ysbreker

audiosurf: Holy funk!

Bloody hell, why didn't anyone tell me about this gem? This game is awesome beyond believe. The idea is rather simple (like with most great games) You fly along a track and collect colored block and make combo's with them. The mindblowingly cool thing about this game is that you fly along the music track of your own choosing. The game analyzes the music you've selected and makes a level from it on the fly. It's all kinds of awesome!

get it from here and try it out at once! It's free!:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

I just found out that this actually is a demo and that you can only play a few of your own songs. But it's still awesomely cool.

Autechre was great on this. I might buy the full version when it gets released.

funny... although quite difficult, pick the right songs is the difficult part.

The demo was very fun (especially the weekend beta which ended on sunday, but allowed for unlimited mp3 play), and probably was the most fun I've had with a match-3 title in ages.

It was awesome, sort of. When the things matched up with the music in a meaningful way, it was awesome, and when things went really fast or slow with the music it was, but I guess the problem is that I don't really listen much to music where the beat or individual instruments are readily algorithmically detectable. Or whatever. Anyway, I've always said music should be distributed with all sorts of actual music metadata. Not just the artist and title and stuff, but like an actual MIDI-like track so that games like these could extract the exact tempo, tempo changes, special parts like build-ups, solos and so on.

It's out on Steam for $10.

I've played it for roughly 5 hours so far (if Steam data tracking is accurate). Casual difficulty is starting to feel a bit samey, although I haven't touched anything but mono mode (collect one color, dodge greys) on the higher difficulties yet. Still pretty addictive, though. Anyone else playing?

I've been playing it. Logged on to Steam for the first time in months to play it (add me: n0wak . Also invite me to the idle thumbs community!) it's fun with really frantic shit like Venetian Snares, but all that more out there music obviously has no one on the leaderboards. I guess that's the con of letting each level be any song in the history of the world.

We should pick an "idle thumbs official song" and use that for leaderboards :shifty:

I guess my biggest problem with it is that my music generates horrible levels. If any of you Elektropop Teknohaus people can name some official Idle Songs I'd be grateful.

I've bought it now. Luckily I have an immense amount of music to choose from. There are some control issues, some issues regarding resolution & monitor selection, but all in all I couldn't think of a better use for my 8€.

Has potential. I've only played the demo, briefly (3 tracks, Moby, Chemical Brothers and Yann Tiersen) and I liked what I saw. I've not a had a chance to soak it all in just yet though, and I'm worrying that it might get repetitive.

Still, 10 dollars?

:violin:

I'll probably be buying it pretty soon. Have a 40+ GB music collection, so I should have quite a few opportunities for some weirdness. I'm interested to see if the game can handle things like Peter Brotzmann's crazy mind-fuck jazz. I'll be loading in Machine Gun pretty much immediately after buying it. Anybody playing odd experimental music on there, or is it mostly bass driven stuff that works well?

Yeah, I am. Quirky tempo really adds difficulty to the game. The game can handle it, the question is can you.

Bah! I think my rhythm game track record will show that I can!

/needless cockiness.

Cool, glad to hear the game can pull it off competently. Now I'm pretty pumped for it. Stoked even. Dare I say... STOKED TO BE PUMPED???

I'll be loading in Machine Gun pretty much immediately after buying it. Anybody playing odd experimental music on there, or is it mostly bass driven stuff that works well?

YES! The challenge has been THROWN DOWN.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'd like to see how Audio Surf would handle

(or any kind of drone metal) or maybe even some

PS: Playing music from Rez is fun.

I think I'll give the demo a try. As for an Official Thumbs track, I would like to nominate A Crimson Rose and a Gin and Tonic, from the Katamari Damacy soundtrack.

You guys sure listen to some strange stuff :eek:

I personally wasn't completely convinced by the demo but I went ahead and bought it anyway and have to say the full version is much more appreciable. It just seemed to make more sense once everything was unlocked and I could fiddle to my hearts content - and at this price it's a steal.

One thing I don't understand about the white blocks - can you not chain them? I had about 5 in one running and it completely screwed up the rest of the track :(

We should pick an "idle thumbs official song" and use that for leaderboards

Should be something not too popular otherwise it's bound to get sodomised by everyone else :D

Holy crap, I played some Sunn O))) and it might be drone-y with no beat, but it was the most "notes" I've seen thrown my way in this game yet. Impressive.

And, as I said, playing Rez music works wonderfully!

As for song, here's one: http://www.symbionproject.com/ (bottom right button, download synthesized. It's from Amplitude so it feels oddly suitable. Also obscure enough to not have a cluttered leaderboard. Also, it's kinda hard.)

The game has seen some significant changes in the newest patch. There is a considerable performance increase, which I'm sure everyone will welcome. However, the decision to replace the graphics with a blank screen during the gameplay itself is a more controversial one. I'm sure purists will find this a wonderful challenge to be conquered, but the step up in difficulty simply too much. I can't but wish they had included this as a new difficulty setting rather than something which affects every mode of play in the game.

This remind me of the arcade game Ballistics. Even though you have no clue what you're doing (Ballistics, I mean) the adrenaline rush in incredible if you find the cabinet in an arcade somewhere.

Well, the update hasn't caused any problems for me beyond clearing the cache of existing generated levels and resetting my umm, settings. Not sure what that is all about but it wasn't a big deal.

On the other hand something called the tetris effect kinda is. Never heard of it before but someone on RPS alerted me to it as the reason for why I can't listen to my music without imagining playing it in audiosurf... kinda surreal, and very annoying :D

Still having a ball with it and have to say my fears of it getting repetitive have disapeared. It's not so much a game to me but a way to enjoy my music, although with the tetris effect it's becoming the only way to enjoy my music :shifty:

This remind me of the arcade game Ballistics. Even though you have no clue what you're doing (Ballistics, I mean) the adrenaline rush in incredible if you find the cabinet in an arcade somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistics_%28video_game%29

Are you talking about this game?

I remember playing the demo of this and wishing I'd played the full version. I wonder whether it's as fast as it felt it was back then.

Trying to "beat" the game by finding a track in my collection that has absolutely no other listings on the global leaderboards is proving very difficult. The closest I've come is "I Feel Like Going Home" by Yo La Tengo, which only had one other person on there. Other close calls (3 or fewer other names) were "Way of Living" by Beija Flor, "The Mending of the Gown" by Sunset Rubdown, and "Nantes" by Beirut. So help me, I'm going to have a leaderboard all to myself if it's the last thing I do. My music collection should be eclectic enough that there's one song in there no one else has played in Audiosurf...

EDIT: DAMMIT! Another one that only one other person played. "Puke+Cry" by Dinosaur Jr. Actually, a really fun song in the game too. If anyone has it, I'd recommend giving it a play.

...and off the same album ("Green Mind") the song "Hot Burrito #2" has given me a leaderboard all to myself. Personal achievement unlocked, now to see what happens with some spoken word Tom Waits or something. Nothing like trying to break a procedural game to make it even more fun.

EDIT AGAIN: And strangely Leonard Cohen's "Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On" (from "Death of a Ladies' Man") also gives me a leaderboard to myself. Damn you internets and your ignoring of Cohen!