Scrobbs

Scribblenauts review up!

EG reviews Scribblenauts.

The game sounds brilliant and totally crackers, but on the basis of that review it sounds just too frustrating. I was so wanting this to be wonderous - as parts of it promised and indeed appear to be, but some strange game design decisions appear to have been made.

Any non-spoilerous hints as to what the bad parts are? I know you can't summon a cunt, but what other drawbacks are there?

From the review it seems they haven't been able to find the line between too easy and too hard for the puzzles. I have to wonder how much that is going to vary player to player because it looks so imagination driven.

What I took out of the review was less of an issue with the quality of the puzzles and more about stupidity of the controls.

What I took out of the review was less of an issue with the quality of the puzzles and more about stupidity of the controls.

Precisely this.

I only skimmed it so I guess I missed that bit. That's much more of a definite problem :(

Damn, having read the whole review the control issues do sound astoundingly bad. Seems like the game has ended up as an absolutely amazing toy, but as an actual game and interface it's a bit shit.

Think I might have to get it for the toy aspect alone, though. :fart:

Any non-spoilerous hints as to what the bad parts are? I know you can't summon a cunt, but what other drawbacks are there?

Controls are kind of annoying, and the way that it tells you to solve the puzzles get beyond cryptic. It ends up as more of a toy where you just spawn things and make them fight usually. You will usually end up depending on rope/glue/wings/jetpack quite often. Saying that, it's quite enjoyable.

So I should not get a DS just to play this, then?

Aren't there other games you think you'd enjoy on the DS?

Bangai-O Spirits

Phoenix Wright series

Advance Wars series

Trauma Center series

almost every Atlus and Treasure game that's made these days

If you like JRPGs and (to a lesser extent) platformers, it's kind of the only system left that offers a wide range.

Treasure's fighting games based on the Anime/Manga "Bleach" are great...they incorporated special moves onto the touch screen so they can be employed via what's essentially one button press (of course, you can still use the button combos) which, for once, allows you to focus on strategy more than hammering at buttons and actually enjoy a fighting game without knowing everything about it (no offense to fighting games, I'm exaggerating for effect).

There's just a lot of quirky, fun stuff that comes out on DS. Even the less highly-rated games like Tokyo Beat Down have a lot of charm.

So, I would say, if any of that stuff interests you, consider picking up a ds lite.

If you want...you can even install ScummVM games on it (unofficially, of course...)

Oh! and there's a great NES emulator for it with a "rewind" button, so you can finally play through games like Contra.

Yeah, if you like joy, getting a DS is totally worth it by virtue, alone, of being able to play the Phoenix Wright games.

I got my DS for pokemon. :fart:

I'd like to still try this game out just because how fun coming up with different combinations of stuff sounds, but I'll probably wait on it as I have so much stuff to play on my DS and otherwise. Too bad it didn't quite live up to expectations though.

I'm now going to flood the thread with the huge word list it recognizes. You guys should collect screenshots of every item and post them.

AARDVARK AARDWOLF AARON ABA ABA ABA ABACUS ABALONE ABARKA ABATEMENT WORKER ABAYA ABBESS ABBEY ABBOT ABDOMEN ABETTOR

ABIABA ABI ABODE A-BOMB SHELTER ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN ABOMINATION

ABOYNE SKIRT ABRAHAM LINCOLN ABSCISSIN ABSCONDER ABSOLUTIST

ABTEN ABUTMENT ABYSS ABYSSINIA ABYSSINIAN CA ABYSSINIAN PI

AC ACACIA ACACIA SEED ACACIA TREE ACADEMIC ACADEMICAL DRESS

ACADEMICALS ACADEMIC CAP ACADEMIC DRESS ACADEMIC GOWN ACADEMIC REGALIA ACADEMY ACAI ACAI BERRY ACAI PALM ACAPNOTIC ACARICID

AC CABLE ACCENSOR ACCENTOR ACCENT PILLOW ACCESS CHAMBER ACCESSORY ACCOMMODATION ACCOMPLICE ACCORDION ACCORDION BUS

ACCOUNTANT ACCUSER ACE ACEDIAST ACEPHALIST ACEPROMAZINE

ACEROLA

ahh fuck it... source.

