Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

The blackwell convergence

Played through the series last week. The first game was a solid adventure game (apart from some alternately whiny and monotone voice acting from the main character who is thankfully recast for the other two), but I loved Unbound and Convergence. The plot in Convergence follows directly from Unbound, so you might want to play that one first. The puzzles were usually logical and never frustrating, mostly centered around detective work, with minimal inventory fussing.

Some of the podcast's observations about The Shivah also apply. The Blackwell series carries the same emphasis on conversations and detective work over inventory puzzles, as well as a neat dialogue system where you choose your motivation or mood instead of selecting a specific line of dialogue. Apart from a few eyebrow-raise-worthy rabbinical action scenes, I recommend checking it out, too, if you have the chance.

There are demos for the Blackwell games if you're still not sure. Oh, and if you order by the end of the month, you can use the coupon code "HOLIDAY" to take off 50% of individual games. Brings Unbound to $7.50 alone and the series to $17.50 for all three games. (You'll have to add in each game separately since it doesn't apply to the bundle.)

That's quite the difference! Looks good, might be what finally pushes me to play that thing.

Sweet, thanks for the reminder! I had the purchase page for the original bookmarked for the longest time back in 2009, and somehow never got around to buying it. This remake just prompted me to do so. Finally being released on Steam doesn't hurt, either.

That's all well and good, but I want my new Blackwell game!

(I haven't played The Shivah, yet, so this will be a good excuse! I'm also reminded, now, that I haven't played Primordia, either. HMMM.)

The characters still look very 320x240. Were backgrounds updated or something? (I still haven't played it)

Everything has been redrawn at a slightly higher resolution and the character sprites have been made larger (to make them viewable on an iPhone)

So, the new Blackwell game is out and I have completed it (going through it again for the commentary/bloopers) and it is good. It's very much worth playing through the older ones first if you're new to the series though. The games definitely improve in quality as they go along and while it's probably possible to jump right in and figure out broadly what's going on, the game is littered with references to prior events. It's also neat to see a series hit 5 installments and end of its own accord (this is not just the latest one, but also, unless Dave Gilbert goes back on his word, the final one in the series).

BTW here's the RPS review. Check the alt text on the last screenshot. Then see this comment.

I played the demo for the latest one and I was very impressed by the amount of content and puzzling happening in the space of about three screens. Very rich worldbuilding going on there. Cool game.