Sign in to follow this  
Sleepdance

That's why Kindle rocks!

Uk. Amazon ships Kindles only inside UK, so you have to order one from America, but since the dollar is lower than pound you could get it at about the same cost even if you include shipping.

Ooh, I'm really getting interested, Amazon.com had a separate page for international shipping of Kindle and the Euro charger costs 5 dollars only if you add that to the Kindle deal.

How does the free 3G thing work, I was checking and I couldn't find the list of the 100 countries that are supported? Wi-Fi I can get in many places so that's not a problem.

Well, since even we are supported there is almost no chances that Finland wouldn't be, although it would be smart to check. The 3g is pretty much wi-fi on the go, that drains your battery life(it's very usefull when you are travelling and don't have a computer or internet access). But if you are intending to read it just at home, there is no reason to buy one. Unless they are going to expand the newspaper idea what would be totally rad(got a chance to try the iPad and was blown away by Wired app).

Nice to see the price go down. How saddled with DRM is Kindle?

Kindle books can only be used on a kindle product or app, though you can get that for pretty much everything:

Iphone, Ipad, Android, Windows, OSX, Blackberry.

Though the biggest apparent problem is:

"You are able to redownload your books an unlimited number of times to any specific device.

Any one time the books can be on a finite number of devices. In most cases that means you can have the same book on six different devices.

Unfortunately the publishers decide how many licenses, that is devices, a book can be on at any one time. While most of the time that will be five or six different devices there will be times when it’s only one device.

At the present time there is no way to know how many devices can be licensed prior to buying the book."

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/06/19/kindles-drm-rears-its-ugly-head-and-it-is-ugly/

I was thinking more along the lines of whether Kindle likes to read stuff that wasn't bought from the Amazon store. What I'd really use it most for is the articles and stuff I need to read for my thesis.

You just need to change the format of the file with some program that youcan find online for free, but if you want to save yourself the work, Amazon can do it for you for some cash.

I was thinking more along the lines of whether Kindle likes to read stuff that wasn't bought from the Amazon store. What I'd really use it most for is the articles and stuff I need to read for my thesis.

As previously stated, it reads Word documents and PDFs, apparently.

How good are the underlining, bookmarking, notetaking, etc. features in Kindle? Without those, I couldn't imagine using one for study purposes.

How good are the underlining, bookmarking, notetaking, etc. features in Kindle? Without those, I couldn't imagine using one for study purposes.

Not sure if you've bothered to check the Kindle page on Amazon, but...

Bookmarks and Annotations

By using the QWERTY keyboard, you can add annotations to text, just like you might write in the margins of a book. And because it is digital, you can edit, delete, and export your notes. You can highlight and clip key passages and bookmark pages for future use. You'll never need to bookmark your last place in the book, because Kindle remembers for you and always opens to the last page you read.

It also has a built-in dictionary.

Document types it supports are:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC.

And HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

No support for *.LIT (Microsoft) or *.EPUB (no idea why)

My only concern now is the so-called "optimum 11 words per line" thing. How important is it, does anyone know?