BooJaka

Ocarina of Time? More like Cock Arena of Slime... spoilers

The Ocarina Of Time -- My Struggle by SJJW Esq.

So as I earlier threatened, I went and bought Ocarina of Time and today, it arrived! So here we go with a running commentary on my thoughts of the game...

So far in day one, I don't feel I've gotten very far. I found the whole of the first area incredibly disorientating and frequently and ever so frustratingly found myself in exactly the same place I had just been getting away from. Having said that however, it was pretty fun to explore and throw rocks around and all that and I eventually discovered the sword (despite the fact it was in an area just after loads of signs telling you how to use the sword. Incredibly illogical) and, thanks to what I had read in the other thread, bought the shield which would have taken me a while if I didn't already know.

I then found the tree and yada yada, I'm pleased at the amount of hearts there are around and the simple fact that if you just wait for things to grow then you can get full health in no time. So anyway, I got the slingshot which is surprisingly easy to use, made my way through the web and... my dog stood on the reset button. That's right people, my dog stood on the reset button.

Luckily I'd saved it just when I got the shield (by accident...) so I haven't too much to do to get back but still. I haven't played it since.

I really want to comment on the graphics and the sound but it's kind of difficult to do so while taking into account the limitations of dated technology. The music cues, despite being made up of very obvious MIDI sounds, works well with the overlapping sound working well with what's happening on screen. As for the graphic style, everyone kind of looks a bit dumpy and more cartoony than I expected, having said that though the backgrounds and rooms and at quite a high standard and the things you can interact with, like rocks and grass, don't stick out so I suppose that's all good too.

Oh also, I LOVE the little buttons at the top helping you out but why does everyone in Link's village keep laughing?

Anyway, that's it for Day One

When I first played Ocarina of Time on the Gamecube a few years ago, I acclamatized to the graphics pretty fast. The game is pretty well designed, graphically, despite the low amount of polygons. I think it holds up pretty well because of that.

Honestly, these god damn thread titles. The whole "more like" thing is great and all, but talk about driving a joke a million miles into the ground and then throwing a load of sharks down on top of it. At least the Consolevania dudes knew not to use it in every single episode. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

As a general rant against everyone, mind!

As a general rant against everyone, mind!

General Rant? More like... Perennial Plant!

Sorry that was so bad, but I couldn't resist. :grin:

Damn it! I've missed the boat :( My life is so boring that I hadn't been able to make a More Like topic yet.

We'll see how far you make it. When I played OoT for the first time off of the bonus disk that came with Wind Waker, I got bored mighty fast. Around the third dungeon, I think. And I loved Wind Waker. Not sure as to why that was though (the quitting, not the loving Wind Waker part).

stupidrant.jpg

The fact that the game pretty much looks like ass and has mechanics that're far less fine-tuned than Wind Waker is probably a factor.

I was honestly gob smacked when I gave Ocarina of Time a spin last year. My mind's eye remembered the game as looking much like Twilight Princess, as the graphics were indeed very engaging back in 1997 or whatever when it came out. I reckon this is the case for a lot of people, and for newcomers I'm surprised they can get their head around the visuals at all. Wind Waker is fairly unique in that it has graphics that'll never age substantially, while Twilight Princess is sadly going to suffer just as badly as Ocarina of Time I think.

One advantage of being a fan of old 2D adventure games with superb artists. :tup:

Honestly, these god damn thread titles. The whole "more like" thing is great and all, but talk about driving a joke a million miles into the ground and then throwing a load of sharks down on top of it.

Oh come on, this is my first worthwhile contribution to this forum. You've gotta let me this one at least

This thread title was disconcertingly foul though; just imagine the unsavory types you're reeling in from bizarre, late-night google searches.

Anyhow, Ocarina of time is an ugly brute, no doubt, but a player can acclimatize to the graphics if he is willing to devote some time at the beginning. Personally I think it's strange having this game topping 'best of' lists everywhere, Windwaker was very similar and much better (I theorize that a lot of people missed their horsey). If you are plumbing the back catalog of videogaming for classics there are better games to spend your time on. Even just from 1998.

If by "miss my horsey" you mean "dislike spending hours upon hours of pointless sailing in an MS Paint Bucket Tool Ocean and compounding that with needless backtracking and Rupee Hunting for Tingle to make seven maps that I had already found useable", then yes.

Yes, I missed my horsey VERY much.

Confession: I never finished this game! Am I a bad person?

Am I a bad person if I never actually played the game myself, but watched it beaten at a friend's house?

