miffy495

I shoot things with my Wii

Just looked into it. Oh my god. This has just shot from something I couldn't care less about to one of my most anticipated Wii titles in about 20 seconds. Hell yes.

Also, played another hour and a half of Director's Cut after work tonight. Turns out it's not harder. I'm actually dying far less. As in, I haven't died again yet. I've beaten all 5 bosses that I've fought so far without taking a hit. The trick is to max out the stats on one gun early rather than to buy all the guns at low levels. Also, shoot the motherfuckers in the head.

Lag, something that wasn't an issue during the regular story mode, is showing up a lot more in Director's Cut as well. I'm almost getting the feeling that the reason the "deleted scenes" were deleted was that they were too intense for the system to handle well. Throwing all those zombies at you at once with smoke effects and the like going on tends to make the poor little Wii chug a bit. Not enough to make it unplayable by any means, but enough to be noticeable when the camera is panning across a room and you need to hit a powerup. A few times I was positive I'd hit the damn thing, but the system stuttered and I lost that bonus-point and movie unlocking golden brain. Dammit.

A second playthrough is actually making me realize how much care the developers put into each of their levels. One standout thing I picked up on was that the level set in a hospital actually has some foreshadowing it it. The boss of that one has supernatural abilities, and going through a second time made me realize that blobs I figured were part of the film grain effect (which I bitched about for GTA: Lost and Damned, but actually works really well here) were actually the boss appearing to me early, almost like a real horror movie where you'd get brief flashes of the monster before the shit really goes down. Little details, damned impressive.

Lag, something that wasn't an issue during the regular story mode, is showing up a lot more in Director's Cut as well. I'm almost getting the feeling that the reason the "deleted scenes" were deleted was that they were too intense for the system to handle well.

That would be actually pretty fitting for a "Director's Cut" mode, since if that were the case it would be restored content--as opposed to how most video games treat New Game+ modes, which is to add content created expressly for that mode.

Now there's a thought. A Star Trek adventure/FPS...

I know this is ungodly late but hey, I just got here . . .

picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3

It's in my new SuperxXxWal-Mart that just went up. Not only FPS, but a light gun shooter.

Being a huge Voyager fan, I blew about $5 in quarters on it. Would like to see a TNG version though.

Just beat director's cut. Now have dual wield available. As I figured, the limited number of credits was a complete non-factor in this mode given how short the levels are. Despite the extreme ease of the game, highly recommended. Probably going to go back dual-wielding pretty soon as well. Maybe with extra zombie mode turned on. Fun times ahead!

Umbrella Chronicles has arrived! Though I have a paper due at midnight, I used a half hour-ish break to play through the first two levels. Initial thoughts:

Pros:

- Takes itself seriously, and actually seems to merit it.

- Lots and lots of things to find. Seriously. The "press z to pick up this item!" thing is always popping up. Shooting lightbulbs will occasionally even yield a document giving very detailed RE backstory.

- Guns, grenades, knife, etc all handled very well control-wise. Keeping the nunchuck available as part of the Zapper config was a good idea, letting you use the Z button as an action modifier and the C button to swap out your weapons. Well done.

- Reloading done by shaking the nunchuck. While this could have been a negative if I were using the Zapper (nunchuck and remote both locked into the same shell) rather than the Perfect Shot (nunchuck in your off hand, doesn't mess with aim), with the gun I am using it works great. I never need to move my reticule when I'm reloading, saving precious aiming time for zombie headshots.

Cons:

- Even on easy, I died on the first boss. Had some instant-revive First-Aid Spray (think: a fairy in a bottle in Zelda) so I still made it through the fight, but this seems much harder than I'd have expected. Still, I made it through the second level without incident, so maybe I just needed to adjust myself.

- No calibration screen. Seriously? What the fuck? Why not? It seems pretty well configured off the bat, but no option for fine-tuning the aiming controls exists. Really dumb move. Especially considering that the available competition (pretty much all Sega. HotD 2&3, HotD:O, Ghost Squad) has the option to configure your aim.

- The pacing feels a bit weird. Boss fights kinda come out of nowhere and there's little to no build up.

- Quick time events. Why? Sure, they worked (sorta) in RE4, but do we need them in rail shooters now too? Why not just go with the tried and true method of shooting a dude while he's building up his attack? Add in that the prompts to press the Z button and the B button look way too similar, and we have issues.

