Ginger

New PsP adverts

They are airing in the UK (a lot) and consist of two bits of dust discussing going outside and one them saying he can't because he is watching carpet and then the other informs him that there is portable carpet, the advert ends with words along the lines of, the PsP carpet u can play outside.

WTF is this advert meant to do, be so crap that it places the psp in your mind so that next time you’re out u might pick one up on an impulse (yeah right) or remind u of the fact that the playstaion portable is portable, (portability is advertised much better in the DS advert mentioned below).

I reckon that by far the best way to advertise a console is to show its games and capabilities, not to try and create a cool image for the device by using dust, do many people not buy a psp because they think their image will be injured by playing it in public?

I think it was one of the medal of honour games a few years ago that was advertised by showing in-game footage of the Omaha beach landing, and that created such a big buzz around the non-gamers I knew. Thinking of adverts at the moment, the GTA:VC stories shows in game footage and is an alright advert, the Nintendo DS one shows a pretty girl playing nintendogs on her pink ds in various public places and also shows in-game footage, what better way can there be of advertising it, it shows it’s flexibility, touch screen and one of it’s big games.

God, not having a TV (being one of those obnoxious wankers who likes to loudly advertise the fact I don't watch TV because I'm smarter than you... no not really I just don't know how to connect all the wires up because I'm a woman - quite the opposite of smart! - and I am intimidated by all the wires at the back of the TV)...

...er...

...not having a TV, I hadn't seen that advert. Luckily, youtube has it:

Wow it's shit.

I've noticed that most Sony hardware ads seem to feature stupid irrelevant stuff... this is probably their least shit ad yet... Have you seen the PS3 one? The one with the doll? Jesus it's bad. and pointless.

I also personally enjoyed the ad with the squirrels, but I seriously doubt it's good advertising. Using in-game footage is better, though there's been controversy over many ads using prerendered footage and making it seem like it's in-game.

The best ads, in my opinion, are the ones that use actors but are a metaphor for specific games or playing games in general. The early 360 "Jump In" commercials were genius. As was the Nintendo ad where someone throws a banana peel in a desert and a car on the other side of the world slips. I also loved the original Playstation "Double Life" ad, truly groundbreaking at the time.

Those ads all say something about the product or the act of playing a game, while still offering opportunities for general image building.

The ones in the UK sponsoring comedy shows on Channel 4 are great, they show a huge DS backdrop with people acting out parts of the best selling games.

Also, the old Double Dash one with the old woman in the airport was also pretty awesome.

I'll try and find them on Youtube when I have a bit more time (unless someone wants to beat me to it...)

Too late, I found them:

New Super Mario Bros. Advert

Double Dash!

One game commercial that I still remember has to Super Mario Advance for the GBA launch. In that one, a group of people were in the airport, and picking up vegetables and other people and then throwing them at each other, in a bizarre motion. All the while, a pleasant female said stuff like:

"Pluck things from the ground, and hurl them at your enemies."

"Pluck your enemies from the ground, and hurl them at your other enemies."

Hilariously strange.

Ah, here it is:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FV3DpQDiN8s

The ones in the UK sponsoring comedy shows on Channel 4 are great, they show a huge DS backdrop with people acting out parts of the best selling games.

Also, the old Double Dash one with the old woman in the airport was also pretty awesome.

I'll try and find them on Youtube when I have a bit more time (unless someone wants to beat me to it...)

Too late, I found them:

New Super Mario Bros. Advert

Double Dash!

Wasn't there one for a Metroid game?

Gotta love this one

Yeah that's pretty good. Shows off the gameplay concept quickly, has some humor to it and even throws in a millisecond of gameplay. :tup:

Wasn't there one for a Metroid game?

Yeah I think so, there were some other games too like Tetris and... some others I don't remember but the basic idea is there with the Mario one