toblix

La Celle Splintereux: Conviçion

I just watched this video on Shacknews, the latest behind the scenes thingie from whatever Frenchmen are making this game. After a couple of minutes I had already planned this post, the core points of which were going to be:

1. This is the kind of typical promotional video that's the antithesis of the Japanese style I was trying to explain in this other thread. It's all meaningless bullshit about fucking "pushing the genre" or whatever.
  2. It's stupid how over-produced these things have become. Instead of just showing cool stuff and telling what it is they're making, they do a Hollywood-style production in an abadoned warehouse with nerdy lighting effects.

However, after watching the entire thing, I got more excited about these things:

1. They have the same function that Desperados had, which lets you "tag" people just by looking at them and hitting the right bumper. Then, when you're positioned you hit Y and then Sam just fucking shoots everyone in the face.
  2. They have an indicator for Sam's last known position, which I've missed in every stealth game I've ever played. Finally, the enemy will believe you're where they last saw you, and act accordingly. This (probably) lets you do awesome ambushes and shoot dudes from behind.

In conclusion: This looks awesome, even though it's a bit worrying that everyone's French.

This is the kind of typical promotional video that's the antithesis of the Japanese style I was trying to explain in this other thread. It's all meaningless bullshit about fucking "pushing the genre" or whatever.

They are moving the genre, I don't know if that's pushing or pulling but it indeed looks like a different game, not as much as they 'd like but still...

It's stupid how over-produced these things have become. Instead of just showing cool stuff and telling what it is they're making, they do a Hollywood-style production in an abadoned warehouse with nerdy lighting effects.

Thing is, most big game companies have a video team now to make behind the scenes so when they make one they try to make it right. Now for the names on walls it's because the games does that : projecting objectives and texts on walls so it's pretty fun to me that they did the same in the video with a projector.

They have the same function that Desperados had, which lets you "tag" people just by looking at them and hitting the right bumper. Then, when you're positioned you hit Y and then Sam just fucking shoots everyone in the face.

Remo once said about Lara Croft "Because of course SHE would know how far she can jump". I found it to apply to a lot of games, when you're a fucking killer agent that served for 20 years you shouldn't really miss your target especially if you know where the guys are.

They have an indicator for Sam's last known position, which I've missed in every stealth game I've ever played. Finally, the enemy will believe you're where they last saw you, and act accordingly. This (probably) lets you do awesome ambushes and shoot dudes from behind.

What they are not telling you is that it's what a lot of games already do, what they don't is that you me or anybody would kind of forsee that our target might be moving. And when you see the guy leaning over to check if sam's here without even having his weapon raised, you should worry a bit about how easy it'll be to trick them

They are moving the genre, I don't know if that's pushing or pulling but it indeed looks like a different game, not as much as they 'd like but still...
I was just pointing out how this is a typical term in these kinds of videos, and they really don't mean anything -- they added some new features.
Thing is, most big game companies have a video team now to make behind the scenes so when they make one they try to make it right.
I'd prefer they cut all the bullshit and get right to the interesting parts. Now i just know that, for every one of these videos, I'll have to fast forward about half-way before they say something concrete about what I can expect from the game.
Now for the names on walls it's because the games does that : projecting objectives and texts on walls so it's pretty fun to me that they did the same in the video with a projector.
Nicely spotted! I also remember that too, as well, and in that context it's actually pretty cool. They don't show any of that in the video, though, which they should, because it's pretty cool.
Remo once said about Lara Croft "Because of course SHE would know how far she can jump". I found it to apply to a lot of games, when you're a fucking killer agent that served for 20 years you shouldn't really miss your target especially if you know where the guys are.
Yeah, but you can say that about everything, can't you? Why would Sam Fisher need our help with anything in the game, even where to go in the level and which enemies to attack? Surely he would know better how to go about it. I agree there's a limit where you'd expect something to always work, but I don't think it's fair to expect an action game that's very much about aiming and shooting to do that for you.
What they are not telling you is that it's what a lot of games already do
Obviously, but with this now being made so explicit, it's much easier to play off it than trying to interpret the AI guys. It also reduces their ability to "cheat".
And when you see the guy leaning over to check if sam's here without even having his weapon raised, you should worry a bit about how easy it'll be to trick them
I'm hoping it will be easy to trick them. I like these games when I can be an invisible, silent death appearing from dark corners. Hopefully I'll be able to play this game more like I did Commandos/Desperados.

one of those guys in that movies said he was blown away, he didn't look like it though

Wait, what? We've actually got one of the developers of Splinter Cell 5 on the forums? At least, I gather such from Codemonkey's post.

If so, hi developers of Splinter Cell! The game is looking pretty good and I love the way story objectives and story itself is superimposed on the landscape and scenery. Hope you make something great of it! I'll be watching ;)

So please buy the game

Oh, there's not much anyone can do to prevent me from buying the next Splinter Cell game. Especially now that it seems there are some awesome new features. But, are we understanding you right in that you're involved with the game somehow?

