Squid Division

Fallout: New Vegas

I also :tup:, although I am concerned that the game is a bit crash-happy. This one might have to wait for a new patch and/or the new computer I am finally getting in December.

Indeed. Rock, Paper Shotgun today lovingly details some of the many bugs of New Vegas.

Two crashes in four hours? That takes dedication!

God, FO3 for the 360 locked up more often than that. God that game was buggy at launch. Having gone through Empire Total War at launch, I have high standards before I call a game broken. That game set the fucking standard for broken.

Apparently there is some issue today with digital content codes as well on the PS3, though I assume that's for Fallout 3? Rough day at work for them, to be sure.

It is a real pity. If this is how it ships, what kind of condition is it in when people are doing the QA?

I am eagerly awaiting Ender Scrolls V in id Tech 5 with combat engine done by Arkane Studios.

this game is even more broken on PC than it is on console. at least on console the game works when NPCs are visible.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1122285-game-runs-very-choppy/

I get about 10 fps when there is an NPC onscreen (totally smooth 60fps otherwise). combat is impossible unless you use vats. i really like the parts i've managed to play. it would be nice to play the rest of it... ;(

God, FO3 for the 360 locked up more often than that. God that game was buggy at launch. Having gone through Empire Total War at launch, I have high standards before I call a game broken. That game set the fucking standard for broken.

well this at least boots up without argument. beyond that though, it's close..

Not really a game ending bug, although the only real reason I'm posting this now is because the game crashed.

falloutnvcheyenne.png

I'm also getting pretty poor performance, it's bringing back memories of Alpha Protocol.

My gameplay stands at exactly 100 minutes.

Because I am retarded, and couldn't find one of the plants for the tutorial mission, I shot the tutorial person in the face and went exploring before my brain shut off for the night.

The differences are both immediate and subtle, never at the same time of course, but both flavors exist.

Everything is not tinged green all the time.

Iron-sights is a blessing, and at times a curse, but I like it much better than Q3 zoom from FO3.

Giant preying mantis are the new radroach. Appropriate.

A quote from Wayne Newton, on the machine you use to choose your stats: "I once tried one of those Vit-a-matic Vigour things to test my charisma. The machine burst into flames." The new radio is awesome, and not just because of Wayne Newton. They have songs like Big Iron and Blue Moon and that is just it for me.

DYNAMITE. Actual sticks, not a review. Freaking hilarious.

A douchebag sheriff who takes the credits for you rescuing him for himself. "That sure was invigorating, escaping from those bandits. . .not to belittle your contribution, of course." Both hate and love that kind of character.

Voice actors galore. At least 15 separate voices in my 100 minutes alone. A valued improvement.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have wasteland to defile.

so it's looking like the pc problems might be tied to nvidia cards. do all the computers at Obsidian use ATI or something?

I know what part of the issue is. It is barely utilizing the GPU (Graphics Card). I am running a GTX 260, and monitoring my GPU Usage percentages while in game. It averages between 18%- 35% usage. Sometimes dipping even lower when NPC's come on screen. Something is severely messed up with the optimization of this. Its simply not using our hardware like it should.

I am just so irritated/dissapointed right now. In my mind the game is simply unplayable in this state, and I feel like I just got completely ripped off buying this game. Someone really missed the mark releasing the game this broken...

hoo boy.

re: Alpha Protocol pc- yeah that was nearly unplayable. console version worked fantastic though. shame i ended up spending $90 just to play it.

Sounds like an open world RPG alright.

Luckily I've got Borderlands GOTYE to play while they fix it.

so it's looking like the pc problems might be tied to nvidia cards. do all the computers at Obsidian use ATI or something?

hoo boy.

re: Alpha Protocol pc- yeah that was nearly unplayable. console version worked fantastic though. shame i ended up spending $90 just to play it.

That's too bad. I played all the way through Alpha Protocol and had no big technical issues that I can remember. I have an ATI card, so maybe that's why?

maybe? the good (?) news was that it was in Unreal, which is super easy to tweak via .ini so after several hours I got it in a mostly-functional state. but the constant crashes and framerate drops eventually wore me down and I just went out and bought the 360 version.

don't most consoles use ATI cards nowadays? that might explain it.

it's a shame that I can run Crysis at "ultra" on this computer but some other games just kick sand in its face.

oh, side note: stealth actually sort of worked on the console version of AP

PS3 GPU is based on the nVidia Geforce 7 series.

