Chris

The Idle Thumbs Downloadable Content Thread

All that stuff we say we'll link and then never do

"The Idle Thumbs Downloadable Content Thread"

In this thread we will hopefully keep a record of the things we promise to link, with a casual "Oh yeah we'll toss that up on the Idle Forums," before proceeding to completely wipe it from our memory.

I don't yet know what format this will be in; for now I'll plan to just edit this initial post on a per-episode basis. Here we go.

Idle Thumbs 40: Idle Thumbs 40,000 (Nobody Beats the Blizz)

Barboo and RemoC

On the front page can be found a tiny screenshot of Nick and Chris playing Diablo III and trading a few well-worn Thumbisms.

Crazy EVE Online Blog Report

Amazing regulation-spurred population decimation.

Our Friends in Wisconsin

Charming photos from Wisconsin friends!

- Many puffins on an island

- Lighthouse and smiles

Idle Thumbs 37: You Gotta Have Spice

Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta Screenshots

This attractive screenshot gallery is largely what got me to pick up the Mothership Zeta content for Fallout 3.

Wisest Wizard

This apparently-real drinking game was mentioned during reader mail. It looks much more complicated than the kind of thing you usually want to do while getting drunk.

Idle Thumbs 35: A Great Way to Have Fun

The Food News

As discussed during the reader mail section, we were sent photographic evidence of Guitar Hero Fruit Rolls: Strawberry Whammy, along with this baffling email. Peruse these links and come to your own conclusions!

The Game Conference Game

This episode was adorned with a delightful audio clip. As I failed to completely remember during recording, it is called The Game Conference Game, and is entirely a roguelike, and not a text adventure at all.

GDC: The Game

...Because the text adventure with which I was muddling up The Game Conference Game in my mind is GDC: The Game, a completely different creation by Jim Munroe. You can also download its Z-machine file, if you're into the IF thing.

Idle Thumbs 34: The First Age of Extreme

Soren Johnson on Civilization IV

In this week's cast, Nick referenced these Stanford lecture slides by Civilization IV lead designer Soren Johnson, and Chris referenced this PDF manual, which includes footnotes by Johnson about the design changes from Civ III to Civ

IV.

California Extreme

A small selection of the arcade wonders referenced on the show:

- Far Cry Instincts: Paradise Lost

- The Pinball Device

- Amusing Educational Telequiz: The cabinet

- Amusing Educational Telequiz: The best question

Zangief vs. Sakura

This

was referenced, and should be immediately watched.

Hearts of Iron III Developer Diaries

Marc Pane 3 wrote in last week about Hearts of Iron III, and after we failed to respond in any remotely useful way, he provided a link to these informative developer diaries.

The Wizard

Yes, The Wizard.

Idle Thumbs 33: "The Kane of Lynch" or "This Crazy Robot" or "Rock the Mouse"

Civilization IV

Nick, as described, becomes the subject of a worldwide religious crusade:

nick_wardeclared.jpg

The Longest Lumines

The thrilling, and abrupt, conclusion to my horrible, epic game of Lumines: http://bit.ly/EvkDT

Idle Thumbs 32: The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of

Trine

Here is the Trine preorder and demo page on Steam. On the show, Nick and Chris described co-op in the demo.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

This raucous and extensively-named BASE jumping game can be preordered or demoed here. We recommend you do at least one of those two things.

Idle Thumbs 31: The Future of Games

Critical-Gaming Pikmin Course

Richard Terrell wrote in with this extremely formidable series on the excellent Pikmin games -- particularly in the context of RTS design and dynamics.

Part 1 is here; the rest can be found in the archives.

The Horrible Email

The name says it all, really. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Look At That Horse

This miraculous video was referenced in this episode. It's an internet classic.

Idle News Podblast - 06/18/09: With Cheese Plate

It Will Please You, With a Depth That Might Surprise You

This

, from the always-excellent Jarosh Barksdale, was referenced in this blast.

Idle Thumbs 30: Idle Thumbs E30

Nick's Revolting Yoshi's Island Ad

. How this could ever have been considered effective marketing for a game as adorable as Yoshi's Island is beyond me.

Bonus Revolting Ad

Reader Tim Walker wrote in with this

. It's not the one Nick was referencing, and it's not quite as sickening, but you might enjoy it. And by "enjoy it," I mean "vomit."

That's all I can recall off the top of my head for the last few episodes. Please reply to this thread if there was something from an older podcast (or these) that we mentioned and then never followed through on, and I'll add it here.

Edited by Chris

Finally, awesome! :tup:

The last two video links are the same, by the way.

The last two video links are the same, by the way.

Indeed, and the last two video links are the same, by the way.

I don't know if the email was that bad.

You should have read it out in a funny voice, like Sincerely These Nuts.

You should have read it out in a funny voice, like Sincerely These Nuts.

But it doesn't work if it isn't sincere.

omg.. that second video has ign.com written all over it

Updated for episode 32. Let me know if I missed anything.

I think there were some emails or attachments you promised to post in the older episodes. Like the Singstar: Idle Thumbs picture with "WIZAAAAARD!" in lyrics.

I think something like that existed..

Anyone have that crazy, surreal Mario corruption video that the guys were talking about a few weeks back?

In reference to your PS3 mysteriously turning on, Chris, do you have the network wake setting turned on? I find that if I have that on, it just turns itself on all the time. It would seem my network has a load of wake signals flying around it or something. It's a bit irritating, because in theory being able to turn on and operate my PS3 by Remote Play when I'm not even in the house could be cool (even though I'd never do it). I'm no expert on these matters, but I suspect it might have something to my multi-router setup (well, one router is acting as a switch, but it confuses things somewhat, particularly since they're different brands, meaning the interfaces are different and don't have the exact same functionality).

Creepy Mario 64:

Wow. That thing's up to 25000 views now? I remember when it was a little "three digit view" baby. *sniff* :getmecoat

In reference to your PS3 mysteriously turning on, Chris, do you have the network wake setting turned on? I find that if I have that on, it just turns itself on all the time. It would seem my network has a load of wake signals flying around it or something. It's a bit irritating, because in theory being able to turn on and operate my PS3 by Remote Play when I'm not even in the house could be cool (even though I'd never do it). I'm no expert on these matters, but I suspect it might have something to my multi-router setup (well, one router is acting as a switch, but it confuses things somewhat, particularly since they're different brands, meaning the interfaces are different and don't have the exact same functionality).

Interesting! I'll check that out.

How about the pic where Jake or Nick looks like Big Bird ?

I never managed to find it

You mean this one?

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=1&messageId=5518fa31-3098-4f20-9452-ed40bc2da6bf&Aux=44|0|8CBA084FBD93510|

You mean this one?

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=1&messageId=5518fa31-3098-4f20-9452-ed40bc2da6bf&Aux=44|0|8CBA084FBD93510|

Could you both stop being funny and like... post the picture ? :)