Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Wrath of the Lich King

Yeah I enjoyed Howling Fjord, despite the slightly slow start. Borean Tundra, the other starting area (accessible by zeppelin from Orgrimmar) is much uglier. And yes fun to see the borderline-evil Forsaken back in the picture. Dragonblight, the next area after those two, is turning out to be even better!

There is no way you can resist its powers!

I'm in the same place, I'm just making sure I only play it kinda casually, I'm ignoring tradeskills and not obsessing over gear or anything, and just enjoying northrend for the gaming aspects, some of the stuff they've done there so far is incredible!

especially after that horrible hike through outland again with my DK ugh fuck you outland.

I've been resisting WoW since the very first day it came out... given that I can get pretty obsessive with most games, let alone ones designed to encourage it.

Still enjoying the game very much. I got to Dalaran, which is pretty cool. Much better than Shattrath was. Lots of ways to waste your gold pieces as well.

However, I am recently reminded that I fucking hate PvP servers. Ahhg. Seriously. The most annoying thing is how much I let it get to me. Sometimes I really really really want to pull a Jay and Silent Bob and hunt down the little pricks in the flesh and beat their stupid faces in. That is the literal truth. This is not a healthy thing. Someone needs to start some kind of anger management/victims of ganking therapy group.

20 Euros can get you migrated to PvE! I considered the very same thing at one point, but decided against it because I never really get ganked all the time, just on a few occasions. I don't know how things will fare once I reach the level cap. Maybe at that point it'll be hellish with the entire host of end-level characters running around in the same few areas looking for sport. I fear it already.

However, I am recently reminded that I fucking hate PvP servers. Ahhg. Seriously. The most annoying thing is how much I let it get to me. Sometimes I really really really want to pull a Jay and Silent Bob and hunt down the little pricks in the flesh and beat their stupid faces in. That is the literal truth. This is not a healthy thing. Someone needs to start some kind of anger management/victims of ganking therapy group.

It's because u are a rogue, rogues used to gank the fuck out everyone back in the classic days, so lots of people have a very strong hatred of them, so if they see one un-stealthed in combat they're going to let them know what they think of you, esp as it won' take that long (my rogue was the most ganked toon I ever had, STV was so painful with him). Also you tend to pvp while questing, so people get nuased and get alts or mates to get revenge, I'm much more peaceful than you so don't commence a circle of violence and am very rarely ganked.

I really like the anticipation of being on a PvP realm u have to really keep an eye for danger, and when someone of comparable power attacks you it can be great fun. It does suck when people of a much higher level attacks you or when you're virtually dead from questing, but both of these are very rare events for me.

Alas Rodi, our circle of WoW-ing freinds all play on the same PvP server, which is why we switched to it in the first place.

Also you tend to pvp while questing, so people get nuased and get alts or mates to get revenge, I'm much more peaceful than you so don't commence a circle of violence and am very rarely ganked.

I tried to explain this to you the other day. I used to be totally pacifist, stealthing past people so they never even knew I was there. Unfortunately I find that these days people attack me a lot more than they used to, which has really wound me up so I want retribution and my pacifism no longer seems to have any point.

Also the alliance on our server have a really annoying habit of having a top-level character babysit another that is levelling up. Seems like this happens 50% of the time. And a top-level guy can see through my stealth and will kill me without thinking about it. I mean why? He can one-shot me if I do start anything on his pussy little mate. His mere presence should be protection enough. But no he has to kill me and then lol at my corpse.

You are right about the rogue hatred though. I notice that gnome mages especially cannot resist taking a pop at me if they catch me in PvE. Obviously this in turn has given me a deep seated hatred of gnome mages. All gnomes in fact seem to played by cocky little cunts, but maybe that's just how their avatar comes across. Everyone hates gnomes it seems.

Anyway yes. WoW. i enjoyed the kvaldir quests based on The Fog.

I love playing on a PvP server. It's an added element to the gameplay that makes playing a little more exciting and involving.

If you get ganked in one place more than twice then move on to somewhere else for 30 mins, go and craft, play around at the AH and try make some money or whatever and just don't let it get to you.

The real secret to enjoying a PvP server though... Gank people yourself. I used to be quite the pacifist myself, opting never to fight unless the other person started it, but not fighting on a PvP server isn't going to earn you any sort of respect. Why not just play along?

Attack the next alliance you see that's within 1 or 2 levels either side of you, role play it in your head, you're Horde character would most likely attack that Ally. The more world PvP you do the more experience you'll get and the better you'll be at dealing with them when they jump you.

Most important, you don't have to feel any kind of guilt what so ever.

Firstly it's a PvP server - This is the excuse that will be given to you when you are ganked and it's 100% true.

