miffy495

Dead Space

There was some introductory Zero-G in Chapter 2 also. Anyway, I found a thing that annoys the hell out of me. I just activated the gravity centrifuge, and I'm supposed to avoid the rotating arm, which is fair enough (although it would be a hell of a lot easier without the terrible camera), but when I'm hit by it it has to reload the checkpoint like some late 90s game. So, every time I slip up and get smashed into a pulp in this timed puzzle I have to spend four minutes looking at the loading screen. That gets old so fast these days.

Yeah, I just activated the engine, and I think I've played this enough to decide it's not for me. It's not bad -- in fact it's very polished and fresh in many ways -- but it's just too... I don't know.

I finally had the chance to check Dead Space out on PC. I tried it actually today morning for a bit before I went to work.

Played just the beginning about to where the main character Isaac gets the first gun and gets to shoot stuff.

I wasn't that scared about anything so far, and the game does look cool and works nicely on my old computer, which is an important fact for me.

But I was really damn scared of something that happened during the gameplay. I got across the screen in the middle these weird artifacts and pixels running through. I quickly quit the game and the artifacts followed to Windows. I rebooted the computer and those artifacts and pixel shit disappeared.

What's going on? Does this mean my computer or some part of it at least is breaking down? How can I analyze this, I would presume I have to check the temperature levels first?

I finally had the chance to check Dead Space out on PC. I tried it actually today morning for a bit before I went to work.

Played just the beginning about to where the main character Isaac gets the first gun and gets to shoot stuff.

I wasn't that scared about anything so far, and the game does look cool and works nicely on my old computer, which is an important fact for me.

But I was really damn scared of something that happened during the gameplay. I got across the screen in the middle these weird artifacts and pixels running through. I quickly quit the game and the artifacts followed to Windows. I rebooted the computer and those artifacts and pixel shit disappeared.

What's going on? Does this mean my computer or some part of it at least is breaking down? How can I analyze this, I would presume I have to check the temperature levels first?

I guess you could try updating all your drivers first...

but I suspect your videocard is overheating. Get Rivatuner or any gpu temperature monitoring program of your choice and run the game until you see the artifacts again. If the temperature reaches upwards of 80 or 90°C, you might have a problem. Clean out all the dust, and if that doesn't help, try a better thermal grease for your gpu cooler (or get a better cooler).

If your gpu ISN'T overheating, you might have a bigger problem. bad ram maybe.

I have all the latest drivers, just recently did a fresh re-install of Windows etc.

I received a good heat checking program from a friend of mine and I will run some heat tests during the weekend.

Propably dust is the problem yes, I haven't done dust cleaning in quite some time inside the computer.

Thanks for the advices Jayel, these will be very helpful during my testing.

I love this game. It's one of the very, very few games I played through, and immediately started over and was so entertained that I played it to the end again.

I came from the opposite direction as the OP, I expected it to be System Shock 2, which it tries to be at times but overall is not. Maybe they just wanted some parts to be an homage to SS2, as this apparently started out as SS3. Still IMO it's more SS2-y than Bioshock. And it has enough unique elements to stand on it's own.

Also the visuals always deserve to be mentioned. If there was something like an oscar for video game visuals, this game should get it. Some parts were incredibly beautiful. I always enjoy rewatching sunshine for the visuals, and this game is the closest to that.

Tried it again today morning after waking up. This time no artifacts visible. I think it was the dust that caused the problem earlier.

Feels like a nice game, have to invest more time to this in the near future.

I played the first half hour or so of this game, and I have to say the controls and visuals, at least, are immediately gratifying. It felt good to move around and interact, and that's the first hurdle I usually have with any sort of action title.

That said, since its controls are so obviously reminiscent of Resident Evil 4, it's a bit of a shame that the atmosphere (at least this early on) is as generic as it is. Aside from a fairly awesome opening sequence (complete with solar flare,) the beginning has felt like a very by-the-books shooter, which is disappointing.

