toblix

New "old-school" LucasArts game announced tomorrow

From their Tweet:

Amazing news coming Monday! Super excited! You have no idea how tough it is not to start yelling about it! But it's secret! Until Monday! [...] It is awesome news for our old school fans. (anything more direct might get me in trouble)

What do you guys think? I hope it's a new Indy adventure game, but expect i to be some Star Wars thing.

Don't forget the later tweets:

I hope I don't disappoint. I know this is something I was asking for since before I worked at LucasArts.
It doesn't have to do with any specific intellectual property...
I did say nothing to do with new IP people!

Star Wars: Rebellion/Supremacy HD Remix. Fingers crossed!

I'd hope for a great, big, new Indy game, but I'd like to think that it would be something a bit more leftfield than yet another game from a Lucasfilm property.

Edit: Boy, was I slow with that reply. So it's not a 'specific' IP, or a 'new' IP?

Where in that message does it say the mystery thing is a game? Maybe they're releasing a compendium of old concept art or something.

That's already been sort-of done, though, with the Rogue Leaders book.

Yeah, maybe it's just a new re-release of the Lucasarts back catalogue on digital distribution platforms. Or Lucasarts' own download store. Would be great to see those games on GOG.

It will be Full Throttle 2, and new desktop adventures

I swear, if they open some store where you can buy their old games, so help me, I'll buy every fucking thing they put up just to make a point. I'll buy Fate of Atlantis ONE MILLION TIMES!

Oh, it seems they're downplaying it now, so it'll probably be something averagely cool.

Aha! I feel as though it's precisely what you've predicted: The opportunity to buy the old games......... AGAIN! But this time they'll work on your new system.......... just like with ScummVM.

:hmph:

Nearly time to find out!

If it's old adventure games on the iPhone I'm going to slit my wrists.

Future Back-Catalog Announcements to be Made at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.

Subscribe today!

Back by Popular Demand, LOOM, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and

Star Wars Battlefront II Headline List of Games Soon to be Available via Direct

Download!

LucasArts Continues Initiative to Revive Classic Gaming Titles

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – July 6, 2009 – Fans have asked and LucasArts has

delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its

classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as

digital downloads online.

In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made

available Wednesday, July 8 on Steam®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management

platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and

The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic

Commando.

The complete list of games to be released on July 8 via Steam includes:

• Armed and Dangerous™

• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis

• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure

• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure

• LOOM™

• Star Wars Battlefront® II

• Star Wars Republic Commando®

• Star Wars Starfighter™

• The Dig®

• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

“This effort is going to make it possible to introduce a whole new generation of gamers to

LucasArts’ classic games,” said Darrell Rodriguez, president of LucasArts. “It also gives

more people a chance to play our games by making them available long after they’ve

disappeared from store shelves. We hope our fans are as excited as we are about our

plans and we can’t wait to share what’s coming next. This is just the beginning.”

This series of launches continues LucasArts’ new mission to revitalize its deep portfolio

of beloved gaming franchises.

LucasArts previously announced the return of the classic Monkey Island® franchise with

two new projects due to be released in the near future. Tomorrow, July 7, Telltale will

premiere the Tales of Monkey Island® game series on PC, delivering a completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes. The

first Tales of Monkey Island chapter is expected to release for WiiWare™ in the coming

weeks as well.

The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The

Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first

game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical

score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990. The

Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be made available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade

for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PC via

Steam and other online distribution channels.

Future announcements about the re-release of LucasArts’ back catalog titles will be made

through LucasArts’ Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames.

Well, I'm opening my wallet right now.

Goddamn. Buying Armed & Dangerous, both Indys, LOOM, Starfighter, and the Dig. Like, as soon as I get home from work.

They make me puke, you make me puke... everybody just gets me vomitting these days... You already own the games, you bought a licence for them and what are you going to do ? Pay again for something you already own ?

They ask to fuck you in the ass again and again and you deliver, bravo...

Hack the fucking games ! Pirate them for fuck's sake, you bought them 10 years ago why are you even?... AAAARRH I'm so angry at this !

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sweet. I'm glad they're going for that, I hope it pays off!

Is there any bonus or benefit in getting these on Steam? I've got a few of the adventure games that I play through SCUMMVM (most of them, actually, not The Dig, though). GOG throw in extra material like scanned manuals, soundtracks, etc - do Steam do anything like that?

I know, I'm coming off like an idiot. I've not logged into Steam since installing Half Life 2 on Christmas Day 2004. Apparently it's changed since then (understatement).

Not sure I'm jumping for anything just yet. Always wanted to try out Battlefront. Once X-Wing or TIE Fighter are up there, though..! Couldn't get them to work with DosBox.

They make me puke, you make me puke... everybody just gets me vomitting these days... You already own the games, you bought a licence for them and what are you going to do ? Pay again for something you already own ?

Hack the fucking games ! Pirate them for fuck's sake, you bought them 10 years ago why are you even?... AAAARRH I'm so angry at this !

Hm. No-one is forcing you to buy these.

There's even a small chance that you will be able to enter your old serial numbers in order to get the new download versions (a very small chance, but it happens sometimes).

What? If you already have the games then by all means play them. If you don't now they're avaliabe to buy again.

What exactly do you have a problem with?

Anyway, The Dig is a really odd choice, I was under the impression that it was one of the least liked LA adventures. Am I wrong on that?

Loom is the cat's pajamas though. It would be so sweet if they released the FM Towns version.

*Harble garble*

Hahaha jesus christ man, is this a joke? :blink: You sound like THE internet "guy", the one who can't appreciate a good thing and decides that anyone who can appreciate it is a horrible subhuman beast who likes to get fucked in the ass. Well done, good sir, keep fighting the good fight so that we can learn from your shining example.

This is great news, I've been trying to hunt down old adventure games I missed out on in my formative years and now I can do so from the comfort of my own home! Alright! Now the only challenge is figuring out what order to play them in. Chronologically makes the most sense, and should provide a decent frame of reference for a relative newcomer methinks...

Awesome news for 1990s born idiots like me who couldn't play them before. If the price is right I'll grab Fate of Atlantis.