Secondly you've been ganked numerous times - It's about time you got some revenge, those people ganked you and carried on with their lives so do the same to them. There's a chance that you're actually killing the alt of someone who ganked you in the past!

Just try and enjoy the fact that you can kill the enemy faction, you'll get Honorable Kills from it, Honor is useful, it's part of the game. Once you get to 80 there'll be no such thing as 'a higher level character' and gear only makes so much difference. If you go raiding then you'll be the one with the better gear.

Don't hold back, you're on a PvP server. Go and kill some people.

I get more pleasure out of the rare occasions when I can stand toe-to-toe with an alliant and just give each other a nod and a wave. This normally happens around neutral quest NPCs - although I have noticed more alliants now gank me while I am talking to such an NPC and then they run away never to be seen again. Fucking righteous of you fucking paladins.

Also fun is being thanked after actually saving an alliant from some mobs. That's cool.

But yes I am in a foul mood and have had a complete sense of humour failure over the above mentioned paladins and gnomes. I suck at PvP so my chances of defeating a paladin are minimal (it's not the bubble... it's the stun. It shouldn't happen to a rogue!) However, all gnome clothies should fucking beware this season :(:tdown::violin:

@Dan: Argh! Why do you enjoy helping the opposing faction so much? Did you forget which faction you chose to play when creating your character? Did you forget the entire story and history of the game?

I just get a little confused as to why you would help the enemy rather than find someone on the same faction to help. Is it out of pity because they were unfortunate enough to choose Alliance at character creation? Is it because most Alliance players are 12 year olds and you feel like they need help in the big scary world (of Warcraft)? Or is it simply because you wish you'd rolled Alliance in the first place?

I doubt those people you help will remember your name, they likely didn't attack you because they didn't think they could win. When they hit 80 and see you running about at level 78, they'll probably gank you, not knowing that you were the foolish Horde player that helped them get there.

The annoying thing is I almost understand on some level what you mean, because I've done it myself in the past. I admit that. It was just less hassle to not get into a ruck. Later on in BC I realised that it wasn't really the case and that by not fighting, you're just missing out on one aspect of the game and valuable experience with PvP.

Try rolling a healer and having that same perspective :P

Some of my favourite moments soloing have been when I have helped the opposing faction, on more than one occasion me and an alliance char have simultaneously helped each other with quests. The massive communication barrier is really pleasing to overcome.

Revenge isn't something I have any desire for in anything I do, and I hate self perpetuating circles ^_^ Having said that being ganked doesn't bother me beyond the instantaneous annoyance of having to corpse run, if some corpse camps though that's a whole other matter.

Also as far as story and history goes, the characters I play really have no reason to PvP indiscriminately and the Horde and alliance have various subgroups which co-operate and others that don't.

Yeah since Burning crusade, in fact since An'Qiraj, the storyline has had the Alliance and Horde working together more and more. The war barely exists any more, or at least has been put on hold.

And yes that 'language' barrier does add a certain charm to interacting with the opposing faction. Kind of like how Chris and Jake described LittleBigPlanet in the podcast- dealing with random people who can actually express themselves through words is often disappointing. Emotes alone feel more pure and 'in-character'.

Besides it's not like I help them very often. Part of the appeal is how rarely it actually happens. When worlds collide and all that.

Anyway I have calmed down a bit now and last night I was playing with an 'appropriate' level of PvP-ing.

Current pet hate: Death Knights with names like 'Deathtauren". Although frankly I have always had large levels of disdain for poor character names. Can't be bothered to think up a name because you are just playing for the social and meta-game? Fine, but I'm still going to ridicule you.

Try rolling a healer and having that same perspective :P

You're a priest, you have mind control. Nothing more really needs to be said other than you can cause them additional pain by giving them a repair bill on top of their corpse run. :P

OH MAN.

I just reached the end of the main questchain in Dragonblight, where the Horde and Alliance finally assault the Wrathgate.

Holy shit that stuff is epic!

At first I was like "Huh. Cool". then I was "Whoa" and then I was like "WHOAH!" and then I was like "Holy crap" and then I was all "ahhhg!" and then I was "man that was cool". Then I was "cry". Then suddenly I was "ohbutwait-theresmore?" so then I was "crazy!" followed by "this is gonna ROCK". Then I went in and was like "oops" and so I waited and then I go "CHAAARRRRGE" and and and and then we all went hooray and then damn and then it was all over.

So yeah. Blizzard are in fact pushing quite a few boundries here, and trying out new stuff for their MMO design. They are using the open world instancing more than I expected and it works great. It allows them to get a lot more plot development in there. yes PLOT! Those people that complain that nothing actually happens in MMOs may have to reasses in the near future.

My only sadness is that I wasn't with my homies when it all went down, and I don't think you can replay open world instancing with the same character. Hurry up slowpokes!

Edited by DanJW