Yeah, but you can say that about everything, can't you? Why would Sam Fisher need our help with anything in the game, even where to go in the level and which enemies to attack? Surely he would know better how to go about it. I agree there's a limit where you'd expect something to always work, but I don't think it's fair to expect an action game that's very much about aiming and shooting to do that for you.

I think the important distinction to make here is that it seems like you have to earn the ability to "quick-kill" guys, if you look closely at the video you can see the red dots that are used for those kills only appear after taking enemies out the old fashioned way. I was skeptical about the "red-dot" system until this became apparent, now I'm looking forward to a nice balance of challenge and badassery.

I haven't paid attention to it until now, thanks for posting that video toblix.

Stealth action is my secret fetish, but I got annoyed when MGS4 disappeared up its own arse from the halfway point and forgot how good a sneaking game it actually was. Splinter Cell hasn't been my thing in the past, mainly because I sucked badly at it, but I'm getting a semi just thinking about how good Conviction could be.

Franchement il a l'air vraiment énorme votre jeu, il faudra juste faite attention à la narration graphique, en particulier la tension comme je le disais, l'ennemi qui s'approche de ma cachette sans même avoir l'arme au clair j'y crois pas trop. Éventuellement coordoner l'IA pour qu'ils s'approchent tous genre "on va lui tomber sur le lard comme des batards" ^.^

Mais effectivement, le délire de la typo cinétique est impressionnant... Enfin vous avez Hocking (et je sais plus qui qui avait écrit l'article "Designing Multiplayer Maps") sous la main... Je vois même pas pourquoi je vous donne des conseils, moi aussi j'achèterai le jeu ;D

I think I can translate guys:

"video games"

Franchement il a l'air vraiment énorme votre jeu, il faudra juste faite attention à la narration graphique, en particulier la tension comme je le disais, l'ennemi qui s'approche de ma cachette sans même avoir l'arme au clair j'y crois pas trop. Éventuellement coordoner l'IA pour qu'ils s'approchent tous genre "on va lui tomber sur le lard comme des batards" ^.^

Mais effectivement, le délire de la typo cinétique est impressionnant... Enfin vous avez Hocking (et je sais plus qui qui avait écrit l'article "Designing Multiplayer Maps") sous la main... Je vois même pas pourquoi je vous donne des conseils, moi aussi j'achèterai le jeu ;D

Stand back, I'll translate:

Expanding on this enormously popular game franchise, we'll have to pay equal attention to the story, the graphics and especially the tension of the disease. For example, the enemy will approach toilets not remembering his arms because it's so hot. After a while he will coordinate for (money?). We approach the genre saying "on our tombstones will be the come of bastards!"

But efficacy, the delirium of the typing error in the movie is impressive... Even with Hocking (and I say this with very criticism of the article "Le Designement avéc le Jouexment Locale de Participerentes Multiples" ) for the main. I remember not purveying the (hidden lady?), but I also [something] the game ;D

Wait, what? We've actually got one of the developers of Splinter Cell 5 on the forums? At least, I gather such from Codemonkey's post.

I wondered that too. Kind of inferred eh?

I like how you translated "Designing Multiplayer Maps" back into French.

Even with Hocking (and I say this with very criticism of the article "Le Designement avéc le Jouexment Locale de Participerentes Multiples" ) for the main.

Hahahahaha! Oh god, stop. I declare toblix the winner of this thread. :yep::yep::yep:

Not bad Toblix here was the real meaning:

Frankly your game looks epic, you'll just have to watch out for the tension in graphical narration (ie : the way the stuff that happens on the screen tell a story). As I said, the enemy approaching my hiding place without even having his weapon at the ready is not really a thing i'd find believable. You could eventually coordinate the AIs for them to go "gather'round guys, we're gonna kick that bastard's ass" ^.^

Indeed the kinetic typo thingy is impressive... Well... You have Hocking (and the other guy, I don't remember his name who wrote "la conception des cartes multijoueur") at hand... I don't even see why I'm giving you advices, I'll buy the game anyway.

Oh, there's not much anyone can do to prevent me from buying the next Splinter Cell game. Especially now that it seems there are some awesome new features. But, are we understanding you right in that you're involved with the game somehow?

I completely agree, I have loved every splinter cell game I have played, however I skipped the 360 version of Double Agent, instead playing the far superior original Xbox version (which the Montreal studio made). I would really hope that there is a way to play in either the old way as well as the excelllent looking new way.

Is it only going to be on the 360? If so :( I have one but I don't ENJOY having one.

I believe it will also be on PC.

J'aime les croissants, du fromage et des baguettes.

Is that enough ?

Nope, ther's a fault in there...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-splinter-cell/56471

I knew that they were making the take-down moves a bit faster and to-the-point in this game but I didn't realize just how brutal they made Sam. They seem to be using his in-game actions as a way to convey his mental state. What do you guys think of the new Sam? Will you be comfortable playing a character like this?