manny_c44

I stepped in some Knytt

Have you guys heard of this free game Knytt? It's a non-violent platformer where you collect pieces of your crashed ship a la Pikmin...on the page the developers cite Shadow of the Colossus and Ico as influences; it has a very nice feel, and it makes all sorts of interesting points about how sound and design can make a game's environment substantial, even when the objectives and interactions are so primitive.

shot7.png

Downloading as I type this. It sounds very interesting.

[edit]

After playing for a bit I'm pretty impressed by it's awesomeness. It's a really nice time waster. Very cute and some great audio effects too!

[edit2]

Oooh! There's a complete map of the game as well, hidden on their site. It's a bit of a spoiler so only look at it if you're stuck or just want to see how big knytt is. (It's big! Maybe huge is a better description: 32400x1665 pixels! o.O) http://members.chello.nl/p.strik8/fullmaps/KNYTT/Knytt.png

Dude, you should like.. be their PR man. I'm convinced this is the best game of 2006. Downloading right now!

Oh, and I mean it. I don't believe this is the best game of 2006, but you just near convinced me, though.

It's really quite awesome. I played it last weekend, but I got stuck after finding the fourth or fifth artefact. I really couldn't jump my way out of that part of the maze anymore, which must be an error on my part.

Great world design though, with those little creatures and people running here and there. Or even, hither and thither. Why, it gave me even Samorost-like feelings. Shall we pick a date?

Yeah, this is addicting as hell. I just love exploring the world, especially when you find neat little characters hiding around like the two bickering horse-like things on each end of an underground lake. It just gives the whole thing sort of a purpose, as more of an exploration of exotic places instead of just hunting for those parts. I hardly ever use the A button, anyway. Just love getting lost in the world.

And the music makes this just so much more fun and involving.

Awesome. Thanks for posting it.

nice game...

and holy hidden passages batman.

at some places you can simply walk through the wall. Or at least I found two locations.

What?! I was wondering what was up with some of the dead-ends. Guess that was it, then?

What?! I was wondering what was up with some of the dead-ends. Guess that was it, then?

it wasn't at a dead end.

check the screenshot (the red arrow is obviously mine)

post-814-13375602981017_thumb.png

Fun little game. Pretty easy, but very atmospheric. There's a line in the credits which says "secret game music." Is there a hidden minigame somewhere in the landscape?

OOO I love this game. My friend introduced me to it a week or so ago and I just sat down in the middle of homework and beat it in 1.5 hours. Its huge, and great replayability. I just love how much there is to see...

Fun little game. Pretty easy, but very atmospheric. There's a line in the credits which says "secret game music." Is there a hidden minigame somewhere in the landscape?

Through a hidden passage you'll reach a teleporter that will teleport you in the sky on a cloud, when you go down a screen you'll see another teleporter. This will take you to another sky city which as a question mark block that unlocks the secret game (screenshot attached)

It's a helicopter clone.

If I look at the complete map I see a couple of other questionmark blocks (3 in total). I wonder if they unlock other games.

post-814-1337560298122_thumb.png

It appears so; there's another blank box on the credits screen next to the one for the helicopter clone.

Adding these to the ini (one only)

[secrets]

Extra=Balloon

[secrets]

Extra=Hang Glider

will make exploring a lot easier.

Excellent game, like SMB meets Jet Set Willy.

ok, found one of the other questionmark thingys and it showed me this.

apperently it activates low gravity

[edit]

Also found the 3rd secret. It adds well.. a secret song.. nothing more

[secrets]

BouncySong=1

for the rest no special things, except some extra difficult secret passages

Now playing this game

post-814-13375602981351_thumb.png

Have you guys heard of this free game Knytt?

Yup -- it's been linked in my signature for a week or more already. :fart:

Smashing little game. Make sure you guys check out it's predecessor, Within a Deep Forest; the gameplay is very similar but the music... stunning.

Within A Deep Forest has some crazy gameplay, I gotta say. I like it. I'm really having a difficult time with it, tough.

Beautiful. I haven't played a game with a sense of exploration this joyful and engaging in a long time. Played for at least half an hour before I began even attempting to accomplish anything. Can definitely see the influence of the Uedaverse but it reminds me more strongly of Another World, minus the difficulty and combat. Maybe that's just me being superficial.

I think the sparseness of interactivity with the gameworld actually enhances the atmosphere, what with having all these exotic creatures who you're incapable of communicating with in any way. Makes me want to get off my arse and create something.