Wrestlevania

A real face-melter (or "Hayfever's a right b*st*rd!")

Anyone else mistakenly attempt to make use of yesterday's glorious weather and pay for it with a swollen, oozing visage before nightfall? ;(

Highest pollen count on record for more than a decade and muggins here knows nothing about it until 24hrs after the fact. I was outside not half-an-hour before my eyes suddenly went bone dry and started burning. By the time I'd abandoned Mrs V and the kids (to the charity walk we were all supposed to be doing) and gotten back indoors, my eyes were pouring with that sticky yellow-orange fluid that forms into scabs.

By 10pm my eyes had swollen so much that the bags under them were light purple. And when I woke up at 5am they'd glued themselves shut with their hateful secretions. I had to blindly feel my way to the sink, run a bowlful of warm water and the splash my face repeatedly to get them unstuck.

Utterly foul and completely pointless affliction, hayfever, but I've never had it quite as bad as I did yesterday. Anyone else suffering at the moment? I managed to see my doctor after work today and am now languishing in the merciful embrace of prescription eye care. £2 cheaper over the counter than on prescription, mind! :(

Had to wear my (admittedly gorgeous) new sunglasses all day at work, which I'm sure did little to impress the new girl who started this morning.

Bio-hacking, awesome. But no thanks!

Mine's not respiratory-based anyway; it's just my eyes that are affected by it.

I found this ...off-putting... But I resolved to go. I spent almost a thousand dollars on vaccinations (although for the worst and most lethal diseases there are no preventive measures you can take, except to avoid the vectors of the disease, such as mosquitos for malaria and filharzia) ... The highlights are malaria, dengue fever, river blindness, sleeping sickness, filharzia/elephantiasis, bilharzia (nasty!), rift valley fever, two varieties of hepatitis, cholera, typhoid and yellow fever. Filharzia is my least favorite, a mosquito born nematode (worm) that takes up residence in your lymphatic system and that if left untreated the worms proliferate and so clog your lymph system that your extremities swell with undrained lymph to produce elephantiasis. It is in incurable, but can be managed with treatment. I don't think I got it but I won't know until 2007.

Hahaha, brilliant. :~

I read the whole thing and... well, you just have to admire a man like that.

Someone I was with last night had crazy eye issues. I thought she was crying but it was apparently just hay fever, which seemed weird to me as I only normally associate it with boiling summer days. It was more like 10:30pm after we'd been indoors for about three hours. Clearly the pollen count was so high it was saturating the air even into the night.

Glad I don't have hayfever (touch wood). ¬

God man, reading about some of the diseases he mentioned like sleeping sickness (100% fatality rate if untreated and irreversible brain damage) and elephantiasis is pretty scary. Knowing such things are a bite away is unsettling, even if I can comfortably protected by distance.

Highlights how weak and shit I really am, regardless of our health care advances. ;(

Someone I was with last night had crazy eye issues. I thought she was crying but it was apparently just hay fever, which seemed weird to me as I only normally associate it with boiling summer days. It was more like 10:30pm after we'd been indoors for about three hours. Clearly the pollen count was so high it was saturating the air even into the night.

It can sometimes be worse in the evenings than during the day, as a lot of the finer pollen falls back to earth en masse as the air temperature drops.

I suffer the most early in the morning and late in the evening, which is why Sunday's sudden 11am-ish attack took me by surprise.

Mine's not respiratory-based anyway; it's just my eyes that are affected by it.

It should still work, as the hookworm modulates the autoimmune response of the entire body.

Alternatively, try goggles. Just tell people you are going for the Vin Diesel/Riddick look.

It should still work, as the hookworm modulates the autoimmune response of the entire body.

Alternatively, try goggles. Just tell people you are going for the Vin Diesel/Riddick look.

You jest, but after Sunday it's a very appealing solution. :hah:

More so than tramping through some nutter's mail order turd anyway...

Ugh, my throat's been killing me the last few days because I simple can't breathe through my mouth when I sleep. It's horrible, like half of it's missing or something. Not to mention having to eat a new Airwave every half hour.

You jest, but after Sunday it's a very appealing solution. :hah:

More so than tramping through some nutter's mail order turd anyway...

It's his reinfection process that gets me. Whether it's a new girlfriend ("What's this?" "A fishtank of my own shit") or the kids at school ("My dad has a tank full of poo"), it seems guaranteed to get him a local nutter reputation.

Eating local honey during winter/spring is meant to help build up one's resistance to hay-fever.

Maybe I'm being hit particularly high this year because I moved away to go to Uni then. It's not especially far but who knows?

Or, like Wrestle said, the high pollen count probably is a factor

Eating local honey during winter/spring is meant to help build up one's resistance to hay-fever.

I've done this year on year for about the last five; smearing it into my weeping eyes would probably be a more effective defense. :tdown:

Nice to eat honey on toast every morning though! :tup:

Seems to be very high again today. Slept with a couple of our bedroom's windows on the gap overnight and my eyes were somewhat puffed up again this morning. Not red though, mercifully, so no streaming orange gunk this time either.

I'm having to make fastidious use of my eye drops though.

What about taking a great big handful of pollen and repeatedly rubbing it into your eyes every hour for a week? Guaranteed to fix it!

I think this is only effective if you do it while young - rather like breastfeeding passes on crucial antibodies etc in the first few weeks of life.

rather like breastfeeding passes on crucial antibodies etc in the first few weeks of life.

Are you saying it's pointless for me to continue? :sad: