Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Terry Pratchett has alzheimer's

I read most of the Death and City Watch ones years ago, and they're great. IIRC, the city watch ones kind of have the best of Ankh Morpork because they regularly run into its scumbags. The Death ones just have the best characters and situations.

It was around when Masquerade was published that I thought they were getting a bit repetitive and stopped reading them, but maybe I should go back and pick a few new ones.

Carpe Jugulum, the Witches book after Maskerade, is very different, almost harrowing in places. It marks another shift towards a darker and more political tone. Night Watch and Thud proved that the Watch books definitely aren't running out of steam either. In my opinion Pterry continues to get better and better over time - another reason why the bad news is, well, so bad.

i heart it! that rat is teh sex0rz

Yay!

I made it, along with the first version of that fansite, around ten years ago. Somehow that webspace still exists.:greatscott:

The way you said it, Dan, I expected that there had been significant advancements in the treatment of Alzheimer's. For anyone else that is excited about Dan's lies, let me summarise the links for you:

1. Information on how some scientists believe there may be a link between having a cold sore, and developing Alzheimer's.

2. Researchers are conducting what is believed to be the largest study yet of genes which cause Alzheimer's disease.

3. General information on Alzheimer's including a description of the disease and symptoms.

Well done Dan. Your lies and empty promises have ruined my night.

All findings into the causes and effects are good (or were you expecting a headline saying something like "ALZHEIMER'S CURED!!!!!!OMG")? Also, don't let my meagre 3 minutes of searching stand for the whole field. If you really want to know, go do some research yourself. Now stop hijacking this lovely thread about Pratchett.

I haven't heard of Terry Pratchett, apart from the fact that one of his books got turned into a game.

And also good to see someone not praising, not kissing the ass of J.K Rowling. She flat out lied that the latest Harry Potter book would be her last is absolute crud, she will publish more books just for more money.

I think at this point I've read all the Discworld books, with the exception of the weird spinoff illustrated books and the science ones (thanks to Thumbs staff on both sides of the Atlantic for constantly poking at me about them until I read two or three and then broke down and ordered the first half of the series in an epic Amazon order). This news sort of ruined my week, but it's good to see that Pratchett is taking it so well, or at least is putting forward something other than abject misery. ;(

As for where to start... I still sort of thing that people should damn the whole "recommended reading order" charts and crap and start from the beginning, because there is a surprising amount of universe-wide continuity from book to book (eg it's kind of cool to discover the reveal of various nations, or people like the Igor family, or the slow story of the rise of the clacks towers and the golems -- which leads to the industrial revolution/civic improvement series -- at the same time as the main characters in the book, instead of jumping into a story where that aspect of the world has become commonplace), but the complete weirdness of the first few books relative to the rest of the series means that you should probably just cave to the Internet and start with Small Gods or something. The Tiffany Aching books are also great. I think the first couple of those (The Wee Free Men and Hat Full of Sky) are two of Pratchett's best books. The amount of heart he put into those... and also just general awesomeness... is kind of off the charts.

I haven't heard of Terry Pratchett, apart from the fact that one of his books got turned into a game.

There are actually three adventure games set in Discworld: Discworld, Discworld II: Missing Presumed...!? and Discworld Noir. Well, in fact five if you count the two text games as well, but who counts them anyway.

I have only played Discworld II and Noir and neither of them is based in any one book. There are references to many of the Discworld novels, and it would probably be better to just say that they are set in Discworld universe.

Discworld II was one of the first point & click adventure games I have played, and I love it to death. I also wish my friend who I borrowed the game to and who scratched the disc so that it wouldn't work anymore was dead.

Hopefully ScummVM will one day support Discworld 1&2.