toblix

911 Call Transcripts

Op OK, so you haven't actually got the arm with you?

SF No, no ... It's just up the road, though.

Holy. Shit.

I would never be able to cope with being one of those operators; I feel sick just reading that. Good to know video games haven't completely desensitised me yet I suppose.

112 is the standard emergency number. In the US it is simply remapped to 911 for the land lines.

112 is actually a magic number in the GSM standard (and everything that extended from it). So, if you have a GSM in the UK and you enter 112 the provider you are using at that moment knows you want to connect to.

Another fun fact is that just 99 connects to the emergency services too. The reason is that in most offices and the like you need to dial 9 for an outside line, but in an emergency people would get flustered and forget to add the extra 9.

Sorry, doesn't anyone else find the amputation one funny?

SF: Er, I don't know, no. [To John] Where's the arm?

Op: Do you know where the arm is? [John says something in the background]

SF: Er, I don't know, it's, it's down the back of the garden

Op: OK, so you haven't actually got the arm with you?

SF: No, no ... It's just up the road, though.

Maybe it's because I've got a dark sense of humour.

I somehow get the feeling he may laugh later at it, you act sort of silly and say weird stuff in a panicked state of mind.

I was in a major car accident a few months back where I was at the end of some crazy driver smashing 4 cars along the freeway coming home from work, and I ended up ricocheting from the last car into the concrete wall on the side, completely totalling the front end of my car, the windshield and wheels.

I thought I was dead and got out of the car very confused as everyone who had stopped was asking me if I was okay or was hurt. I wasn't hearing them well and sort of ignored them and went back into my car to get my lunch kit and the Zelda Collector's Edition for Gamecube that I remembered I had left under my seat before they towed my car away.

Also the little boy who called for his mom seemed like he was just charming the operator. Made me smile.