Sign in to follow this  
Sombre

So long Mythic?

Earlier on today, people who have Warhammer online were charged up to $500 in subscription fees in what could be seen as the biggest fuck up in MMO history.

See the reactions here

This can only end absolutely horrendously. I forsee a lot of jobs going down the shitter, and the playerbase of WAR completely dwindling .

They're facing over thousands of dollars in reimbursements. I literally have no idea how this kind of accident gets through. A crying shame

Can't they just see where they charged what and then refund, or is it more complicated than that?

Can't they just see where they charged what and then refund, or is it more complicated than that?

Maybe? I suppose it depends on how it even happened, a back end system for that has to be complicated as shit. Was it a bug in the software or human intervention?

Internally, I'd be freaking the hell out to figure out how and why it happened, then prevent it from happening again. Then you have the reimbursements to take care of, and on top of that the PR nightmare.

It's going to go shitty either way.

This is pretty fucked, but I think this doesn't have much to do with Mythic. Anyways, isn't Mythic essentially dissolved and integrated into Bioware?

This is kinda heart wrenching. I mean, this isn't the fault of anyone who developed/develops the actual game. And this is going to kill it. It will be a public relations miracle to recover from this to any degree.

Man that sucks for Mythic I really enjoyed WAR, it was great for rolling around with buds and just fighting an enemy in huge battles. Had to quit because my grades were going down the shitter. Luckily I have about 4 of those time cards lying in my closet, I dodged a bullet there. Also WAR had a GREAT CE which I have lying next to my computer and is one of my favorite boxes in the world.

I knew MMOGs where expensive. But this is quite insane. Apparently there is one guy who was charged for the next 6 years, i.e. $1000+.

My fees were 13 charges of 6 month subscriptions, 77.94 X 13 = 1013.12

It is really sad for the subscribers and Mythic. Even if the collection services let them get refunds out, they're going to be getting harassed and billed for bank charges for a long time, and a lot of people will likely cancel.

This headline is class though, especially given how much Games Workshop gouge, and how culty their shops can be:

Warhammer Actually Costing Players $40K

In the grim future of credit, there are only erroneous charges.

Agreed, not a good thing for the industry in general- The last thing we need is people thinking that it's unsafe to buy/subscribe to game services online. ...Thanks EA Billing.

The issue isn't refunding people the overcharges, I'm sure the records are quite clear and CS/Billing is all over that. The problem is that some of these amounts charged are going to cause overdraft fees. Not everyone keeps their checking account =>$2000 just in case someone's billing systems decides to explode, and they shouldn't be held responsible for the mistake, but that's not how a bank is going to look at it.

In general, overdraft fees aren't refundable, depending on the competence/friendliness/greediness of your preferred bank. They're going to get sued for overdraft charges, and few are going to accept game time or other games as repayment for fees their bank forced them to eat.

Agreed, not a good thing for the industry in general- The last thing we need is people thinking that it's unsafe to buy/subscribe to game services online. ...Thanks EA Billing.

The issue isn't refunding people the overcharges, I'm sure the records are quite clear and CS/Billing is all over that. The problem is that some of these amounts charged are going to cause overdraft fees. Not everyone keeps their checking account =>$2000 just in case someone's billing systems decides to explode, and they shouldn't be held responsible for the mistake, but that's not how a bank is going to look at it.

In general, overdraft fees aren't refundable, depending on the competence/friendliness/greediness of your preferred bank. They're going to get sued for overdraft charges, and few are going to accept game time or other games as repayment for fees their bank forced them to eat.

I believe I remember seeing a quote saying Mythic were going to "Ask banks to waive these fees". Good luck with that.

I've seen people who are not able to find rent, and other silly things.

Also, I can't confirm or deny the legitimacy of this image. Not sure how to take it.

luckyu8.jpg

I believe I remember seeing a quote saying Mythic were going to "Ask banks to waive these fees". Good luck with that.

I've seen people who are not able to find rent, and other silly things.

People pay rent in the middle of the month?

People pay rent in the middle of the month?

I can only report with what I've read from reading their forums, but that's the kind of thing people are flagging up. Just general lifestyle fuck ups. Rent/bills and so on. Not entirely sure on the semantics