was working and everyone was just breaking stuff and killing each other. So I drafted everyone, sent them to the meeting hall, locked the door and had someone on the outside pull the level to the kitchen door.

I don't think the fortress can be salvaged with a few crazy masons and a bunch of kids and dogs running around busting up stuff.

Edited by Murdoc

I still trying to figure out channeling because I have people stuck in holes now and my kitchen is flooded with magma.

This needs to be a on a t-shirt.

Sorry to derail the thread, so to get it back on point:

Actually, if no one minds me missing the second turn(maybe? but will for sure be around for the third, etc..) and if I could be bumped in front of the question marks, I'd love to give it go.

You'll see my credentials are in order with my past experience, so it's like they say, lightening never strikes twice, so I'm a lock for not killing everyone unintentionally or intentionally. :)

No worries, only taking names at the moment.

I've been playing the new version, i can see what you meant by 2 seasons taking a while. Was the old version timed differently?

Well, we could just start asap and let people join or drop out as they please; it's not like a neptune's pride game that requires someone from start to finish(is it?) as long as they are capable of completing a couple seasons(their term in office) it should be cool, right?

Boy I don't understand military, I can't seem to put anyone in charge of the idiot that is currently in charge, goblins are wreaking havok on the folk and their off sleeping or drinking and not doing anything I try to order them to do.

OK started on the pheobus build. Tile set is much cleaner, there are some minor improvements that are pretty good, but a few things like hitting escape to enter instead of the standard space bar for everything is a bit annoying. Also now it uses + and - to scroll through lists< i preferred alt-arrow keys, seems I am moving my hands to the far end of the keyboard now, so going to look into changing that if possible.

I also like how you can customize your expedition when you start out, but kind of hoped they could randomize some of the things, like stats for each character and the items, just give me a starting point then I'll swap some stuff around afterwards rather then picking every individual thing.

I am currently in the Everlasting Dimension of the civilization Avalanche of Punches, in the region of Field of Battles starting the new fortress, Bridgeancient.

I love the random info/name generator in this :)

edit: 3 minutes into the actual game and a miner has already been crushed to death; this is off to a great start.

Edited by Murdoc