Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Just picked up the keys...

Hitler has super-hearing?

Also, gratz. Having your own place is awesome. I miss it. Maybe if I save up for another year I will be able to afford a part-share in a shack. ALthough if I'm really lucky the housing market will finally crash before then.

It's a fab feeling! Savour that moment when you walk in... the bare walls, the bare rooms (maybe) bare floors...

The first few weeks suck, but you're happy to at least have your freedom. After the first few weeks, it becomes truly incredible.

I never really had any problems, not even in the first few weeks. Is that a rule? The transition was pretty seemless here from elderly home-room to awesome apartment.

Don't forget the seminal "oh no I've run out of instant noodles, now I have to buy food and cook it" moment. It's a rite of passage.

Seriously, learn to cook the good shit, if you can't already. Everyone will love you.

the worst is realising that stuff like fabric softener and toilet paper doesn't just appear, i still feel quite resentful every time i have to pay for stuff like that.

The household stuff didn't bother me in the slightest. Most of the adjusting for me was more along the lines of figuring out where to put things in the house and also losing things constantly, or going "WTF WAS THAT SOUND OMFG?!" in the middle of the night because you're not used to have upstairs and downstairs neighbors. :shifty:

My first room had the tendency to erupt once a night into the sound of a wooden plank snapping in twain very loudly for no apparent reason. That startled me the first time, until I realized the attic wasn't going to cave in.

I usually cook really simple things because it's too much effort to do elaborate things for myself. I do like being able to cook nice things though, so it's a skill well worth investing in. I love being able to invite a girl to my house and say 'I'll cook for you'.

"WTF WAS THAT SOUND OMFG?!" in the middle of the night because you're not used to have upstairs and downstairs neighbors. :shifty:

This takes on new dimensions when your upstairs neighbor is a lonely police officer who practices judo late at night.:(

He could be rolling around on the floor for other reasons but I'm too afraid to inquire.

Ouch, that does sound bad. I have a downstairs neighbour who will occasionally put on hardcore techno in the middle of a night, extremely loud, for like 10 minutes.

Also when I first moved in I kept hearing these desperate sounding moans, like MOooaaahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!?!?! Turned out there was a mentally impaired kid in my neighborhood. Before I had that information, those moans were really disturbing and weird.

haha, we used to live above this slightly extraverted mexican girl, and there were three other girls sharing this one room. didn't interfere with her sex life though. she had a really distinctive shrieky laugh, so we realy knew her voice. whenever she had a guy over, we'd hear *scream of pleasure* *running footsteps* *bang* over and over. seriously. i have no idea what she did. we used to have friends over and listen at the floor to try and figure it out. the only thing we could suggest was that she had tied the poor unfortunate to the wall and was taking a running jump at him each time.

So... the delivery van came with all my appliances, and it turns out my fridge didn't fit inside. So they had to take it back and I have to pick another one.