Sign in to follow this  
JonCole

iPhoning it in

So, I decided to reveal my status as a typical consumer and purchase an iPod touch and I thought a horrible headline would make a good title for this thread. I've picked up a lot of the commonly discussed iPhone games and I was just wondering, are there any iPhone/iPod Touch owners around here? And if so, do you know of any decent apps/games that I need to check out?

So far, I've got:

- Droplitz

- Fieldrunners

- Flight Control

- GeoDefense/GD Swarm

- Geared

- I Dig It

- MGS Touch

- TapDefense

- Tetris

- Topple

- Wolfenstein RPG

I have iPod touch mainly because of a battery and a crappy phone so I'm not cut away from world when I play too much....well if I use it to much in any way.

Back to games. You really didn't go wrong with Fieldrunners and Droplitz.

And you should really try Zen bound and of course Peggle:)

Drop7 of course.

Holy fuck, I am addicted to this game. Thanks a lot (just kidding, I hate you (though seriously, this game is great (god, this game is going to destroy my life))).

Drop7 is the most played game on my phone, without question. Can't get more than about 425K on hardcore though. Usually it's around 280, occasionally 350-odd.

Heh. I heard your letter to the GWJ podcast, and was secretly hoping you would get a DS instead, as you seemed to not care as much about the phone features. Oh well. That said, the stuff I recommended in that thread still mostly stands. I really love Jelly Car. That would probably be my biggest priority of recommendation.

Drop7 is the most played game on my phone, without question. Can't get more than about 425K on hardcore though. Usually it's around 280, occasionally 350-odd.

Ha! I've just made it to 550k this weekend!

I also have Wolfenstein RPG, and I really like it. Otherwise, I don't play a lot of games on the iPhone to be honest. Still:

- Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition (this IS idlethumbs)

- Baseball Superstars by Gamevil (cartoony baseball fun, a bit shallow but fun while it lasts)

As for apps, I highly recommend:

- Crosswords

- Tripcase (if you do a fair bit of travelling)

Have fun with your iPod touch mate!

Heh. I heard your letter to the GWJ podcast, and was secretly hoping you would get a DS instead, as you seemed to not care as much about the phone features. Oh well. That said, the stuff I recommended in that thread still mostly stands. I really love Jelly Car. That would probably be my biggest priority of recommendation.

Oh, I have a DS, that's what I tried to make clear in the letter. I was sort of wondering if it stood on it's own, not necessarily against the other systems. The DS is pretty awesome for big RPGs and whatnot, but it doesn't really fit in the pocket as much as I'd like.

Wow. Drop7 is awesome! I saw everyone saying it was good, but didn't believe when I looked at the screenshots. I finally decided to buy it anyway and it's good!

Yeah, I played the PC flash version of that. (It may in fact be in the indie games compendium?) It's pretty great. Don't know how the ipod/phone version plays, but as it was a one-button game, I'd imagine that just a tap on the screen would do the job.

a_flame2.gifa_flame2.gifa_flame2.gifWORDS WITH FRIENDSa_flame2.gifa_flame2.gifa_flame2.gif

I downloaded this game and it's a cool concept, but I've gotta say I'm pretty confused about how it works, since my opponent was awarded points for "eloiner" and "lawine" and I was denied the words "mage", "gaia" and "vega". I looked eloiner and lawine up in several online dictionaries and it appears they do not exist... hrmmm... Am I an idiot? :erm: Please any eloiner fanatics reveal what the F it is... Maybe my opponent's got iHax. :clap:

Edited by Fuzzy Lobster

Maybe it's multilingual? Lawine does happen to be avalanche in Dutch, but I have no idea what eloiner could be.

photonz.jpg

muahaha :yep:

Gaaaaah!

Out of curiosity, how much time did you had to sink into it? I've been playing for about 20 minutes/day (commuting) for last two months and I'm yet to pass 600k.

Gaaaaah!

Out of curiosity, how much time did you had to sink into it? I've been playing for about 20 minutes/day (commuting) for last two months and I'm yet to pass 600k.

Probably at least an hour spread over my day at work. Whenever I feel like taking a break I play for a couple minutes. That happens a lot :hah:

Probably at least an hour spread over my day at work. Whenever I feel like taking a break I play for a couple minutes. That happens a lot :hah:

Ah. So, I need to find a proper work in order to be able to catch up with you ;]

I'm not sure but perhaps the game checks against this thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Tournament_and_Club_Word_List

Oh, wow. Heh. Who knew that the world of competitive Scrabble and Scrabble-like games was so organized? Or.. Existed at all. Well, I petition that they add Mage, Gaia and Vega.

If anyone would be interested in a game with a semi-non-stranger, I'm down!