The XBox 360 uses an ATI GPU, based on the R520 series.

Yeah I've got nvidia and it's weird. Really stuttery in the wastes, but no problem in doors. I read somewhere it was an issue with the engine constantly loading off the hard drive. FO3 was like this too, so I'm not holding out hope.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who never, ever successfully hit a target without using VATS in Fallout 3.

I failed to shoot Super Mutants that were within sledgehammering range. My method of fighting became little more than "run backward and frantically hit the R Bumper."

I switch back and forth from VATS depending on how desperate I am for the fight to end quickly. Geckos and bloatflies aren't that much of a threat, so I usually don't bother. I even had a nice bandit double kill without VATS. Brought up iron sights with a 10mm pistol and made two quick headshot kills within a few seconds of each other. It was the kind of thing that makes you wish you had FRAPS running.

Also, is anybody else having trouble figuring out how to play Caravan? Maybe it's just me, but the rules you're given are just vague enough that I sort of know what's going on without being able to affect it in any useful way.

I really like caravan, and I'm wondering if it was invented for F:NV. The holotape given to you by the one dude actually has the wrong rules, look in the help list for a better version.

This is my understanding of the rules.

You have to build up column sets of cards that add up to between 21 and 26 that have a higher total than your opponents. A-10 add that value to each caravan (Aces low), while face cards and jokers have other effects.

Your last two cards in a column set whether you're going up or down in sequence. So if you have A - 3 on a caravan, you can put any card higher than three. Your most recent card sets the suit of a caravan, so if you have A Club - 3 Diamond - 5 Spade you can play any spade. Using suited cards you can change the sequence order again, since it's always based on the two cards before it. For example, playing a 4 of Spades on the previous example would mean that you would have to play a card lower than 4 since the 2 most recent numbers are 5 - 4.

Special cards can be played on your or your opponent's cards.

Jacks remove the card they're attached to along with face cards.

Queens reverse the number order (if you were going up in sequence, you now go down) and change the suit to that of the queen.

Kings double the 'card' they're attached to. It stacks like brackets. If you attach a king to a 4, you get 4*2=8, if you attach a king to that you get (4*2)*2= 8*2=16. Attaching a king to a card that your opponent already has a king on is a surefire way to make them bust.

Jokers will remove all cards of the same rank if attached to a 2-10 and all cards of the same suit if attached to an Ace, except for the card they are attached to.

It's a good idea to start caravans on cards at either end of the A-10 spectrum. If you start with an Ace, you can stack any card higher than it in the next row, so you have a lot of choices. If you start with a 10 you can play any card lower than it.

The game ends when, between you and your opponent, there is a caravan with a total between 21 and 26 in each column, and there are no ties. The player with at least 2 caravans, with a higher value than their opponent, wins.

Edited by CaptainFish

6 hours. 1 crash (I suspect because my computer couldn't handle it, but might also be a bug crash)

Not tired of it yet.

Is there a

player house like in Megaton or Tenpenny?

I'm seven and a half hours in and haven't found one.

No crash yet, but still sputtering badly. There was a thing on the steam forums about turning all the water graphical settings to the lowest to fix it, but it didn't work for me.

Some folks on the bethesda forums have narrowed down the major causes of slowdown and stuttering. The biggest one, and the one I've found, is some issue with the NPC's heads and facial animations. if you use the console command "toggleEmotions" your average framerate should jump up. I get an extra 10-20 fps around NPCs now.

There's apparently a way to edit the .ini so that no NPCs have heads and if you do it supposedly the game runs at breakneck FPS speeds. of course it's half unplayable in that state, but still.

I mean, I knew gamebryo characters were ugly, but not game-breakingly ugly.

Also I can't imagine it's a fun day to be Nick Breckon

ToKIkw3LIoQ

This engine is so broken.

*Insert gales of maniacal laughter for about 10 minutes here*