ThunderPeel2001

Bioshock: PC or 360? [NO SPOILERS!]

Jesus, with all the hype, I'm furiously masturbating to the very idea of playing it.

Good thing I have a 4:3 monitor, too!

In answer to the question in the thread title: 360.

No way am I touching this for PC. I'd rather suck Satan's stinking cock while having P2PBSH tatooed on my forehead than install this on a PC. The demo wouldn't install unless AVG anti-virus was uninstalled (disabling it = still no go), and I'm guessing that has something to do with the stupid, awful SecuROM copy protection they've built into the game (even the Steam version).

Furthermore, SecuROM demands that other, perfectly legit windows processes be stopped before it will work.

Fuck your running processes, fuck your anti-virus, fuck your security, a total illusion of copyright security that punishes honest buyers seems to be more important.

Reading blurbs about how such-and-such copy protection is invincible reminds me of hearing sci-babble in Star Trek: Sounds clever, but is completely imaginary and means fuck all. The only thing SecuROM, Starforce and the like cause is probably an increase in piracy.

They're already catching a tremendous amount of shit on the 2K forums for it. I'm kind of amused by it, and can't believe that they seriously thought that, at this point, there wouldn't be pirate copies floating about that were more user friendly.

Sure, although I don't think you're really sticking it to them by buying the 360 version instead. You're probably just making it less interesting to develop for PCs at all.

I thought companies were ditching copy protection because they realized that they are mostly just harming those who have paid for the products. Oh well..

What if you downloaded it via Steam?

I had the Process Explorer problem with the demo (downloaded through Steam) which pissed me off enough because it wasn't running and hadn't run since long before I downloaded the demo (apparently once it's been run once you have to restart before SecuROM will let you play any game). Just having to restart once pissed me off (especially because it told me it was due to a "running process"), but the rest of this, especially the two activations, is total shit.

I'm kind of wishing I had a 360 now. :(

I give it two more weeks before the new SecuROM has been cracked.

It's probably already broken, but not properly (like starforce was never completely broken).

And then they're back where they started, except they have a lot of pissed of clients.

Apparently, with SecuROM you can only activate a CD-key TWICE. Ever. :finger:

"Apparently" being the appropriate word, since you can activate it as many times as you like provided you uninstall the game where it has been previously installed. Not saying it's great, but it's not as bad as everyone is saying.

Well that *is* a tiny bit less worse, but:

- Still requires a net connection (to activate, but also surely to get installs "back").

- Still won't play nice with anti-virus software.

- Still won't play nice with windows.

- Users have to uninstall BioShock before reinstalling windows? Brill; fruitless paranoia wasting their customer's time.

- SecuROM has done precisely fuck all to stop the game from being cracked. It is an utterly pointless inclusion that adds nothing to 2K's security while annoying actual customers.

Leaving my Windows install without anti-virus for an hour while I checked out the demo is one thing (though still a gamble on securom doing nothing worse to my system), but for a couple of weeks while I play through the game? No fucking way!

It's not as bad as the Sony rootkits on music CDs thing, but it still stinks. Anyone who thinks DRM is worthwhile and has anything like a fighting chance must be drinking copious amounts of drugged Kool-Aid.

If this goes one I'll just pirate every fucking game I want to play, and when the industry stops making PC games for good and blames me because I didn't pay for my games I'll know in my heart that what really killed the PC games industry was the industry itself. Think about it, you dimwits: There is no advantage to purchasing your games, there are only disadvantages. That's the one thing you have to change.

Which is easy for me to say.

Hmm. Can someone clarify what the malware issue is with the PC version? I rushed out and got it the day it came out, and it's an incredible game, so this comes as a huge disappointment. What should I look out for to correct the issue?

Well, it isn't malware in the strictest sense, I guess. From what I hear it doesn't cause direct harm to the system, like some other protection schemes I could care to mention, like Starforce. It sounds like it could be harmful by forcing the user to disable security measures to play, though, and the annoyance factor of the install lock shit is just ridiculous. Good thing I 'll probably never play it more than once.

And the "It's not a problem if you're not a pirate" bullshit pisses me off. It's as pathetic as the "you have nothing to fear if you're not a criminal" line they're feeding people to put cameras everywhere.

Haha, exactly. People who want their privacy aren't criminals, they're people.

The Install thing does sound pretty ridiculous, but to be honest, I'm not buying two new computers any time soon.

The only thing that pisses me off is that my computer exceeds the minimum system requirements and it still freezes far to often to put me at ease.

Well, there doesn't seem to be any real proof behind the claim that Starforce is a malware. What is sure is that Starforce is very efficient against piracy... the thing is, in order to be, it relies on the fact that the user's disc drives should be of standar/high quality; and that's not the case for 10% of the PC gamer apparently.

Well, there doesn't seem to be any real proof behind the claim that Starforce is a malware.

Maybe not. Nevertheless, it's malware in every other aspect.

I'm not so sure it's a good argument against copy protection that people still pirate games, though.

Well, there doesn't seem to be any real proof behind the claim that Starforce is a malware.

Maybe not. Nevertheless, it's malware in every other aspect.

This makes no sense to me.

This makes no sense to me.

That's why I make the big bucks, kid.

No, uh, what i was getting at was that even though Starforce may never have been proven to actually damage computers, it's stil "malware", as in malicous against user. See?

FFS those stupid fucking cunts, I paid fucking money to for a game and can't fucking play it, ohh I have to phone up my software vendor and get an unlock code, "do they have any idea how fucking busy I am"

What fucktard thinks making a game harder to legally install than warze is a good idea, what a cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt. I imagine this will put a lot of cusual gamers off playing on PC.

Apparently the server is busy, clap, clap, clap

Well I'm off to get a crack.

The link is fine. It's a new(ly announced) PC gaming blog set up by Kieron Gillen, Jim Rossignol, et. al. Edited quote in so noone thinks it's a warez site :)