Sign in to follow this  
toblix

iPhone OS 4

Thursday of this week's a day during which a conference previewing the next version of iPhone OS 4, or whatever they'll end up calling it now that it's also the OS for the iPod, will be held. As I've been getting a bit tired of the current state of my iPhone, I look forward to amazing new features. According the Steve Jobs, they'll be A+, which should mean stuff like multitasking and animated screensavers.

Anyway, due to the RDF I'm already planning every hour up until the event, making sure everything around me, people and objects, are positioned and instructed in such a way as to not disturb me during.

Multitasking would finally make the iphone usable. They can keep the screensavers.

But I really wonder how multitasking would work. Does the home button simply put applications in the background instead of close them?

Firstly, I'm not convinced they're doing multitasking at all, at least not for the existing generation of phones. Furthermore, if they are, I'm sure they're doing it in some crazy way like only allowing background processes to be very small and react to specific events, or only allowing one background app at a time. There are rumors (of course) about just having an Exposé thing where all your running apps are available, but that's just not going to work on the phones that are out now.

Oh, and also animated home screen backgrounds would be sweet. There could be like a spaceship flying through space.

Firstly, I'm not convinced they're doing multitasking at all, at least not for the existing generation of phones. Furthermore, if they are, I'm sure they're doing it in some crazy way like only allowing background processes to be very small and react to specific events, or only allowing one background app at a time. There are rumors (of course) about just having an Exposé thing where all your running apps are available, but that's just not going to work on the phones that are out now.

Oh, and also animated home screen backgrounds would be sweet. There could be like a spaceship flying through space.

Yeah, doubt that multitasking is in. Particularly with the ipad not mutitasking. Never know though.

Multitasking would finally make the iphone usable. They can keep the screensavers.

But I really wonder how multitasking would work. Does the home button simply put applications in the background instead of close them?

Huh... that's strange. I once used an iPhone, but I guess I was being deceived since it's not usable.

I think the iPad is more reason for iPhone OS 4.0 to have multitasking, though I think it'll be limited to either just the iPad or the iPad/3GS. Apple is so concerned with stability that they just wouldn't risk it with lower powered models, I imagine.

The ONLY reason I want multitasking is so that I can have my This American Life running in the background while I play Tetris.

The ONLY reason I want multitasking is so that I can have my This American Life running in the background while I play Tetris.

You don't get the This American Life podcast?

The iPod Touch can run the music/pocast under other apps, as long as the apps allow it. Not sure why this isn't the case with the iPhone. :s

It's not that strange. The iPhone is multitasking all the time. The real issue is allowing 3rd party apps to run in the background. The notification system was an attempt at solving part of the problem, but it's probably the worst part of the phone now. I'm guessing they're going to do something about it, but I'm very curious as to what exactly they'll do.

What I'm missing most of all on my phone right now is for it to show me missed calls, messages, etc. without having to push any buttons. There's no excuse for this not to be in place as long as it's on external power. I'm also guessing the next phone will have a sweet pulsating LED for this.

It's not that strange. The iPhone is multitasking all the time. The real issue is allowing 3rd party apps to run in the background. The notification system was an attempt at solving part of the problem, but it's probably the worst part of the phone now. I'm guessing they're going to do something about it, but I'm very curious as to what exactly they'll do.

What I'm missing most of all on my phone right now is for it to show me missed calls, messages, etc. without having to push any buttons. There's no excuse for this not to be in place as long as it's on external power. I'm also guessing the next phone will have a sweet pulsating LED for this.

Yeah, my biggest desired feature in 4.0 is actually usage of the locked screen, which there's really no excuse for. Why not show weather stats? Missed calls? Emails? Battery life? SOMETHING? The lock screen is absolutely useless for practically no reason.

Yeah, my biggest desired feature in 4.0 is actually usage of the locked screen, which there's really no excuse for. Why not show weather stats? Missed calls? Emails? Battery life? SOMETHING? The lock screen is absolutely useless for practically no reason.

The Lock Screen. It Just Works.

Except sometimes when I get a call, and sliding the god damn thing over doesn't work, and I start panicking and the ringtone keeps ringing!

Ok, to be more specific, a jailbroken iphone will allow 3rd party apps to run in the background, and it does so happily.

The iPod Touch can run the music/pocast under other apps, as long as the apps allow it. Not sure why this isn't the case with the iPhone. :s

It is.

It is.

Yeah, I realized from other posts that he was talking about the TAL app. And so I ask like others, why not just listen to the podcast instead? <.<

Yeah, I realized from other posts that he was talking about the TAL app. And so I ask like others, why not just listen to the podcast instead? <.<

The app has all the podcasts, and I can only download one episode via the iTunes feed? Yes, I know I could torrent etc, but I'd rather pay my £1.79 and never worry about it again.

Basically the same reason for me except I want Pandora to run while I use other apps.

The app has all the podcasts, and I can only download one episode via the iTunes feed? Yes, I know I could torrent etc, but I'd rather pay my £1.79 and never worry about it again.

Fair enough! I didn't know you were delving through the backlog. I've been doing it recently, which has been a ton of fun. That app is absolutely a godsend for TAL lovers.

Fair enough! I didn't know you were delving through the backlog. I've been doing it recently, which has been a ton of fun. That app is absolutely a godsend for TAL lovers.

Yeah man, I heard so many good things (and many compared A Life Well Wasted to it) so I figured - Heck, why not? :P It's the same sorta style as Radiolab, which I love, and I love hearing these stories about people! =P

Yeah man, I heard so many good things (and many compared A Life Well Wasted to it) so I figured - Heck, why not? :P It's the same sorta style as Radiolab, which I love, and I love hearing these stories about people! =P

I've just recently gotten into Radiolab, but I definitely think they're different in subtle ways. Radiolab tends to have much stronger presence of the interviewer, whereas TAL is a bit more passive and I feel is more about the people than the "message". Both are pretty high on the scale as far as podcasts go, though.

I've just recently gotten into Radiolab, but I definitely think they're different in subtle ways. Radiolab tends to have much stronger presence of the interviewer, whereas TAL is a bit more passive and I feel is more about the people than the "message". Both are pretty high on the scale as far as podcasts go, though.

Oh, absolutely. I think that's the because the science behind some of the ideas is so mindboggling that if a scientist describes it in a confusing way, then either Jad or Robert take over to soften the blow.

Compared to something like Idle Thumbs though, you can see why I shifted the two shows at the other end of the spectrum!

So, iPhone OS 4.0 looks pretty rad. Multitasking, folders, custom backgrounds... at this point, Apple reclosed most of the major gaps that I could see between their competitors. What do you guys think?