Sign in to follow this  
Brannigan

Best Boy Scouts badge, ever.

I hated Boyscouts because all I did was fight with everyone. I left after two years.

I did get a badge once for drawing a comic book jacket around my Scout guide.

I would have totally went in for this video game one.

American scout badges look weird

This is for cub scouts (the younger kid version of Boy Scouts that you belong to until you're 10 and a half) so it's actually a pin (that's what they use). Boy Scouts, on the other hand, use the traditional round patches.

When I was a cub scout I got a programming merit badge. All I had to do was make a 2D sprite of an airplane (that I hadn't drawn myself) move around a screen randomly (with no option to actually control it).

I'm an Eagle user122324_pic1820_1221454527.gif

So yeah, this is awesome.

Hey, me too! :woohoo:

But yeah, I think this is a really good idea. It's basically teaching kids that video games are an OK pastime to have if you're not retarded about it:

- explaining the importance of the video game ratings system

- working with an adult to build a schedule that includes chores, homework and gaming

- playing a game designed to boost math, spelling or other school-oriented skills

- comparing games at different retailers for the best prices

- install a gaming rig

- play a game with a friend for one hour

Let's see, it doesn't demonize video games, encourages kids to balance their time, not waste all their money (allowance), and make gaming into a social activity. Good job, Cub Scout Badge Committee.

Yet another Eagle here.

One thing that I think is interesting is that by having their kid earn this belt loop, the parents are implicitly acknowledging the ratings system and knowing how to figure out what games are appropriate for their children. Logically this then means that they can't really blame the video games or their companies for whatever they want as they're supposed to know how to be able to find the right ones for their kids. Unfortunately that won't happen.

I hated Boyscouts because all I did was fight with everyone. I left after two years.

I did get a badge once for drawing a comic book jacket around my Scout guide.

I would have totally went in for this video game one.

Cub scouts here and I left after a camping trip went terrible wrong. Rain, being woken up at sunrise and thrown into a cold shower and then they made me eat breakfest with a wisk one day.

That was about enough of that shit that I cared for. I did like the manual and the badges though.

I never made it past cub scouts.

I remember going on a camping trip where we were told to bring water pistols. I was crouching there refilling my pump actuated replica shotgun water pistol at the well and some twit comes over and unloads a good shot of this scummy undrinkable pond water point blank in my ear. I scurried to get my gun together and retaliate with a good soaking, but I never saw who it was.

Then my stupid cheap gun ended up not working at all. It only got worse from there, as I got a fierce ear infection that kept me bed ridden the rest of that weekend. I'm talking horrendous pain all down the left nasal ductwork and throat every time I swallowed. That ear's still funny to this day. If I could quantum leap back into my younger self, I'd totally lay that little brat out for what he put me through.

Scott Bacula.

I'm a nice well adjusted dude, honest. Anyway, um, that was my last summer as a cub scout.

I'll tell you what though, pinewood derbies and regattas were the effin' bomb. I also seem to remember something about an aircraft type thing with a prop that slid along a string. I wonder what other kind of new stuff they've got nowadays.

Man, I need to start buggin' the ol' lady for a son soon.

I remember going on a camping trip where we were told to bring water pistols. I was crouching there refilling my pump actuated replica shotgun water pistol at the well and some twit comes over and unloads a good shot of this scummy undrinkable pond water point blank in my ear. I scurried to get my gun together and retaliate with a good soaking, but I never saw who it was.

Then my stupid cheap gun ended up not working at all. It only got worse from there, as I got a fierce ear infection that kept me bed ridden the rest of that weekend. I'm talking horrendous pain all down the left nasal ductwork and throat every time I swallowed. That ear's still funny to this day. If I could quantum leap back into my younger self, I'd totally lay that little brat out for what he put me through.

FUCK

I'm a nice well adjusted dude, honest. Anyway, um, that was my last summer as a cub scout.

I'll tell you what though, pinewood derbies and regattas were the effin' bomb. I also seem to remember something about an aircraft type thing with a prop that slid along a string. I wonder what other kind of new stuff they've got nowadays.

Man, I need to start buggin' the ol' lady for a son soon.

I remember the pinewood derby at least. My dad had gotten one of his friends to weld me this awesome looking engine weight. It had little exhaust pipes coming out of the side. I then painted flames on the side of the car.

It moved like shit and lost every race I think due to it being too heavy, but it was still really awesome to me.

I remember Cub Scouts was responsible for getting me my first game boy as well. I had to hock a bunch of stupid coupons outside of a grocery store all day to win it out of this catalog, but I was determined to get that mother fucker. And I did... along with a dumb flashlight.

It didn't come with a game so then my parents bought me Qix for Christmas. :frusty:

When I was a cub scout I got a programming merit badge. All I had to do was make a 2D sprite of an airplane (that I hadn't drawn myself) move around a screen randomly (with no option to actually control it).

I got a badge for collecting Warhammer.

I remember the pinewood derby at least. My dad had gotten one of his friends to weld me this awesome looking engine weight. It had little exhaust pipes coming out of the side. I then painted flames on the side of the car. It moved like shit and lost every race I think due to it being too heavy, but it was still really awesome to me.

Oh, those derbies were the best. Those were some sweet father son moments. I remember there being a weight limit in ours though, it would seem that being heavy would be an advantage. Regardless, we had our little trick, graphite lock lubricant. All over the axels. Greased lightning I tells ya.

I'm really sorry about Qix.

Oh, those derbies were the best. Those were some sweet father son moments. I remember there being a weight limit in ours though, it would seem that being heavy would be an advantage. Regardless, we had our little trick, graphite lock lubricant. All over the axels. Greased lightning I tells ya.

You're right, I remember that there was a limit now. I think the engine weight that was made for me was just at the limit or barely below it. I don't remember ever spending a lot of time thinking about the lubricant, so maybe that was my problem.

Was graphite lock lubricant legal? If that's the same stuff I bought a few months ago for a lawnmower, it really stinks.

I'm really sorry about Qix.

Haha, it's long gone now. I think shortly after that I convinced my parents to get me Kirby's Dreamland instead, but I don't remember the occasion. Everything turned out fine.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

You're right, I remember that there was a limit now. I think the engine weight that was made for me was just at the limit or barely below it. I don't remember ever spending a lot of time thinking about the lubricant, so maybe that was my problem.

Was graphic lock lubricant legal? If that's the same stuff I bought a few months ago for a lawnmower, it really stinks.

I have no idea if it was allowed or not, but I didn't tell anyone about it then. :shifty:

OK that's ... yeah, you pretty much take the crown there.

Haha, for one of my badges, public speaking or something like that, I asked if I could give a speech on Warhammer and my counselor said no because "war games aren't appropriate for scouting" or some nonsense.

Also, very cool to see fellow Eagles here!

I considered joining the Boy Scouts until I found out that it actual involved leaving my house. So that was right out.

What is wrong with Qix?!

Qix was fun... though I never had it on the game boy. Was that a shitty version?

Haha, Qix is a fine game for 1981, just it was very disappointing to have an underwhelming budget port as my first Game Boy game.