toblix

Braid

Am I late to the party on this?

http://www.northcountrynotes.org/jason-rohrer/arthouseGames/seedBlogs.php?action=display_post&post_id=jcr13_1170707395_0&show_author=1&show_date=1

This sounds totally awesome! I love special platform games, and this? This sounds pretty fucking special.

Also, what is happening with that cool silhouette 2d platform game that only had a little flash page advertising it and it seemed really cool and there was falling blocks and gears(not falling)?

well, until like yesterday I had never heard of Jonathan Blow, but it seems he's really famous or something. Is that jsut everyone else prentending like they know him so they don't seem stupid, or have i really missed out on this guy forever?

Isn't he like the Colin McKenzie of the game industry ?

Am I late to the party on this?

http://www.northcountrynotes.org/jason-rohrer/arthouseGames/seedBlogs.php?action=display_post&post_id=jcr13_1170707395_0&show_author=1&show_date=1

This sounds totally awesome! I love special platform games, and this? This sounds pretty fucking special.

Also, what is happening with that cool silhouette 2d platform game that only had a little flash page advertising it and it seemed really cool and there was falling blocks and gears(not falling)?

YES! Limbo. I'm really excited about it, but also frustrated that the website hasn't changed in about a year now.

THIS is Colin McKenzie as for Jonathan Blow... i don't have a clue.

I'd heard of him...I think it must have been on Grand Text Auto, or an interview somewhere. Anyway, I'm actually pretty interested in Braid, is there any release information anywhere?

Does anyone know if this game will be, like, sold? And if so, how?

Braid was at the Experimental Gameplay Sessions last year and blew my brains out. It's really awesome.

Jonathan Blow is a respected indie dev who organizes the Indie Games Jam (google it) and the Experimental Gameplay Sessions at GDC.

All you should know, if you want the full experience, is that Braid is a 2D platform game in which the player manipulates the flow of time. If you're willing to wait for an official release, you should stop reading here.

So I did.

/me puts fingers in ears, shuts eyes and constantly chants, "La-la-la-la-la!"

Looks like Braid is coming out to Xbox Live Arcade in early 2008. There's a lengthy video (spoils some of the gameplay twists and puzzles) from the Independent Game Summit about the gameplay and the designer's prototyping process.

I played this for a bit at GameCity in Nottingham this weekend. It's pretty cool, and yet another reason I'm tempted to get a 360.

Death is meaningless because you can rewind time without constraint, for instance I died three times in five seconds trying to pin down some timing. This gives the whole game a pleasingly experimental bent where you throw yourself into danger to see what happens rather than avoiding it.

Some of the puzzles have the same sort of "Eureka!" moments as Portal, in that you're interacting with a fairly traditional seeming Video game world in new ways.

Damnit... stop posting news about that. Or at least until it's actually released. I don't wan to anticipate this event. I just want to play the game.

maybe but, "This game will make jezus look like a crackpot" - ign.com

It won "Best Casual Game" at AIAS. Ouch!

I'm not sure if they were actually trying to insult Jon, or just determined to fit it in for an award around all the other good games that came out last year.

It won "Best Casual Game" at AIAS. Ouch!

I'm not sure if they were actually trying to insult Jon, or just determined to fit it in for an award around all the other good games that came out last year.

I think they give out the same awards every year. They just looked at Braid and thought "Hey it's downloadable and 2D... Casual!"