Sign in to follow this  
BooJaka

Lego to take over world, your soul

All you people raving about Lego Star Wars (a game which has been on my "to play" list for a while) are in for a treat, I would imagine.

That's right, Lego Indiana Jones! It doesn't roll off the tongue quite like the previous titles' uhh... titles but in a game about blocks, what's so bad about a blocky name?

Now it's official though, I guess it was kind of predictable in a way

history-turned-adventurer

I guess GameSpot could use a proofreader.

I didn't play LSW but this doesn't strike me as working quite as well. Star Wars is a really exaggerated, extreme series in the first place, which lends itself to Lego-ification, but Indiana Jones is more grounded (not to say realistic, but stylized in a different way that Lego wouldn't seem to be as suited for). But who knows? As I said I haven't even played the games.

Hmm, yeah I think I did catch wind of this.

But ALSO, the Lego MMO in the works... Now that is what I call awsome. They have the scope to add any "world" in at any time and it will fit perfectly. City Lego for a Second Life/sims type experience, Harry Potter or whatever lego for wow style fantasy, racing car lego for, well, racing games, and space or Star Wars lego for planetside/guildwars style deathmatch. And while most MMO's let you collect and upgrade your equipment, how many allow you to upgrade and swap out your fucking head!?

That's what I'd do with it anyway.

I doubt Lego's get clearance for their MMO to use other existing worlds. No Spider-Man, Star Wars, Harry Potter or whatnot, I'd venture a guess. That doesn't mean it won't be possibly great of course.

Actually, I think it'll be even better without all those other franchises muddying the concept.

No no no, you're missing the point. The most amazing thing about a Lego MMO is that it can show what User Generated Content really means. I'm very very excited about the potential of a Lego MMO (but also sad because it would be 100% my dream project to work on, and I'm not working on it).

Aren't Traveller's Tales working on Lego Batman as well? Whatever.

I can see Lego Indiana Jones working out quite well. The trailer seems to have kept the sense of humour from the LSW games quite nicely. Offering Bellack (Belloch?) the rubber ducky got an outburst of surprised giggling from me, at any rate. I'm impressed, and now am pretty pumped for this as well as the "Complete Saga" LSW thing that they'll be putting out with online co-op. Funny I'm not nearly as worried about the Lego franchises becoming repetitive and stale as I am things like endless Guitar Hero expansions. I guess when a franchise starts as the ultimate sell out, there's no outrage when it does so more.

A Lego MMO would be just great. After it all depends how the developer will build the game.

Like Marek said, it will be the best user generated content ever. The world can be totally constructed by the user.

The problem is what core gameplay the developer would like for the game. If they decide to do a WOW clone, it will be definitively not user driven. All items will be predefined.

I want to build my lego house, my lego pimp car, my lego giant robot and my lego dinosaurwhich will eat everybody :D

The Gummi Ships in Kingdom Hearts 2 might be a good starting point. You find various blocks with various powers, then you can build your ship with the powers that you want, limited by a points cost.

The Gummi Ships in Kingdom Hearts 2 might be a good starting point.

...is a sentence that should only be said if composing a list of "Why we should lynch the staff of Square-Enix."

...is a sentence that should only be said if composing a list of "Why we should lynch the staff of Square-Enix."

What? Why? I loved the gummi ships in the second game (although I've heard they were a bit naff in the first one).

The building system took me a while to figure out, but honestly the insane 'ahhhg-everything-is-exploding-around-me' gameplay of the space sections was more fun than the single button mashing of the main game.

Also yes, Lego Batman is cute, and the Lego Joker looks really friendly!

Well, in fairness I never played KH2, only the first one so that's all I have to go on. In KH, the gummi ships were horrible, controlled like you were trying to drive a hovercraft with your tongue, and turned aiming your cannon into a sisyphean ordeal. On top of all that, they looked like those little jelly candies you'd make in those "make your own candy... with SCIENCE!" lab things they'd try to push on kids in the early 90's that always tasted really gritty and made you think that science was only good for making shitty candy. Playing through the gummi segments to reach the next level was like individually plucking each pubic hair before you could gain access to some fantastic harem. You knew the payoff would be great, but damn if you weren't hampering your enjoyment of it just to get in there in the first place.

...in case you can't tell, I really didn't like the gummi ships.

Wow. I guess the gummi ships in the second game were much improved then. Several sessions I sat down and ignored the main game, just concentrating on getting an 'S' score on all the gummi ship missions.

I'm kind of a Disney fan, so I want to play the KH games for the designs, and the animation and the beauty of absurdingly mixing the FF and Disney universes... still, I HATE the Final Fantasy gameplay, so what to do ?

You're in luck, Vimes. The Kingdom Hearts gameplay is actually real-time RPG-lite. Kind of like Crystal Chronicles I guess. You have a melee atack button, a magic attack button, a context-sensitive reaction button. some special move buttons and a button that changes depending on which abilities you have equipped.

There's a little bit of depth there in the way you equip different abilities, but unless you choose the hardest difficulty mode you can get through most of the game by hammering the melee button (it is a kid's game afterall). Still, it's better than the normal FF menus rubbish. Oh, and the bosses are particularly great examples of the current trend in "Quick Time Events" (who the hell named them that? it's bloody confusing).