Fairly substantial list of pros and cons there, but this is only after 30 minutes, so don't take my word as gospel. It's really interesting for me to be seeing the story of RE played out from this angle. Especially as RE:0 is the one that I haven't played and the first one you go through in UC. The enemies are varied, which is nice. Slow zombies, fast mutant baboons, not-very-frightening-at-all leeches, and of course, the obligatory bats-that-fly-at-your-face-for-no-real-reason are all in attendance. As much as I loved the over the top silliness of House of the Dead, I'm also finding I quite like the serious storytelling of Umbrella Chronicles. It's still B movie stuff, but it's good enough to stand on its own without the gags, and I'm glad they're letting it. The on-rails camera actually fits the series incredibly well. It allows the game to build suspense at just the right moments by restricting your view. Sure, there are lots of cheap "boo!" moments as well, but that's what this genre is all about anyway.

Well, I've now killed another chunk of my writing time by making this post, so I should really get back to work. After all this light gun gaming fun the past month or so, I'm really stoked for Dead Space: Extraction. My only worry is that I can't think of another game in the genre that's been announced. What I really want is a Time Crisis for the Wii. You've got your gun. You've got a balance board for that thing you step on to duck. What more do you need?

Man, this thread is like almost becoming just a blog where I talk about light gun games. Does noone else play them? I'll shut up if that's the case...

In the meantime though, I'd just like to announce that I'm almost done my first playthrough of Umbrella Chronicles, and really enjoying it. This is why I'm so happy that this has been announced:

darkside_chronicles.jpg

Hells yes. Light gun goodness for the missing RE chapters that UC didn't cover. Psych-o-meter starting to fill up, and there's some shooty fun on the horizon beyond Dead Space. :woohoo:

Hey miffy I'm buying a wii from my friend this weekend and this thread was a big part of tickling my fancy to get one.

I'll probably only use it for the shooters and some boom blox and stuff but eh might as well.

Man, this thread is like almost becoming just a blog where I talk about light gun games. Does noone else play them? I'll shut up if that's the case...

I've been enjoying the thread (especially since I was out for like a year anyway). I currently only play the awesome Raving Rabbids levels, but am on the hunt for more (especially ones with good multiplayer). To sum up your work so far, Miffy, would you say HotD is your favorite?

It's a tough call given how much I'm enjoying Umbrella Chronicles right now. I'd say Overkill is probably the superior game, especially if you have a friend to play through with. It really depends what you're going in for though. If you're a fan of Resident Evil, UC is great. Lots of back and side-story. And as I'm discovering, genuinely fucking scary at times. It does a really good job (with me at least) of always keeping me about two swipes from death. Always panicking, looking out for the nearest green herb. Praising numerous gods when I find a can of first aid spray. Shooting out every light fixture in the hopes of finding some more ammo for that life saving automatic pistol. Really tense, great atmosphere. But does require an enjoyment of the franchise to really get into it.

Overkill on the other hand is just balls out fun, and I completely respect that. You just can't avoid loving a game where you blow the heads off of cartwheeling zombie clowns while riding a roller-coaster. The fact that I've now beaten it 3 times definitely speaks to my enjoyment of the game. Get it.

Umbrella Chronicles 2!! That is GREAT news. Are we going to see the Resident Evil 4 storyline? I'd love that.

Just reviving this thread yet again to announce that earlier this week I picked up Dead Space Extraction at a Boxing Week sale. I haven't popped it in the Wii yet (also got Rabbids Go Home, which I put into the Wii first and has been too damn fun to take out) but I fully intend to by the end of the week. Expect whatever I think about it to appear in the thread then. We've had so many new people lately, let's hear some rail shooter love from them?

PS: Also mail-ordered Darkside Chronicles. I guess two rail shooters in a year is pretty decent for the genre. Time to shoot up some dudes!

Some months ago we bought some crappy Cabela shooter game, which was a big mistake.

My wife likes Resident Evil and rail shooters so we've been thinking about buying one of the Resident Evil shooter games at some point.

Which one of those two is actually better?

Well, Darkside has yet to arrive, but I loved Umbrella Chronicles. I'll try to get some words about the sequel up when it gets here, but in the mean time UC isn't a bad choice by any means.

So, Sin&Punishment 2 got released in Europe.

Has anyone had the chance to play it?

I heard that in UK both S&P 2 and Monster Hunter Tri failed to make the top 20 sold games week chart.

PS. I bought the Umbrella Chronicles for Wii some time ago, haven't had much time yet to play it. I loaned The Conduit from my friend and I'm almost through that now, it was kind of a side project for me as I'm supposed to be playing Far Cry 2 and Ghostbusters...