You know, I've just realised that this thread title is in fact fucking superb. :tup:

I really don't agree with people saying it's impossible to get into Ocarina because of the graphics. Now this might be just that I can acclamatize easier to old games (a housebrother of mine for instance can't even get past the visuals of Secret of Mana, whereas I, never having seen the game either, thought they were charming), but Ocarina is -within its technical limitations- certainly not ill-designed. Design overrules polygons, up to a certain point, a point which Ocarina by the way never even negatively approaches.

I won't go into a discussion whether Windwaker is better or not. Both games have their good points and bad. The style of WW personally did more for me that OoT, and yes, WW will age better over time, but both of them have their weaknesses and strengths.

When first playing OoT, by the way, I quit for a while after the third temple, then picked it up again after months and finished it. I didn't think it was boring. In fact, some of the best things come after that. There was definitely a charm to the game. Wouldn't mind playing it again, in fact.

Ok, I've now made it through the big talking tree (who promptly died) and I've now become quite acquainted with the graphics and the music is becoming less and less noticeable (which is a good thing) though I still seem to crack up every time something bleeps. I guess it's some kind of homage to the previous games but it seems so ridiculously out of place it's just funny.

So all in all I'm still enjoying it. I did find the end of the tree dungeon pretty annoying though. I spend ages groping around in that dark room for a door or something to climb of some kind of trigger or whatever when all I had to do was look up :frusty:

Heh. Stupid looking up. I started a replay a couple of weeks back. Got halfway through the water temple, (dungeon 6) and then the current term of uni really went into full swing. I haven't had time to play much other than Guitar Hero since. Hoping that when things calm down a bit I'll have a chance to finish up. I stand by my earlier statement that WW is the best of the 3Ds, and Link's Awakening the best of the 2Ds. Love those games.

As for the threat titles, this one is fucking great. I look forward to seeing what people come up with for different games. A while back I was pissed off with Geometry Wars because I got over 500000 points and it didn't save it or give me the damn achievements. Was going to make "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved" into "Gee, Where're My High Scores? Record Dissolved," but then someone made a thread about being pissed of with Xbox Live in general and it never got posted. There goes my chance to really make a contribution.

As for the threat titles, this one is fucking great. I look forward to seeing what people come up with for different games. A while back I was pissed off with Geometry Wars because I got over 500000 points and it didn't save it or give me the damn achievements. Was going to make "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved" into "Gee, Where're My High Scores? Record Dissolved," but then someone made a thread about being pissed of with Xbox Live in general and it never got posted. There goes my chance to really make a contribution.

That is an incredible "More like". Probably my favorite. You should have posted that thread title anyway even if you technically could have posted in an existing thread, I think this one had to be heard. :grin:

I can't talk about this without thinking about the Posting and You flash on AlbinoBlackSheep a few years ago.

Maybe we should just collate all of these awful topic names into one long post of their own, for posterity?

Now I've done it.

All I can say now is that any game where I can fly by grabbing a chicken against its will is absolutely inspired

Having said that, the graphics became a bit of an issue today in that I had no idea where the guards of the castle were looking in order to get passed them. I managed it in the end though (even if I did spend most of that time trying to get past the big rock in the dead end :frusty:)

I also got some batteries for my Rumble Pack today. Let the good times... vibrate?

I've been whiling away at it in silence for a couple of days now but it's time for a progress update...

So the man with the big nose told me to talk to the hand and it seems my body was locked away for seven years because I was too young to deal with it (uhh... what? Link looks about 14 now, it makes that much of a difference?) and so everything's gone to crap over those years I've been away. A little silly, but I get it. Just as I was starting to enjoy the boomerang too...

Anyway, I made my way to the Forest Temple today and I suddenly realise why whenever anyone raves about Zelda they talk about the atmosphere. The mood of that place is brilliant. I was playing it at 2:30 in the afternoon, some big skeleton guys burst out the ground and I jumped. It was bright light and I was so engrossed in it I actually jumped back. That's pretty impressive. So right now I feel that for everything anyone has said about the graphics of this game they are made insignificant to the amount of atmosphere those graphics can create.

I believe that "adult" Link is 16, so I know what you mean. Glad you're enjoying it, you seem to be proving me wrong. As for atmosphere, wait until you've been down the well and through the Shadow Temple. With the exception of the kinda silly boss fight, that place is awesome. It's just too bad that you don't need to start buzzing back and forth in time to solve puzzles until right near the end of the game. The Spirit and Shadow temples are brilliant, but there's just not enough of 'em.

You know, regarding the title I'm kind of worried about what I'm gonna put if I ever write about Majora's Mask. "Majora's Ass" doesn't really work...