Marek

Planet Earth (BBC)

Let's have a thread about how amazingly incredible this documentary series is.

I heard about it quite a few times but only just watched the first episode. My jaw dropped/unhinged a bazillion times.

Also saw an episode of The Blue Planet (an earlier documentary by the same producers) with Spaff last week which basically had ... like ... Lord of the Rings style epicness except it's actually real animals living in nature in and around the sea. Completely pwned.

Yeah so watch that.

Yeah, I've been really psyched to see it but I figure that with the shots and nature of the series, Blu Ray would be the way to go. Thing is, it's $30 more for the BRD version compared to DVD. Worth the $100 price tag for the whole HD version, or should I just grab the $70 DVD sometime? That's really been all that's held me back. I can't decide how to watch it.

I've watched the blu-ray version and have to say it's worth it, absolutely stunning series that really takes advantage of HD. Beautiful.

But why the square head?

I got the standard DVD of Blue Planet two birthdays ago, and it's spectacular. I'm sure blu-ray helps with these documentaries, though.

Anyway, I haven't seen Planet Earth yet, but Blue Planet is incredible.

But why the square head?

What? I think I need this expression defined before I'll understand...

I'd definitely say Planet Earth is the best documentary series I've ever seen. It really does feel epic, and truly captivates you with its unbelievable footage (How did they even get some of that stuff?!) and soundtrack. David Attenborough's narration also adds a real charm, something they removed from the US version — should be illegal!

The concept of a nature documentary may sound boring, but it's really the absolute epitome of its kind. If there's only one nature documentary you watch between now and the day you die, I'd recommend you make sure it's Planet Earth.

I'd agree that the footage seems like it'd be amazing on Blu-ray, considering how many detailed slow-motion scenes there are. I wish it was around on Blu-ray back when I first experienced it.

The Blu-Ray version is definitely worth it; I watched the series with Alex and Lawrence and there were at least several instances in every episode when we were all genuinely amazed by the camera work/images captured.

"But why the square head...?" combined with Attenborough's love affair with the Arctic are just examples of the charming (and oddly affecting) script and the narrative consistency of the series respectively. It's not just about the visuals. Attenborough and Olivier... Gods of Narration.

I watched it when it was first shown in Finnish TV and I agree with you all - it was absolutely stunning. And they actually seem to start rebroadcasting it this week!

I think the series will be one of my first purchases when I finally manage to buy a Blu Ray player. Hell, they should be using Planet Earth to promote Blu Ray and HDTV in every electronics store everywhere.

For all the Blu-ray hype, Planet Earth is the only thing I've ever heard people reliably and repeatedly say is worth actually upgrading to Blu-ray for.

I'm tempted, but skint. Otherwise I might be swayed towards getting a PS3 just for this - it'd be an amazing thing to have for my kids, seeing as they love the couple of newspaper freebie Blue Planet DVDs we have kicking around at the moment.

Would need the dirty great HD telly to go with it, of course...

I've seen bits and pieces of Planet Earth, which was gorgeous, and I was also very much captivated by the spinoff movie Earth which ran in theatres recently. A bit toomuch emphasis on the eco message, perhaps, but beautiful footage galore :tup:

I almost never buy DVDs or CDs, and when I do they're usually for other people... but this on Blu Ray is tempting me.

It's amazing in high definition but the programs content itself is jaw dropping enough. That little montage at the beginning showing just a taste of what they'll be covering was something special. Highly recommended - some of the stuff you see in these documentaries is scary though, really show off your ignorance or at least it did for me!

It's going to be on Estonian TV starting from tomorrow, if you all say it's that good, I'll definitely watch it.

I eyed it up on blu ray until last Friday. Holy freaking shit, I've only watched the episode on mountains so far and this was totally worth £40.

It's being broadcas on Arte currently but the French voice over is excruciatingly boring.