I think that The New Super Mario Bros is worth buying a DS for alone. Plus a new Professor Layton game just shipped and it is AMAYZANG!

Oh! and there's a great NES emulator for it with a "rewind" button, so you can finally play through games like Contra.

..tell me more! What's this emulator called? Say it aint Nesticle!!

:fart:

Aw... That was hilarious but the game didn't recognize it as a success. I was meant to reunite a girl and her kitten which was trapped on top of a house. Using a catapult and a flamethrower, I destroyed the house and brought the kitten to the girl. They were both happy, but it was counted as a failure. Poo...

So yeah, I picked up my preorder today and got my rooster hat. It's a pretty sweet hat, and the game actually seems really fun so far. I'd say it's probably worth the $35 just to support the developer and have some fun tooling around with the system. If it were priced the same as a new first party game, maybe not, but for the budget thing, it's rad. Of course, I'm only halfway through the first world, but whatever. I will say that the biplane controls are shit, but the zeppelin handled pretty well.

'Blix, given how psyched you are for it, I'd say this week's choice is definitely Mario & Luigi 3 (which I also picked up but haven't started) but if you've got the cash to spend on Scribblenauts, it seems really fun from the half hour I've spent with it.

Grah! Controls infuriating! Everything else too awesome to make me hate it! This is a really interesting dilemma to have with a game. When every part except one is unbelievably cool and that one part that sucks is so crucial to gameplay, I don't know if it's more or less forgivable. Why oh why can't I just move my guy around with the Dpad? And then I have a moment where I drop some poison in a kitchen to help get rid of rats and the chef finds the poison first. This then ends up going into the dish he's making and kills everyone in the restaurant. When I get rid of the rats and complete the level, I'm given a "bioterrorist" award. God! I kind of wish I could just decide whether I hate this game or it's my favorite thing this year, but it's such a crazy back and forth I can't say either way...

What sucks about this is that, unlike on the Xbox and PS3, where we're now used to updates, this game is finished. Even if they've now realised the controls should be "fixed", there's nothing they can do about it.

And then I have a moment where I drop some poison in a kitchen to help get rid of rats and the chef finds the poison first. This then ends up going into the dish he's making and kills everyone in the restaurant. When I get rid of the rats and complete the level, I'm given a "bioterrorist" award. God!

Haha, that is the best ever. This is like the Far Cry 2 of portable puzzle games.

Haha, that is the best ever. This is like the Far Cry 2 of portable puzzle games.

High praise indeed. Also, I just discovered that the game contains an invisibility cloak. No anesthetic, but it does recognize "anesthetist," which will spawn a woman in a lab coat who will go around sticking people with a needle that puts them to sleep. I used her help in sedating security guards while I stole one of those star things from a museum.

What sucks about this is that, unlike on the Xbox and PS3, where we're now used to updates, this game is finished. Even if they've now realised the controls should be "fixed", there's nothing they can do about it.

You have to wonder how something apparently so obvious could get past testing, though. Is the fact that everyone seems to hate the controls not a sign you should perhaps think about making adjustments? I get the impression someone had too much faith in his own vision and disregarded complaints or something. :fart:

I'm now going to flood the thread with the huge word list it recognizes. You guys should collect screenshots of every item and post them.

ahh fuck it... source.

I had a quick peruse of that list and there's some awesome stuff in there. If anyone could try these and see what happens I'd love to know what the game does

ROBOSAUR

ROBOT ZOMBIE

QUANTUM DESTABILISER

WHATCHAMACALLIT

REHABILITATION CENTER

I had a quick peruse of that list and there's some awesome stuff in there. If anyone could try these and see what happens I'd love to know what the game does

ROBOSAUR-Just a giant robot dinosaur. It tries to kill you and cant be shot down.

ROBOT ZOMBIE-Like a normal zombie but reskinned

QUANTUM DESTABILISER-It's a gun except it doesnt kill dudes.

WHATCHAMACALLIT-Makes a swiss army knife :s

REHABILITATION CENTER-Rehab centrer just makes a huge thing. It's really aesthetic.

Although, this did make me try "Junkie" and it suggested "Jungle"

SOLD.

However, you can glue steak to a baby, then put the baby in front of a lion to distract him. And BEES are good cause they make people run around.