I'm still very early on in the game, though, obviously, so hopefully it gets more interesting.

I really should go back and pick this up again. As soon as Fallout 3 came out last fall, I just kind of forgot about Dead Space and haven't been back to it since. I really did enjoy the few chapters that I played.

Played it until chapter 2 now.

I'm thinking that I will see this through.

Also I want to test in about a week how it will work on SLI setup.

I'm doing some Christmas upgrading starting with the GPU.

This game scared the shit out of me I played it for half an hour and then uninstalled it for fear of having a heart attack. So ashamed.

I played the first half hour or so of this game, and I have to say the controls and visuals, at least, are immediately gratifying. It felt good to move around and interact, and that's the first hurdle I usually have with any sort of action title.

That said, since its controls are so obviously reminiscent of Resident Evil 4, it's a bit of a shame that the atmosphere (at least this early on) is as generic as it is. Aside from a fairly awesome opening sequence (complete with solar flare,) the beginning has felt like a very by-the-books shooter, which is disappointing.

I'm still very early on in the game, though, obviously, so hopefully it gets more interesting.

Thank God for Resident Evil 4, I say. I'll never forget how awesome playing that game felt the first time I put it in the Gamecube.

I see what you mean about the generic elements of the game, but it never bothered me. I didn't expect to enjoy Dead Space as much as I did. I really got into it, and started another playthrough as soon as I finished my first. I suppose it's a bit like enjoying a genre movie that sticks to tried and trusted techniques but does a really good job of it.

Dead space really rewards you for playing it on hard mode.

It switches genres and goes from shooter to survival horror.

I recall Tycho from PA said as much at the time.

I didn't know it was based on SS3 work, that makes sense in hindsight, but I'm glad they didn't release it as such.

I really enjoyed dead space.

I also really enjoyed Dead Space, not least for aesthetic reasons: the sound design was superb and I loved the look of the hangars. Also, the first

surprise tentacle

moment delighted me no end. It did get quite repetitive at times, though, and there are elements that seemed bizarre and out-of-place: the jedi powers Miffy mentioned make you feel like too much of a superman, and the zero-G basketball and shooting gallery minigames detract from the atmosphere somewhat. On the other hand, taken as a collection of small cool things, Dead Space has a lot of appeal. Most of it is cosmetic and incidental, like monitors turning to static as you approach them towards the end of the game. I love stuff like that. And of course the floating interface stuff.

Yeah, as I progress in the game, the aesthetics are growing on me. (I just finished Chapter 3.) What initially seemed like "warehouse in space" is becoming a more interesting and detailed environment.

It's also becoming more consistently scary as well, in a kind of tense "Oh god are they behind me? Where are they going to appear next?" kind of way. They really did nail down a lot of what was great about Resident Evil 4, in terms of feel and gameplay. (On the other hand, even early on in RE4, the player was treated to some incredible "spectacle" moments that Dead Space has yet to match.)

One other minor thing that's been bugging me - the plot/characters so far are shit. Things would feel a hell of a lot more tense if Kendra and Zach were anything more than the most obvious sci-fi horro cliches.

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned the asteroids bit? A friend of mine has just about rage quit this thing because of it... I've not played it myself, but I'm kind of surprised not to see anyone else mention it.

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned the asteroids bit? A friend of mine has just about rage quit this thing because of it... I've not played it myself, but I'm kind of surprised not to see anyone else mention it.

lots of people missed that you have two cannons, used by the left and right trigger. maybe that's the problem?

I had trouble with the asteroids as well, and I knew about both triggers.

It got a bit frustrating, but I really enjoyed the old-school feel to that whole section of the game.

Played until the 11th chapter now.

I can feel that I'm close to the end now.

I'll finish the game tomorrow.

It's been a good experience so far, I'm happy that I sacrificed time to play Dead Space. Next I need to put on my list the Wii Dead Space.