miffy495

Resident Evil 4 Wii

So, I found out you choose the difficulty when you start the game. How thoroughly retarded.

Anyway, I tried one last time, managed to take out all the henchmen with one grenade, then fired a bunch of bullets in him and finished him off with the blade. Now, after some running back and forth between foe and typewriter I'm loaded with bullets and adept at knife-killing. This suddenly became fun again!

Hooray! Congratulations. I played on the easier difficulty level, as I'd rather experience the game than frustration, but it always did seem to keep me on edge. Fighting the first of those giant ogre-things always kept me tense. I seemed to have about 1hp left no matter what I did, for the entire fight, until I finally killed the bastard. It really does feel rewarding when you can pull stuff like that off. I'm also reminded of the first time I killed that flying purple nutjob in Ninja Gaiden. I spent 3 hours retrying a damn 5 minutes fight, but when I killed her I was laughing like a maniac with joy.

Shoot them in the shins, they go down quicker. You can also supplex them when they're down which is pretty hardcore

Oh no, I just hooked up the Wii, and was about to resume my RE4 game, but I was scared shitless by the guy who says "Resident Evil FOOOOURRRRRRRRR" in the Wii menu. I wussed out and played some GTA multiplayer instead.

What? That's Resident Evil Guy! He belongs to the series like cheesy dialogue and clichéd zombie horror. Couldn't imagine a RE game without him :grin:

He's Capcom guy isn't he? Isn't he the same guy who says "welcome to the stage of history" in Soul Calibur games?

He's Capcom guy isn't he? Isn't he the same guy who says "welcome to the stage of history" in Soul Calibur games?

Soul Calibur is Namco

Dammit I thought I might be wrong but I couldn't think why, so I ran with it. Their logo has, like, the same exact typeface :P

I bet it's the same guy, moonlighting.

Nice try, but their logos aren't even slightly similar!

I feel I should mention Tecmo to try and confuse things further.

Anyway, this is the hardest game I've ever played. Not hard as in it being difficult to hit the bad guys or find the magic shit (in fact, since my bout with the chainsaw gentleman, I've only died like three times), but hard as in it being a mental tour de force for me to actually insert this game into the Wii, open the Disc Channel and quicklypressStartStartStartbeforethescaryvoicecomes, and actually start playing. This game freaks me out like nothing else. Since my last post in this thread I've completed the village part, and I'm about halfway in the castle. I've done the sewers with the invisible ceiling climbing lobsters and the room with a billion Spaniards, and the room where I have to protect both myself and the girl, and, just now, the maze with wolves, completing chapter 3-2.

I feel fucking hard core.

I want to play this game, and enjoy playing it, but it's hard getting myself to load it up, and every time I save the game I really want to quit. I do this with totally awesome games like World of Goo and Half-Life 2, too, but that's because I feel like I have this precious limited resource and I want to distribute it over as many sessions as possible. For the last couple of months I've been playing RE4 for about two hours a week (one on Saturday, one on Sunday) which is about what I can manage before I start pissing and shitting myself.

I got sick of the voice as well when I had it on PS2. I completed it and both the side-missions, like, five times over and got the Chicago Typewriter and everything, but I couldn't bear beating the first third on the Wii for some reason...

Really? I can't imagine playing it at all without manually aiming, which brings up two questions:

1. How was Resident Evil aiming handled before the Wii?
  2. How is it handled in RE5?

If it's not some brilliant auto aiming system... holy shit.

There was a laser sight on every weapon and you controlled it with the left stick, pressing R1/R to enter aim mode and using X/A to shoot (which is why you can't move and aim at the same time). It worked very well actually, I prefer it to the Wii's system.

I played the RE5 demo a while ago when it came out on the Japanese store, but I since haven't because they region locked it and my Gold ran out on my main account, but aiming is now on two sticks and it controls in a similar way to Gears of War. There is an option to use the RE4 controls, but it's a bad idea as the game's pace was clearly tailored for the new system when it was implemented and it's much harder to succeed if you plump for the old style. RE5 seems to be a weird sort of halfway house between a full on action game and the slower burning horror of number 4, and to be honest it's looking to be slightly awkward as an entry in the series because of that. It's fairly evident that Mikami wasn't involved.

Holy Maloney, I can't imagine a stick-controlled aiming being better than actually aiming.

Most people seem to have preferred the Wii's aiming. Perhaps I was just used to the "normal" style.

I want to play this again. I got most of the way through the castle, but didn't get to the maze part. I saw the maze whilst running around the battlements and corridors, but got stuck about then and didn't progress.

Really enjoyed it though.

I think I stopped playing the game right after I finished the maze. My (then) 4 year old nephew spent a week with me, and I couldn't really play it while he was around. Never got back to it after that...