Erkki

Suggest names for a virtual currency

If you google "bank of happiness" you may find that some crazy Estonians are starting such a thing. Somehow I got involved in it and I was thinking maybe you bright minds could help with something.

The basic idea is that people help each other and are awarded virtual currency for their good deeds. And this is powered by some IT system that is similar to social networking sites, but people can only appear under their real names (only the first name is visible to strangers).

I just got involved and noticed the current suggested English translations are kind of sucky, naming the currency "Star of Thanks". This is a direct translation, in Estonian it's "tänutäht" from "tänutäheks" which roughly translates to "for thanks". tänu = thanks, täht = star

How would you name such a currency in English? I thought of these:

ex gratia. although this might be confusing as something called "ex gratia payment" is an entirely different thing.

thanknote (vs. banknote)

thank star (just a slightly better version of the "star of thanks" imho)

Make a good suggestion, and an entire nation (and tomorrow, the world!) might start using the currency you named. :)

(I should note I'm not the one who decides this, i'm just trying to come up with a better suggestion for the translation)

Why not just credits? To give someone credit means to acknowledge them for their work, as in film credits, and also has financial connotations.

Could sound a bit boring and generic though.

Just 'gratia' would work. That'll cost 200 gratias etc

Or

Thanyoo (pl. thanyoos)

Chirz (from 'cheers')

Take some inspiration from existing alternative currencies. Maybe something that shows the time and effort folk put in... Time Stars perhaps?

"children your allowed to shag without going to hell"

e.g.

"Well thanks that was a really nice deed you've earned 3 children you're allowed to shag without going to hell"

'kudos'

Thinking over it again, gratia sounds a tad too much like gratis, meaning free, which makes it sound like it has no value. It's still pretty good though.

Gratits might be better then, an abreviation of 'gratitude'.

Gratits might be better then, an abreviation of 'gratitude'.

Sounds a bit like 'great-tits' though...

Thanks everyone! I forwarded all the suggestions, personally liked gratia the

most, but almost everyone liked thanknote and it seems it was decided to go with that.