Wormsie

Stuck in Psychonauts: Waterloo World

I'd need a gun for one peasant, but I can't find it from the castle. Any tips? (A descriptive screenshot would be awesome.)

Then why aren't you on the picture? ::pipe smoking smiley that should exist but doesn't::

it's in the right building,

you have to get there through the left building,

in the right building you have to play with matches

made you look

Get through the left building? Meaning the castle? What does "get through" mean? Jump from the other roof to the other?

Mooo.

That world is a bliss to traverse. Are spoilers or hints really necessary? It's not difficult (in fact I wish it would have had more strategic depth, like a real turn-based strategy game! (which apparently was in the planning, but DF had to dumb Psychonauts a bit down to make it more accessible and less adventurey.)), and you'd pretty much figure everything out just by going to places and interacting with them.

Are spoilers or hints really necessary?

No, not really, I'm asking just to make conversation. :shifty:

In other words, yes, I'm stuck.

You climb out into the left roof from inside the building to the left of the castle gate, then levitate over to the thatch surface of the right building from the left roof (you can see it in Moosferatu's picture). I forgot whether it was from a bouncing jump or off of a tightrope. Silly question: you are trying it as tiny Raz, right?

It was a pretty tricky jump as far as I remember.

The funniest moment in the game (or at least one that really ticked me) was when Raz "captures" the enemy's base by walking on it. His little victory dance (which was completely unexpected) cracked me up!

*sigh*

I wish I was stuck in Psychonauts... what a brilliant game.

yes, it's a difficult jump (from one roof to the other). You will have to use the ball and the levitation thing to get to the other side.

This thread is just making the wait for my xbox copy (and subsequent inevitable replay) that much harder. C'mon, Canada Post, get your shit together and deliver my package!

Thank you, I think I'll manage now.

I'd never have realised that there would be situations where I'd think "nah, that'd be too diffiult, surely nobody would think of something like that!" and then discover that yes, what I've thought to be too difficult is indeed something I have to do. I think that's one of the things that shows the game is designed by former adventure game developers. Sometimes the difficulty stems from strange directions.:(

well... when you spoke with the soldier he did show you where it was

By the time I had got myself around to the castle, I'd already forgotten where the weapon it was exactly. I remembered only a vague direction, and that the musket was there somewhere in the castle itself, actually.

Black Velvetopia! Some level!

What irks me occasionally is how difficult Psychonauts is. For example, now those psi-rats are bothering Raz constantly, making him fall down to the pit of sludge or just exploding and shooting him all the time so that he dies every three minutes.

Slightly exaggerated there. But some of the levels would have been challenging/interesting enough without the constant threat of death by censors/other creatures. Like Milkman Conspiracy - why, why insert a nightmare creature there all of the sudden? And why do all the enemies respawn always?

Sigh...

Some gameplay elements in Psychonauts are a bit clumsy, like also the sheer insane amount of things to collect -which isn't bad in itself, but it would've been nice if there had been more interesting mechanics associated with them. Also the pacing of the story is off here and there. I guess it's just that Double Fine didn't really have a lot of experience with the action-platformer genre and thus they made some less successful decisions.

Still though, apart from certain bits in Meat Circus it's all pretty doable and the game is basically made of redeeming features.

It's weird, I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer by any means, but I never found Psychonauts too hard, even in the Meat Circus (although it was the most difficult). I don't recall ever dying over and over (except in the Meat Circus), especially on the Velvetopia level... Wonder what I did differently? I'm NOT a "good" gamer.

One thing that could have been improved was the collecting of the arrow heads. It took forever to get enough just to buy something which was pretty much essential if you wanted to enjoy the game: The magnet thing that draws everything closer to you.

Why is this thread alive? someone is stuck? WTF is going on ¬¬

Why haven't you completed this game 4 times yet?

Like Milkman Conspiracy - why, why insert a nightmare creature there all of the sudden? And why do all the enemies respawn always?

Sigh...

I have heard it discussed that this is a boss from a level that was cut (burning orphanage), and is inserted here, which is why it feels random... it *is* random and I agree, I hated that part of the level. I guess someone at some stage demanded some kind of boss at that point in the game and they had one that was cut lying around, dunno. :)

It's pretty sad that you can clearly see how they had to make a lot of concessions to make the game more accessible and mainstream. There's just so much adventuring lying there barely touched upon. The best levels are the ones that are the most puzzley. Pity they didn't or couldn't develop that aspect further.

It's weird, I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore gamer by any means, but I never found Psychonauts too hard, even in the Meat Circus (although it was the most difficult). I don't recall ever dying over and over (except in the Meat Circus), especially on the Velvetopia level... Wonder what I did differently? I'm NOT a "good" gamer.
I didn't die in Velvetopia either, it was fun - althouh the end bosses are all exasperating, the final fight with the bull was actually interesting. I'm now climbing up in the insane asylum and it's slightly annoying.
One thing that could have been improved was the collecting of the arrow heads. It took forever to get enough just to buy something which was pretty much essential if you wanted to enjoy the game: The magnet thing that draws everything closer to you.
I was finally able to buy the magnet.

Maybe you just suck at finding arrowheads.

I bought the magnet after the first brain tumbler experiment