Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Terry Pratchett has alzheimer's

:\

He seems to be facing it with typical cheerfulness though. And Alzheimers is slowly becoming more treatable.

;(:bomb::frown: :\

Words fail me. Reading through Making Money right now. He's still a damn good author.

Not that I've read his books, but I enjoyed the audiobook of The Colour of Magic immensely.

Very sad to hear all the same.

Tried several, couldn't get into them.

Having one read to me by Tony Robinson was good though. But I don't have my own personal Tony Robinson for bed times, so I've not tried the analogue versions again since.

There's a big change in style and content between the early books and the later ones. Just in case you do want to try them again.

EDIT: if nothing else, you should read Small Gods. It's generally hailed as the most profound and the one most read by non-discworld fans

Arg, I knew there was a time at which some idol of mine would appear as mortal, but not this one. I hope he's still planning on writing the non-Discworld stories he mentioned a few times in the past few years.

I was thinking about that sort of stuff recently, Vimes. What happens when people I idolise start dying? omg. I need to write Gene Wilder a fan letter, NOW. Otherwise regret will drown my soul in years to come...

EDIT: er Dan's signature is in reference to my new monitor by the way...

EDIT: if nothing else, you should read Small Gods. It's generally hailed as the most profound and the one most read by non-discworld fans

Thanks for the tip.

I'm in the midst of The Dice Man at the moment, but this is going on the list as my next potential read.

So I can read discworld books in any order?

The first book is in my stack "to read" but I was not sure if I was able to jump from one book to an other in any order.

Yeah, you can read them in any order. Pretty much.

There are some books that follow certain groups of characters, and those ones have a natural order, but it is by no means mandatory.

They are:

The Rincewind Books

Colour of Magic

Light Fantastic

Sourcery

Eric

Interesting Times

The Last Continent

The Last Hero

(also the Science of Discworld books, kind of)

The Death Books

Mort

Reaper Man

Soul Music

Hogfather

Thief of Time

The Witches Books

Equal Rites (kind of)

Wyrd Sisters

Witches Abroad

Lords and Ladies

Maskerade

Carpe Jugulum

(also the Tiffany Aching series, kind of)

The City Watch Books

Guards! Guards!

Men at Arms

Feet of Clay

Jingo

The Fifth Elephant

Night Watch

Thud

The rest pretty much stand alone (although the latest, Making Money, follows on from Going Postal).

Man, I know far too much about Discworld.

That's what I said! :D

Interesting to see that they have classed the remaining novels into "industrial revolution". I guess that is kind of a running theme. And I've seen the "ancient civilisations" ones classed as the "Gods Novels" as well. Those groups have very little continuity though.

It should be noted that each series has its own tone as well, so people tend to have a favourite group. It may help you choose where you want to start.

The Death books are quite philosophical, as tend towards, guess what, contemplation of death and mortality and humans place in the world.

The Witches books tend to borrow from Shakespeare, as well as British folklore and rural life, and are about personal struggle, power, and doing what's right.

The Rincewind novels are about lampooning fantasy clichés, and also about travel to foreign cultures and the nature of heroism.

The City Watch books are based on Film Noire and detective stories, but are also about politics and how cities develop, and battling personal demons.

How sad. ;(

I like his style but have only read few books (namely, Reaper Man, Pyramids, Interesting Times, and half of Mort, which I didn't like that much). Seeing that there are way too many Discworld books for me to choose from, could you suggest some of them? I don't really care about the order that much. I kinda like Rincewind (probably because I got familiar with the series through Discworld 2 adventure game), but it doesn't have to be about him. Other areas of interest: gods, death, evilness, science. Not that keen on witches though.

(Faust) Eric sounds interesting. Is it any good? Also, what are those science novels like?

Thanks.

Going by Spaff's diagram and Dan's summing up (thanks, gents), I find the Death and City Watch series' immediately appealing.

I observed a bit of either Discworld adventure game when I was younger and liked the Death character in them.

Nappi, as with Wrestle, I recommend Small Gods. Eric is OK, but not my favourite of the Rincewind series. Since you've read Interesting Times it would perhaps make sense to carry on to Last Continent (especially if you like jokes about Australia).

The Science of Discworld books are, despite the title, actually about real science in our world. However they use the magic-based reality of Discworld as a means to compare and contrast with our physics based universe, and every other chapter is part of a discworld story that kind of illustrates the ideas. The first book is about the creation of the universe, the Earth, and Life. The Second book is about Human evolution and the rise of civilisation. And the third book is, I believe about Evolution in general.

Wrestle, I like all the books, obviously, but I think on the whole the City Watch series is the one I find the most... satisfying? Something like that. Sam Vimes is a great character. And Death has a cameo in every single book, I think.